Yamaha SACD CD S2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is a decent player. The DAC is PCM1792A (one per each channel, set in "mono" mode), I/V stage has OP275 (Japan/Europe) or NE5532 (US), diff/filter stage has NE5532...
I would definitely swap those OpAmps with something better.

The only thing that is bugging me is that the CD/SACD decoding is done by a general use uP (M30302) instead of one of Sony's specialized cips. Clock for it is a generic 10MHz one, so the processing must be async inside...
(My Denon has the Sony CXD2753 and my Toshiba has Philips SAA7893 as dedicated SACD decoders).
And that it is only stereo. My SACD player is stereo/surround and I definitely prefer the 5.1 versions of the albums. But that's just me.

Last edited:
"Vacuum State Electronics". Bull, IMHO...
Fitted with some nice OpAmps you will get better results (tubes aren't doing a good job as I/V conversion). You could try also some HDAM output stage (more expensive and not sure what improvement would provide compared with OpAmps like LM4562, ADA8559, OPA1642, etc...).

Last edited:
"Vacuum State Electronics". Bull, IMHO...
Fitted with some nice OpAmps you will get better results (tubes aren't doing a good job as I/V conversion). You could try also some HDAM output stage (more expensive and not sure what improvement would provide compared with OpAmps like LM4562, ADA8559, OPA1642, etc...).

Sorry but your opinion here is wrong. VSE don't use vacuum tubes in any of their SACD mods. And the main point of the modifications is to get rid of opamps in the analogue stage.

Planet10

Thanks for the VS link. It certainly opens new possibilities which I need to explore

My own CD player caps were replaced with Panasonic and that made an improvement but then I have heard expensive modified Theta players which afterwards sounded unmusical to me. So it quite important for me to audition a player versus reading reviews.

I also just heard that if I go the Yamaha route I possibly need to wait 4 months for a silver unit !

Jozua

Gents

I eventually bought the Yamaha SACD CD S2000 player and after extended listining sessions I am am quite pleasantly surprised by the performance. Give it a good SACD disk and the machine delivers a stunning performance.

Interestingly:

a) I thought that there would be a massive difference between SACD and normal CD Disks. Some normal CD's still sound exceptional and;
b) That the reviewers gave the machine a mixed response My personal view is that the the recording qulaity is more likely the deciding factor and not the player.

Regards

Jozua

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.