GUIDANCE NEEDED to mod - MARANTZ SA 7001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi friends,
My name is Sid. I am relatively very new to the forum and further to my two posts since last two days, i felt its better to start a new thread, since i would
rather ask questions, take pointers-views from fellow friends in here.

In my last posts, i had advised that I have Quad 99/909/11L2 with which i have Marantz 7001 as a source.

I was convinced with Ray's suggestions and hence going ahead with a few mods. And i had hence placed the order for the Black Gate & Nichigon caps to be going into the 7001. They have arrived and am thankful to Michael Percy to have been a thorough gentleman to have sent the stuff in most professional manner, everytime that i have bought from him.

Now,

1) Guidance on Mods that the 7001 can handle.

*Ray, may be you could take time out and assist please? or other friends who have handled this player.

I have the mod sheet enlisting parts, as published by Ray on his site. I just want to know which of the mods will make substantial change to the music.

If,
- I donot want bass to go heavy (as i 909's mods have taken care of it)
- A larger Sounstage is a miss probably as of now.
- Imaging is good for the price but certainly can be improved and you could advise on the needed mod for that please.
- I am yearning to have to give more body to the instruments.

Over to you.

Many thanks
Sid

Thanks Ray.

Its only ur mod list and words shared on the website that got me some confidence to try n open my beloved player.

Might bother you again. Have actually started a new thread as didnt want to mix things up here on the thread. Over there, i could share pics of the board and my views post the listening session.

Pleasure to be here and many thanks for your kind words. I shall certainly follow pointers shared in here by you and other friends.

Thanks once again.

My regards
Sid

Ok, I added your new thread to my list :D

This is interesting, as I don't know a lot of people that tweaked SA7001/8400 players.

Last edited:
The 7001 sounds quite thin out of the box, and everytime you change a component for something better, some part of the nasty things you mentioned will go away.

As there are no opamps in the player (that would be a very easy swap), all easy things you can do is improve the power supply and the discrete HDAM circuit. In the end it may be better to replace the entire HDAM-thing by the DOS output stage, but maybe that's a bit too bold for now.

So that means replacing the electrolytic caps around the DAC and in the HDAM power supply, the caps after the rectifier diodes and after the regulators and not to forget the diodes themselves. Second stage could be the analog filter capacitors in the 'output filter' section of my list. As you can see, there are a lot of capacitors on the list, and it's best to start with the ones in the first section under 'Power supply'. Just work your way down the list and see what it does with the sound.

I'd leave the original regulators in for now, and don't replace too many components at once. A good clock can be added later, when the virus has it's claws in you... :D

A few good ones to start with are the 'remove only' mods. Those are the muting transistors (QN61 to 64) and the output caps (C616 and C666). Well, the two caps have to be replaced by a wire actually, but this will give some audible result quickly.

Ray

Last edited:
Hi Sid,

You're welcome! The SA7001 needs a 33.8688MHz 3.3V clock signal, and any decent clock or oscillator that can provide that, will probably be an improvement over the standard on-board crystal. A simple and effective solution is to use a Tentlabs XO oscillator-can, I have good experience with those. You can then choose to use a simple discrete voltage regulator to feed it, or to go fancy and use a Tentlabs shunt, or build a Flea power supply for it. A cheaper solution is to use a standard oscillator instead of the Tentlabs, which also works very well if you pick the right type. They can be difficult to obtain sometimes. If you are on a really tight budget you could build the CD-clock FET oscillator with the original crystal. So there are plenty of possibilities here.

Regards,

Ray

Last edited:
I modded my SA7001KI yesterday and discovered a simple, free tweak that really gave a large gain in sound quality.

I took the signal straight after the "Low Pass Differential" stage of the output section, and bypassed the HDAM and Current LPF sections. This really opened the sound up, and the bass is crazy in it's depth and power. It's not perfect as I'm pretty sure the filter is incorrect now, but it's a whole lot better than before.

Lee.

Last edited:
Hi Sid, I use a DIY pre amp which is a tweaked Pedja Rogic discrete class A buffer stage running on DIY discrete low-noise regulators. My power amp is a modified 280wpc monster PA amp by Yamaha which runs class A up to 30W. The speakers are Jamo Concert 8's with improved crossovers and the tweeters are changed to Mundorf AMT (these are still a work in progress).

Ray, do you have any thoughts on the state of my output stage filtering? It seems as though the bass is excessive.

Cheers, Lee.

Ray,
Whenever you are free, please let me hear from you in detail on possibly a few (about 3) options on clock w.r.t. price & source please. Also how to go about power supply for the same?

And any mods, that i need to do before the clock's introduction.

Many thanks & appreciate your attention.
Wishes

The Tentlabs XO and shuntregulator prices can be found at Tentlabs. The CD-clock and The Flea are DIY clocks, you'll have to build them yourself. There's more info on my website. The price strongly depends on the components you are going to use, so that's hard to say. But a fancy version of The Flea with it's own dedicated power supply and Tentlabs XO is about € 65,- in parts.

The clock can be inserted anytime along the modification-ride, but be prepared for some serious SMD surgery (see pictures in my SA8400 section).

Ray

The Tentlabs XO and shuntregulator prices can be found at Tentlabs. The CD-clock and The Flea are DIY clocks, you'll have to build them yourself. There's more info on my website. The price strongly depends on the components you are going to use, so that's hard to say. But a fancy version of The Flea with it's own dedicated power supply and Tentlabs XO is about € 65,- in parts.

The clock can be inserted anytime along the modification-ride, but be prepared for some serious SMD surgery (see pictures in my SA8400 section).

Ray

That was quick & generous :)

Thanks for your advice Ray.
Moving ahead with the electrolytics first.

Shall share details and then shall seek your guidance on what to buy next.

Appreciate your gesture to share with all the humility.

my wishes

Ray, I hope you still read this thread because my last mod may interest you as it's not something you've done yet I think.

I supplied IC734, 735 with their own low-noise supply. These are the logic chips for the clock frequency selection. It's made a big improvement to all aspects of the sound, particularly in air and space around the top end. I can't recommend it enough.

It's dead easy to do, just remove FB01 and feed in the new supply there.

Cheers, Lee.

Hi Lee,

Yes, i'm still reading it :)

Nice list, you've been quite busy this month :clown:. I thought about removing IC734 and IC735 all together, and feed the clock directly to the DAC. There's just the problem of frequency selection, so it won't be able to play RBCD's after that. So I just left it as it is. But it must be adding jitter to the incoming clock-signal :(.

There's just one ferrite bead separating the IC's from the rest indeed, not very impressive. I have to open my player anyway, to fit a new analog output stage, and I have a spare Tentlabs shunt here. I'll have a look at it, thanks for the tip! :)

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.