GUIDANCE NEEDED to mod - MARANTZ SA 7001 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2011, 04:06 PM   #21
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post
Hi Lee,

There's just one ferrite bead separating the IC's from the rest indeed, not very impressive. I have to open my player anyway, to fit a new analog output stage, and I have a spare Tentlabs shunt here. I'll have a look at it, thanks for the tip!

Ray
No worries Ray. It made a big difference, which I expected to be honest.

That board looks tasty, I presume it's the improved DOS which I'm going to have to get me. I think I'm going to struggle to remove all the noise coming out of the dac with just the LPF section of the original output stage and a couple of cap tweaks.

Cheers, Lee.
Old 4th January 2011, 04:09 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arupg View Post
Hi Lee
Super PSU you've got there. I like the biggie caps from Mundorf/FTCaps - one of the best around! You should be getting a night-to-day change in the 7001. Aren't you?

Arup
Hi Arup.

It certainly sounds a lot better than the standard machine, which I found quite flat, and uninvolving.

The Mundorf's are fantastic parts and I love most Mundorf products (I have a pair of their AMT's in my Jamo Concert speakers now), but I have to say that the low noise regs on the dac and splitting the psu's made more difference. The original circuit has the dac sharing the psu with the servo

Cheers, Lee.
Old 4th January 2011, 04:23 PM   #23
arupg is offline arupg  Latvia
diyAudio Member

You have the Concert 8 or 11 ?
excellent transparency off that mid/bass driver with the gold bullet plug. Pity good things disappear...........

Last edited by arupg; 4th January 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 6th January 2011, 05:39 PM   #24
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomo View Post
No worries Ray. It made a big difference, which I expected to be honest.

That board looks tasty, I presume it's the improved DOS which I'm going to have to get me. I think I'm going to struggle to remove all the noise coming out of the dac with just the LPF section of the original output stage and a couple of cap tweaks.

Cheers, Lee.
Yep, it's the new DOS with Complementary Feedback Pair and current sink in the output section. Thanks to Steve!! I was hoping to fit the board this week, but it looks like it's not going to happen... Too many other interfering stuff.

Ray
Old 7th February 2011, 04:08 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I modded my SA7001KI yesterday and discovered a simple, free tweak that really gave a large gain in sound quality.

I took the signal straight after the "Low Pass Differential" stage of the output section, and bypassed the HDAM and Current LPF sections. This really opened the sound up, and the bass is crazy in it's depth and power. It's not perfect as I'm pretty sure the filter is incorrect now, but it's a whole lot better than before.

Lee.
I did this mod, and i hear a big improvement. As i understand correctly the filter has become 2 pole (originally 4 pole). I don't hear any noise, i think that a 2 pole filter is good enough for me.
Old 7th February 2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Lautar is offline Lautar  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Lautar Send a message via MSN to Lautar Send a message via Yahoo to Lautar
Quote:
Click the image to open in full size.

I took the signal from the dac side of R622 and R672. Another benefit is that it has only a few mV dc offset and so doesn't need DC blocking caps, which is nice.

Lee.
and your mast remove C609,C859,R623,R673,C610,R660
Old 7th February 2011, 04:49 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

No, he doesn't... That filtering is necessary to properly reconstruct the audio signal, filter the ultrasonic/aliasing components and lower the THD+N to the specifyed one. It doesn't affect the audio band, they have a corner freq at 60kHz (first RC) and 80kHz (second RC).

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 7th February 2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 31st July 2012, 08:07 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Does anybody mind if I resurrect this thread?

I've done much more extensive work on my SA7001 now and it is by far the best player I've ever owned.

Will post an updated mods list and pics if anyone's still interested.

Lee.
Old 31st July 2012, 08:09 PM   #29
arupg is offline arupg  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Most welcome ..

Looking for your posts (though I am out of this & have graduated to something totally different).
Old 3rd August 2012, 04:49 PM   #30
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Yes, interesting!

Ray

Hide this!Advertise here!