MOD Pioneer PD-91

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pd91 Equivalent modern day dac

I love the pioneer pd91 this was one of the best CD players ever made. I had one many years ago and I have heard nothing since to match it in sound, it was better than vinyl and the detail and warmth that come from the midrange is incredible, it was as close to organic as ive ever heard.

I tried upgrading it once to then modern CD player such as marantz 67 ki sigs, myriad, rega planet and adding various dac etc but they sounded like cheap midi system cd players in comparison. I just prefer the convenience of mp3 / flac these days though but this CD player sounds exquisite in every way.

The PD 91 is still a good player but getting very long in the tooth now I wouldn't consider buying another now, can anyone give any advice of a modern DAC that will bring this sort of sound, as im only interested in playing from a PC these days. I now they were dual burr browns (16bit I think ) in this unit but what modern DAC chips can match or better this players sound, id be very interested to find out.

Pioneer PD91 – any suggestions for a modern day external DAC equivalent.

Hi All

Does anyone know an equivalent DAC (or even possibly a DAC/headphone amp) that has a similar tonality and the detail resolution of a PD91 CD player. This was by far the best sounding source I’ve ever owned, but I just play mp3’s/Flac files these days so looking for a DAC as good as.

Any experience or suggestions,, please…..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.