GUIDANCE NEEDED to mod - MARANTZ SA 7001 - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 07:17 PM   #71
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Swapped the Zener for 33v and it made no difference so went for and additional 12v in series meaning the voltage should be 45v. It's not made any difference. Any clues Ray??? I wonder if the control is fixed via the control regardless of the source heater voltage??
Old 8th October 2012, 08:05 PM   #72
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Hm, that's odd... It works in the CD63/67... I used to short the zener there because the display is too bright most of the times. Maybe the 150k resistor in series with the display has something to do with it?
Old 10th October 2012, 02:11 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Mmmm the are a couple more zeners there too. I would like to see what voltages change when you control the brightness but its not easy to establish what's cause and effect!!! I guess it's a nice to have but not important for the audio!!!

I've spent a fair bit of time with the manual on the transport. Looking through the various diagrams and I think I have a plan to replace the remaining caps!!!

I've already done the main reg ones and I'll concentrate on the RF, Decoder, DVD processor, motor driver & ram with the remaining caps I have. Think I need some more to finish the rest! I think I got to about 40 sepc's and a few BG and ZA on the other rails!!!

Hopefully the base plate will arrive later this week. I've also got oak cone feet on the way. Been looking at further splitting some of the rails too.........It's never ending lol!!
Old 10th October 2012, 03:48 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

I didn't have time yet to experiment with it myself. My guess is that the brightness is controlled through PWM, Vft is constant so there's no other way. But it's strange that it doesn't respond to altering of that voltage.

Ray
Old 20th October 2012, 02:25 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

A little progress.......

New base plate fitted (almost!!!)

Click the image to open in full size.

More sound deadening (like there wasn't enough!)

Drilled to suit the protruding screws and oak cone feet fitted

Ignore the cable mess!!!

Got a couple of SPowerD's to go in along with another 10 sepc's which I may get round to later in the weekend. Just going to listen again now........

Still got a dim display, not sure how to attack that if its PWM controlled by the processor!!!!
Old 21st October 2012, 12:47 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Nce job! Now all you have to do is paint the edge of that plate black ;-)

I like the color, I think the 7001 is quite stylish in black. When I have time to fit my Sanyo SVP's i'll have a look at that display as well. Mine is also too dim. Probably will have to wait till next month...

Regards,

Ray
Old 21st October 2012, 02:01 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=UV101;3208726]A little progress.......

New base plate fitted (almost!!!)

QUOTE]

Hi,
Yes that plate looks nice and all, but you've covered all the vents in the base plate. Your transport board may be subject to overheating issues. Time will tell.
Old 21st October 2012, 02:41 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

What vents? I'm sure I'd have noticed any I was covering??????

Old 21st October 2012, 03:13 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
What vents? I'm sure I'd have noticed any I was covering??????
Very good. My 8260 is well vented in the bottom plate and I assumed the 8001/7001 was same, but clearly it is not. I think I should have revisited your pics as I recall seeing that same pic yesterday.
I'm following this thread for additional ideas for my player.
BTW, are you considering using Ray's DOS for the output stage?
Old 21st October 2012, 04:43 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

I've got a a few DOS boards inc your CFP but with a slight modification that I built for my old 63. I quite like the the output stage in this player and being fully discrete and also knowing what Thomo achieved, I'm going to use the original circuit to start with. I will swap the filter and signal path caps and replace the regs with my own but right now I'm concentrating on the transport. Not enough hours in the day for me the moment

Hide this!Advertise here!