Replace KSS-210A with Optima-6S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am hoping to replace a KSS-210A with a Optima-6S, however I do not know the wiring diagram of either pickup nor do I know where to get them.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get the diagrams for these two pickups or know if they can be interchanged?

I have read through many threads here and am impressed with the knowledge the forum posseses! I hope that I can find my answer here!

Basiclly a good idea, because the life time and reliability of JVC's "Optima" heads is much more higher than Sony's KSS heads.

In general you must go follow steps:

1) Find out cd player models use this optical pick up's
Optima6S is rare in stand allone cd player models and works in Philips FW11, JVC XL-V464 (XLV464) and XL-V264. The most other models are ghetto blaster and low cost plastic audio stuff (nevertheless this JVC head realibility is much more better than the so called SONY ES laser optics like KSS-272A).
SONY's KSS-210A is to find in a wide model range. Here two examples: CDP-450 and CDP-550.

2) order or download service manuals from this models
3) order or download data sheets of the laser heads/transport mechanism

From KSS-213C isn't hard to find:
MODEL:KSM-213CDM PAGE:1
MODEL:KSM-213QCS PAGE: 2
But you need that one from KSS-210A (KSM-210xxx)

Now you can investigate the differences and the necessary modifications

But just one problem I note in your case: KSS-210A uses normal cable connector and Optima6S a flat connector lead. To construct a adaption from one to the other connector is very difficult (perhaps replacing the connector-PCB?).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.