Marantz cd6000 faulty - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2010, 08:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz cd6000 faulty

Hi, I have a Marantz cd6000 ki. It has cracked open a diode in the power supply circuit and the transformer is running hot. There is no display and no sound. I suspect a reg or transistor or poss cap. Can anyone help as I cannot plug it in to check anything. Just need an idea of where to look! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Barry
Old 29th June 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry.childs View Post
Hi, I have a Marantz cd6000 ki. It has cracked open a diode in the power supply circuit and the transformer is running hot. There is no display and no sound. I suspect a reg or transistor or poss cap. Can anyone help as I cannot plug it in to check anything. Just need an idea of where to look! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Barry
It was an Arcam last time around wasn't it

It would be a big help to see a circuit, however without you need to to first see what the diode feeds directly... cap, regulator etc which you suspect.
I take it one end of the diode goes to the mains tranny, in othe words just a normal rectifier application.
Take the diode out and read on ohms across the cap it feeds... you never know what that might show... probably nothing but it has to be done.
There's a 70% chance that just replacing the diode and electroylitic and reg assuming that's what it feeds will fix it. Any 1amp diode should be OK to fit as a test such as IN4004 etc.

Edit... remembered this thread... not quite the same model but no display... is it the same diode of the PSU ?
Marantz CD5000 - display very dull - help?

Last edited by Mooly; 29th June 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 29th June 2010, 08:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Mooly, I'm glad you remembered. It is a simple circuit from the transformer. There are 4 diodes, 8 caps and a pair of regulators for -12 and +12. Unless of course it is whatever they are feeding that's at fault. Iv'e replaced the diode, but still the trany is hot and nothing works. I will get new regs and check the caps tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Cheers Barry
Old 29th June 2010, 09:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Could happen to be ROASTED the trany . May a thin wire that brings power to the crystal display ,to be burned ,or not ...that is the question !
I would check the secondaries before desoldering anything else...
well ,at least only one leg a diode
Old 29th June 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I hope it's not the trany. I'm too scared to try it. I did replace it to start with, with a trany from a cd67 and that didn't work. I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable but not certain. The ki has a pretty toroid which I would have a job replacing I think.
Old 30th June 2010, 06:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Trannys are pretty tough... until the insulation melts it will survive. Take the diodes out, see if the tranny still gets hot.

4 diodes wired as a bridge ? replace all 4 and all electroylitic caps they feed together with the regs.

Manual from here,
http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals.shtml

Last edited by Mooly; 30th June 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 30th June 2010, 07:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have ordered new diodes, regs, caps and transistors (there are four very near the diodes) from RS. Should get them tomorrow when I will report back. Cheers Barry.
Old 30th June 2010, 07:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

OK
The manual from the above link is free... have a look. You just need to register.
Old 30th June 2010, 07:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

That's great Mooly, I will be able to check the transformer voltages now as well. I will wait until I have fitted the other bits, then I will refit the trani but only wire the mains side. I can then check the other side before connecting. Yippy!
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well I swapped a load of stuff and now it works. Thanks everyone. Next problem is a bit weird. When I open or close the drawer, it only moves a little bit. There is nothing stuck in there and the gearing all looks ok. It's as if it is being told to do that! Any theories welcome.

Hide this!Advertise here!