GUIDANCE NEEDED to mod - MARANTZ SA 7001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marantz 8260

Here are some things I recently have done on my 8260, following some of the ideas I read about in Lee's mod list.
Some time ago I built an analogue psu board so as to use Jensen 4 pole caps as supply caps. On this board I just recreated the original Marantz regulated psu. This has worked fine for the 2-3 years I've had this in my player(s). After reading Lee's list I decided to redo my psu board and take out the regulator circuitry and just go with a smoothing cap and shorting resistor after the supply caps. I also use terminal blocks for wire connections, rather than solder connections.

I have also redesigned my Dos board so as to use smd resistors and make space to include the new Mundorf Evo caps as coupling caps and have them on the board. I have just completed this board and installed it in the player, along with the new psu board.

I'm quite pleased with both these new additions to the player, the new Dos especially. The old Dos with the BG NX's was quite good, especially after adding the cfp to the differential section. The new Dos with the Evo's is a touch more refined and a nice new addition. Using the smd resistors created the room to include the Evo's and keep the board size about the same.

Attachments

• DOS_PSU.jpg
    DOS_PSU.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 214
  • DOS_EVO.jpg
    DOS_EVO.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 202
  • DOS_8260.jpg
    DOS_8260.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 214
Nice work there. And nice to see this thread aint dead yet.

I definitely recommend working on the digital supplies, they are more important than the output stage imho

Nice machines to work on aren't they?

I recently did a lot of cap and reg replacing on the servo board on my 8260. The caps I used were Nichicon FP's, with one United Chemicon NP. I pretty much followed Ray's recommendations on which caps to replace. This took a lot of research as the 8400 and 8260 are quite different in the digital sections. I replaced the 100uf/6.3v caps with 120uf/10v FP's. The 22uf/6.3v caps were replaced with 47/6.3v FP's. There were a few others as well. I tried to use caps that were the same physical size, for easier soldering. The 47uf caps were one size larger and a lot of work to solder in place, but I managed okay.
I also followed Ray's recommendation on the regulators and used LT1963's. I use a magnifying lamp for soldering, and I highly recommend use of such for all soldering and especially soldering of this nature.

Here are a couple pics of the new colorful board.

Attachments

• Servo_1.JPG
    Servo_1.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Servo_PSU.JPG
    Servo_PSU.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 176
Hello.

I'm looking at possible further improvements to my SA7001.

Ray, what improvements did you find the DOS made over your modded original output stage? I'm finding everything sounds amazing. Really very good indeed.

Except the top-end. I'm missing air and space around instruments, as if it's being rolled off too early.

Lee.

Hi Ray.

I'm still using the original output. All caps and resistors are improved as are the psu and regulators.

I have made a bit of progress by changing the 1n2 feedback cap from PPS to Silvered Mica. Big improvement too.

I'm just wondering if the DOS would have any benefits, although I am sceptical I'll admit.

Lee.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. It read like you had the DOS in there already.

I think the DOS is a very good upgrade for this player. I would never go back to the original circuit. It adds to all the things you just mentioned, the wider and more transparent soundstage, a quiter background and more definition. But perhaps i'm not the best guy to ask, as i'm also selling the boards :)

Make sure you use a good output cap, it can make or break the sound. The EVO Silver/Gold/Oil is my favorite at the moment. I haven't tried the Supreme Silver/Gold yet, too expensive for large values... but they could be even better.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray.

I'm just wondering if the DOS would have any benefits, although I am sceptical I'll admit.

Lee.

Hi Lee,
I'll add a little bit here, if you don't mind.
I first implemented a DOS in my 8260 player back in 2008. At that time it was the single biggest improvement I had ever heard in a digital player, including spending mega bucks on a new dac or player. Since those days, my dos has gone thru a few design changes, all for the better of course; implementing the complementary feedback pair in the differential stage, changing the output cap from BGNx to Mundorf EVO, and a refinement of the board layout.
What do you get over the original circuit in the player? You get lower electronically generated noise giving more low level information, better image resolution, better bass response, and far better overall sound. I don't like the simplistic use of the word "better" but it works here.
Better image resolution could also be stated as more precise image resolution. Better bass response could also be stated as louder and lower bass response. Better sound cound also be stated as more precise sound flowing down the signal chain thru the amplification stages and out of the speaker into the music room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.