SONY SCD-1 Stabilizer Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Not found any old thread about this tuning, so I post this.
Wonder IF I could use without problems a larger disc stabilizer than the original supply on the SCD-1?? as this Sony models on the image below.
The original SCD-1 Stab weight 105 grams.
Anyone ever tried this tweak??
Someone know how much RPM a SACD disc spin in the Sony SCD-1?? Do it is the same RPM than the redBookCD??
I Thanks for any tip or direction,
Gustavo
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
SACD spins faster than CD (around 4 times) to accomodate the higher data rate coming off the disc.

Adding extra weight shouldn't be an issue as long as the dynamic balance of the whole assembly is correct. Once spinning the energy required to maintain momentum is very small, the extra weight acting like a larger flywheel.

SACD spins faster than CD (around 4 times) to accomodate the higher data rate coming off the disc.

Adding extra weight shouldn't be an issue as long as the dynamic balance of the whole assembly is correct. Once spinning the energy required to maintain momentum is very small, the extra weight acting like a larger flywheel.

Are you sure about that? The physical format is DVD, with added watermarking for security. The bit density is a lot higher on DVD vs CD so you may not need higher RPM.

Thankyou boys for your input I appreciated it.
I was unaware SACD spin so fast, I read in 1985 CD spin at 200-500rpm, so SACD can reach 2000rpm.
I intend use a disc ''clamp'' around the same weight than the original brass SCD-1.
I wonder if these others Sony ''clamps'' are aluminium or brass??
Even better would know the weight of these ''clamps''??
Gustavo

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are you sure about that? The physical format is DVD, with added watermarking for security. The bit density is a lot higher on DVD vs CD so you may not need higher RPM.

There are 3 SACD variants. Dual Layer, Single Layer and Hybrid. Also some machines spin them even faster than needed to "look ahead" and try to correct data errors, a bit like cheapo portables that have the "jogging" feature and have around 20 seconds or more of data in memory if needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.