Marantz cd6000 faulty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a Marantz cd6000 ki. It has cracked open a diode in the power supply circuit and the transformer is running hot. There is no display and no sound. I suspect a reg or transistor or poss cap. Can anyone help as I cannot plug it in to check anything. Just need an idea of where to look! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Barry

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, I have a Marantz cd6000 ki. It has cracked open a diode in the power supply circuit and the transformer is running hot. There is no display and no sound. I suspect a reg or transistor or poss cap. Can anyone help as I cannot plug it in to check anything. Just need an idea of where to look! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Barry

It was an Arcam last time around wasn't it :)

It would be a big help to see a circuit, however without you need to to first see what the diode feeds directly... cap, regulator etc which you suspect.
I take it one end of the diode goes to the mains tranny, in othe words just a normal rectifier application.
Take the diode out and read on ohms across the cap it feeds... you never know what that might show... probably nothing but it has to be done.
There's a 70% chance that just replacing the diode and electroylitic and reg assuming that's what it feeds will fix it. Any 1amp diode should be OK to fit as a test such as IN4004 etc.

Edit... remembered this thread... not quite the same model but no display... is it the same diode of the PSU ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/147694-marantz-cd5000-display-very-dull-help.html

Last edited:
Hi Mooly, I'm glad you remembered. It is a simple circuit from the transformer. There are 4 diodes, 8 caps and a pair of regulators for -12 and +12. Unless of course it is whatever they are feeding that's at fault. Iv'e replaced the diode, but still the trany is hot and nothing works. I will get new regs and check the caps tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Cheers Barry

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Did it do that before the other fault, or has this occured since ?

Maybe check the supply to the loading motor driver as it operates. Always check all the supplies as a first thing with any faulfinding.

It's either lack of power (supply voltage) to the motor or something mechanical...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Check the supplies... check 5 volts is on the TDA7073 motor drive IC's and that it stays at 5 volts when the motor tries to open the drawer. Also measure directly across the motor to make sure 5 volts is present. If it plays a disc the sled is fine... it's a different motor that opens the drawer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.