DIY CD-Player: Component Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can help with basic info but I'm not a digital expert by any stretch.

A cd player generally has no need for a receiver chip as the transport sends a stream of data to the decoder chip that converts the stream into a format that is compatible with the dac chip being used.

Generally, a receiver chip like the CS8416 or others is used in an outboard dac unit to receive data and clock info from an SPDIF stream, and convert it to a format that it's dac chip can use.

SPDIF is strictly a transmission format used solely for interconnection between stand alone digital units using coax cable or toslink. SPDIF is not used in a player, but most players do have an SPDIF ouput that is usually generated by the decoder chip such as SAA7210 and many,many others. Even many players without a digital output have the capability, but the manufacturer has chosen not to include one for cost cutting purposes. You would have to research your decoder chip to see if it is available in your unit. Many older Philips/Magnavox players have the capability, I have several different ones.

I hope I have helped a little.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.