Audio Alchemy options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a decent DAC to connect to the SPDIF output of my media PC. I've seen s few older Audio Alchemy DACs going on eBay recently and thought they might be worth a punt (particularly with a bit of light modding).

However, I don't know a huge amount about the range of products they make and was looking for a bit of info.

The two that come up most often are the DDE and DAC-IN-THE-BOX. Does anyone know how they compare?

Alternatively, I could wait a while and save up for a REGA IO to match my Mira amp and planet CD player. Do people think the IO would be much better than the AA?

Cheers,

iep

The Dac in the Box is a lovely sounding little dac, and I consider it actually the best of the AA dacs(ddeV3.0 would have been, if the soundstage had not be collapsed by the horrid PMD100 hdcd chip). It's very smooth & easy on the ears, even stock. Some upgrading & a better power supply can make it more spacious & punchy, but it's quite fine stock.

The audio alchemy stuff is really good I have a DDS pro and a Pro32 DTI which are connected together through their I2S inputs/outputs and that is connected to my TADAC dac, I have never heard a better sounding CD player. I also use to own a dac in the box which I powered with a linear power supply and it was really good but the analog output stopped working after a now I just have it sitting around here I'll probably put up on ebay soon.

@iep: Go for the DITB, its worth every penny. As stephensank says, yes indeed, its probably Mark Schifter's best done job while at AA. The DITB can be pushed up several notches & it all depends how far you would like to pursue that road. It also benefits quite a bit if you can ADD a jitter-buster like DTI+ or Theta TLC before it.

In case you would like to talk about the mods, I am cool with it.

Hi,

I too have the AA gear and love it. I have the dds pro, dti pro 32 and the dde v3. I'd love to be able to use the i2s bus connection but I can't find the right connectors to make up cables. Can anyone tell me where to buy parts or cables or even how to modify the connections on the gear itself to a more readily available connector type?
Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.