Comments on PCM1794A DAC design - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2010, 08:06 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Take a look by all means, but don't try that at home. This is quite a good example of how not to do a DAC output stage - in particular the decoupling. Are all those thick (power) traces ground fills?
Board looks different, schematic is just that - schematic...
Attached Images
File Type: png board1.png (139.1 KB, 456 views)
File Type: png board2.png (33.1 KB, 432 views)
Old 28th June 2010, 09:07 AM   #22
novec is offline novec  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to novec
Quote:
Are you really sure sensitive analog circuits are going to be better off with multiple built-in 2MHz oscillators? Especially as each reg has its own and they won't be synchronised.
Sure? Never :-) But I'm trusting Pierre on this. If he says it's good, it's good enough for me. And the specs do look nice.

I'll start off with two DAC boards, with and without SRC, and shuffle things around a bit to be able to experiment with Iref resistors and PSU resistors and caps. They'll still be separate boards so I can test both zapfilter and LM4562 output stage.

If I keep the PSU resistors for each rail, how do I decide on the values? DIR draws 2x 8.3 mA, SRC draws 2 + 66 mA. DAC Idd draws 23-45 mA depending on sampling frequency and ~35 mA Icc. There's no separate power data for the three Vcc rails.

Last edited by novec; 28th June 2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: PSU resistors
Old 28th June 2010, 09:26 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'm having a little difficulty understanding the Denon circuit... I can see that the first six opamps are the regular I/V and summing circuits, and IC406-1 single ends it all. But what's IC406-2 and all the transistors for?
Old 29th June 2010, 12:33 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by novec View Post
But what's IC406-2 and all the transistors for?
IC406-2 looks to be a switchable gain stage (0dB, 6dB) but I can't think why its needed. The transistors on the output side (TR402/3) are for pop/click suppression on power up/down or output muting (which is the same thing). Notice they're the 'wrong' way around - I dimly recall that a transistor connected in such a way has a lower saturation voltage.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:36 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by novec View Post
And the specs do look nice.
Yes they do - how clever of them to limit the specified noise bandwidth to 100kHz when that little charge pump runs at 2MHz
Old 29th June 2010, 01:34 AM   #26
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

does the player include HDCD decoding? - the standard requires gain change
Old 29th June 2010, 03:13 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys...
I'm just keeping an eye on this thread... my design includes some complicators... I decided to regulate each voltage rail separately.. +5Va, +3V3 digital, +5VaR, +5VaL... using LT1763-xV, and analog outs are via OPamp.. LME49722 (4562 version2)...

I was thinking about hires sources of signal: maybe SRC is just a jitter reclocker than anything... is not 24/48K enough? If so, I would get SRC out and put a PMD100 in the circuit, the clock is supplied like "the Flea" and is near.

just thoughts... not to disturb your thread. :-)

About Denon: yes, 2930 and family has HDCD... that output is for gain purpose of HDCD lower out. Mine is a little different as 2930 uses PCM1791.
But the DAC project is intended to be used with SD card player.

Regards.

Hisatugo.
Old 29th June 2010, 03:34 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Smile taking part of it...

to who may interest...

Attached Images
File Type: png himedac.png (193.3 KB, 408 views)
Old 29th June 2010, 08:16 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IC406-2 looks to be a switchable gain stage (0dB, 6dB) but I can't think why its needed. The transistors on the output side (TR402/3) are for pop/click suppression on power up/down or output muting (which is the same thing). Notice they're the 'wrong' way around - I dimly recall that a transistor connected in such a way has a lower saturation voltage.
M'kay. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to mess with it.

Quote:
Yes they do - how clever of them to limit the specified noise bandwidth to 100kHz when that little charge pump runs at 2MHz
Sulplise, sulplise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisatugo View Post
Hi Guys...
I'm just keeping an eye on this thread... my design includes some complicators... I decided to regulate each voltage rail separately.. +5Va, +3V3 digital, +5VaR, +5VaL... using LT1763-xV, and analog outs are via OPamp.. LME49722 (4562 version2)...
I was considering the same, but decided it was too overkill, even for me... With ten channels, that's 20 more regulators.

Quote:
I was thinking about hires sources of signal: maybe SRC is just a jitter reclocker than anything... is not 24/48K enough? If so, I would get SRC out and put a PMD100 in the circuit, the clock is supplied like "the Flea" and is near.
I'll want to try 192 kHz upsampling with the SRC, but its main function is reclocking. But as stated earlier, I'm suspecting (and hoping) the Lynx AES16 source clock is clean enough to skip the whole SRC.

Quote:
just thoughts... not to disturb your thread. :-)
This kind of "disturbance" is exactly what makes diyAudio forums great

Last edited by novec; 29th June 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 29th June 2010, 03:42 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
does the player include HDCD decoding? - the standard requires gain change
That's exactly what it is.

Hide this!Advertise here!