RF Attenuators = Jitter Reducers - Page 81 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Do you have a SPDIF transformer in your Digital Device
Yes 40 71.43%
No 16 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12th November 2010, 07:31 PM   #801
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
........One of the posters (who seemed quite focused on gigahertz) pooh-poohed the Chinese unit I was using because of a slower rise time than the expensive jkeny-modified Hiface, but the system locks, data is accurately transferred to the DAC, and frankly, the square waves look a whole lot less cluttered.
No, what George said was that the Chinese unit had a slower rise time & that's why the SPDIF wave looks cleaner - faster rise time will be less forgiving of impedance discontinuities & give rise to reflections, hence the cleaner looking waveform

Old 12th November 2010, 07:41 PM   #802
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You might want to re-read the stuff you just quoted, John.

Old 12th November 2010, 07:46 PM   #803
Banned

How about you correct me!

Old 12th November 2010, 08:00 PM   #804
diyAudio Moderator

Start by changing "no" to "yes."

Old 12th November 2010, 08:14 PM   #805
Banned

@stormsonic

So your position is that RF attenuators produce an improvement in ANY SPDIF interface as long as the DAC doesn't fail to lose lock? That users should load their connections with as much attenuation as doesn't cause them to fall over. Or perhaps you have another suggestion as to how the exact amount of attenuation to be applied should be determined by naiive users? Oh, that'll be a listening impression, won't it?

And you're going to be the one to post a screenshot of the analog output showing an improvement in the jitter. Great. Which I presume you've been withholding up until now because you find it entertaining to watch us squabble amongst ourselves.

I notice you didn't repeat your suggestion about the 100pF capacitor. No, because if it was in series the input would appear as open circuit, and there's no good reason for having one in there in shunt.

OK, you have the floor. Put up or shut up.

w

Last edited by wakibaki; 12th November 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Old 12th November 2010, 08:15 PM   #806
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Yes, I'm fairly familiar with the Fourier decomposition of square waves, Gibbs and all that, but what bandwidth do you need to transmit spdif? One of the posters (who seemed quite focused on gigahertz) pooh-poohed the Chinese unit I was using because of a slower rise time than the expensive jkeny-modified Hiface, but the system locks, data is accurately transferred to the DAC, and frankly, the square waves look a whole lot less cluttered.
What he told you was why you had a reasonably reflection free SPDIF waveform from the Chinese unit - something you obviously still fail to grasp from the above quote.

Quote:
The difference is that Your cheap Chinese transmitter is having a rise time at about 6nsec. That is ~58MHz equivalent bandwith.
The hiface driver is having 1.5 nsec rise time in reality. (measured by me on 6GHz, 3,5GHz, 2GHz analog bandwith scopes)
Pardon, the most recently tested unit had less than 1nsec rise time. The older one is 1.5nsec.

At this speed (1.5nsec > ~250MHZ, 1nsec >350MHz ) your test setup has to be much more refined so as not to cause reflections. This is the difference what You see.

Old 12th November 2010, 08:32 PM   #807
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
something you obviously still fail to grasp from the above quote.
Only if you don't actually read what I wrote.

Old 12th November 2010, 08:39 PM   #808
Banned

And we're back to quoting Joseph K.

The same Joseph K who didn't mind putting up a load of screenshots that he thought would convince people with no technical expertise but when asked to provide evidence of a test acceptable to you, jkeny, found it was suddenly too much trouble.

w

Old 12th November 2010, 08:47 PM   #809
Banned

@stormsonic

Oh, and if you think quoting that trick circuit with the amplifier makes a blind bit of difference to your case, think again. It's not typical.

w

Old 12th November 2010, 09:09 PM   #810
diyAudio Member

@waki

will quote Joseph K again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph K View Post
You are welcome, Mr. Wakibaki.
Was a pleasure to serve You well!

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!