Luxman DZ-03

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,
my beloved Luxman CD player DZ-03 has started skipping on various tracks, mostly in the beginning of a CD though. Would any of you be in possesion of the service manual for this CD player?? If so I would be really greatful. (waiting with my fingers crossed):eek::eek::eek:.

Don't have the manual, but I know the unit. Odds are that you have one of two platter spinning problems. Either a)the platter motor simply needs a spray of silicone-based lub up the back end to dislodge & prevent carbon build-up on the commutator, and/or b)the thrust bearing plate that presses the disc clamp against the platter has a hole worn into it, which would need to be sanded down to flat again, polished & greased(unless it has a magnetic clamper that uses no thrust bearing, in which case, it is almost certainly the first fault). The KSS152A laser it uses rarely goes bad in any way other than failing to play certain or all discs, so it is not likely a laser problem.

Small update.
No luck yet, replaced both laser and spindlemotor, and the error is still the same. Found out though, that the DZ-03 is identical to the D-103U except for some cabinet parts. Would any of you happen to have the service manual for the D-103U????

Attachments

• Luxman D-103.JPG
    Luxman D-103.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 322
  • luxman D-103u tube output.jpg
    luxman D-103u tube output.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 299
  • luxman DZ-03 tube output.jpg
    luxman DZ-03 tube output.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 405
Latest update, guys :)
I´m now a happy man again. It finally showed the error worse than ever, like not being able to do anything than read the index. It was the laser-slide-motor. Seemed like too much dust and corrosion on the Commutator (? spelling ?). Took the motor apart, cleaned the commutator with a fibre-glass-brush, cleaned the "bearings", put it back together and did a complete adjustment according to the manual. Now it plays as it´s supposed to, heavenly sound. I remember some guy in some forum claiming that the only Luxman using the tubes in the line output is the D-107U. This is not true. Although this one also uses solid state op-amps in the signal path, the diagram clearly shows the signal-path to the fixed output goes through the tubes, as well as the signal to the headphones. Just thought I would share the info :)
Thanks to all of you who brought hints along the way :) :) ;-)

Tiefbass....
Here´s a couple of links for you...
HIFI4ALL.DK | Magasin om HiFi, Hi-Fi, Surround Sound og Audio Video
Nerds.DK
QXL.dk - Køb & Sælg på auktion og KØB NU
Nyt og brugt, køb og salg på dba.dk - Danmarks største handelsportal

Thule Audio went bankrupt. This was a small company, and the cost of getting his products to apply with the Rohs directive, unfortunately killed the company. Still there´s a couple of danish products doing really well in the world, for instance Thomas Sillesen´s Densen, and a real high end product is Gryphon Audio. On the diy front there´s L C Audio Technology / Forside for one.

And Tiefbass, one more thing, if you want to by second hand Thule products, be warned, that spares are as easy to find as green snow in the summertime :). Had to give up on a friends Thule DVD with a bad mainboard. Contacted all the companies that had dealt with Thule since the beginning and the company, who bought all the spares when they went bankrupt. Absolutely no go. So maybe a small advice from me would be you trying some products that are still supported :) :) ;-)

And for Adason.......
Yeah, I read the link (twice now) :)
And I don´t really care what the guy says, in my setup: Pioneer C-90A, totally rebuilt Rega with Stax UA-9 arm and Ortofon Kontrapunkt H cartridge, selfbuilt LC-audio Millennium XP mono-amps, Magnepan MMG with a modified KEF Cube-1 sub, and V.d.Hul D502-hybrid signal cable from tonearm, between pre- and poweramps and between the Luxman and the pre, of course the vinyl is far the best, but for the first time in my life (I´m 57) I enjoy listening to CD´s, never did that before I got the Luxman. I´ve heard Gryphon, Krell etc.and of course this is quite a different league, but for the money I love the Luxman. Saw some vintage site a couple of months ago that one DZ-03 was sold for 1.199,- Euro´s, so obviously it must still in todays standards have some qualities, at least my ears tell me so :)

Last edited:
Hi all,
thank you for your posts.
I have a DZ-03 to repair since it jumps from track to track just as the Boydk one did.
This 3D is really useful but after reading the service manual, a 'jig' is mentioned needed for steps 4 & 5.
The jig comes from D-105u so I hoped to find the jig schematic on this one but I had no luck.
How did you perform tracking and focus gain adjustments?
Thank so much in advance.

Elan 67
Sorry for my very, very late reply :).
Maybe I wasn´t quite honest when describing the adjustment, but since I´ve been repairing stuff for almost 35 years, I skipped the jig (never had one) and did it by experience. The jig was some sceem from the companies (not only Luxman) to make money from the repair shops, it was nothing really and quite expencive. Normally you put in a CD and press play, then (for this one) slowly turn the tracing gain pot counterclockwise until it looses the tracking, then clockwise again till it catches again and then 3-4 millimeters. Then the same for the the focus gain pot, but when it catches only 2 more millimeters clockwise. If you turn it too far clockwise, you´ll hear mechanical noise from the focus coils.
About the tracking, this can be a compromise, the closer to the point of loosing it, it tracs max scratches on the CD but is very sensitive to vibrations, turning the pot more clockwise will make it more unsensitive to vibrations, but decreases the ability to correct errors.
Hope this helps :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.