Door wont open on my X707ES CD Player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2010, 04:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Door wont open on my X707ES CD Player

I left a CD in my CD player (Sony X707ES) overnight.

The player reads CD's from beginning to end with no problems. In fact, I played several times Nat King Cole's Greatest Hits, which is over 74 minutes long with absolutely no issues at all. The Laser seems to be OK!?!?!? . . . right???

However, when I tried to open the player, I can hear the motor trying to open the door, but the door just refuses to open. When it stops trying to open the door, I can hear the CD spinning inside, but nothing happens. It will not play the CD.

I have previously had problems with the door opening, and I obtained the replacement belt to rectify the problem, though I have not replaced the belt yet.

It seems that the player will not release the CD so that the door can go to open mode (I'm a novice at this) because when the door would open previously, I remember hearing a sound like a click (sort of) when the disc itself is released. I don't hear that now. Now I just hear the whirring sound of the motor trying to open the door, which remains stuck closed.

I do know that the sound from this particular player is amongst the best I have listened to, and I would like to get this glitch fixed.

I heard that there may be a defect somewhere in the circuit board on an electrical piece that controls the opening/closing of the door, but I can't seem to find that information.

When I first got this player, I took off the top to have a look, and I did notice that there were a number of red lights on the circuit board to the right of the drawer. They were all lit except one, which was not lit. I did not interfere with it as the player was working fine as far as reading discs from beginning to end.

I would really appreciate any and all comments, especially from those of you who have experienced similar difficulties.

Thanks in advance
Old 15th July 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Been too long since I've worked on the model to recall specifically, and the service manual does not illuminate the question, but there should, theoretically, be an access hole in the bottom panel, under the front of the disc area, which allows manual unloading by flatblade screwdriver. Chances are that something simply popped out of joint, and manually cranking open will pop things back in place. If you meet resistance, don't turn very hard, but try turning back and forth with minor force until it wants to continue unloading.
Old 16th July 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The belt could be slipping on the pulley. Clean the pulleys and change the belt could help. With the cover off, try and give the tray a nudge as you eject. On old players the belt can get a kink in one spot and causes the belt to slip.

The click you heard before would be the magnet lifting off the CD drive spindle platter and unless the drawer starts to eject, this will not happen as it's tied in with drawer opening and closing timing.

Last edited by rabbitz; 16th July 2010 at 07:02 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!