Need help possibly repairing my e-mu 0404 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2010, 04:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help possibly repairing my e-mu 0404

I have an e-mu 0404 usb that I've been powering with a small variable linear power supply I have, today I had the power supply at 7.5v for something else and I forgot to switch it back to the 6v setting , the e-mu turned on an then turned off really quickly, now it doesn't turn on at all. I opened I up to see it just needed a fuse replaced but it doesnt use a fuse, Im wondering if the on/off switch acts like a circuit breaker and I just need to replace that? I contacted e-mu but they wont get back to me until Monday. I can take internal pics if needed

I have experience working on house wiring, I know how to use a multimeter and I can solder.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Electronic circuits have internal fuses that look like SMD resistors. If you don't have experience in electronics it will be very hard to fix it. And even then it might be impossible or too expensive - depending of the damage extent.
If you can point the camera on MACRO setting towards the power input, you might get some suggestions.
Old 7th June 2010, 08:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I included the pic of the power input and the other is off the on/off switch

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by SilverStrings; 7th June 2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In the first pic, the part marked with F1 is a fuse. Measured resistance across should be zero ohms.
Old 9th June 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes it is 0 ohms
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:44 PM   #6
LuSiD is offline LuSiD  Greece
diyAudio Member

I am probably digging at a topic that has been long inactive but i am hoping for somebody to answer!
I have the same problem with my 0404 just like SilverStrings... And it happened exactly the same way.
So, the question is... Is it probably the fuse in the first picture to be replaced? Will this make my E-MU come back to life? And if yes, where can i find one?

Thanks in advance guyz!
Old 23rd February 2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSiD View Post
I am probably digging at a topic that has been long inactive but i am hoping for somebody to answer!
I have the same problem with my 0404 just like SilverStrings... And it happened exactly the same way.
So, the question is... Is it probably the fuse in the first picture to be replaced? Will this make my E-MU come back to life? And if yes, where can i find one?

Thanks in advance guyz!
Measure the fuse... it should be zero ohms.

If it is OK then connect the thing up and make sure you have the incoming supply voltage across the diode D8 next to the fuse.

The outcome of that test depends on whether the problem is in the PSU or the unit itself.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:46 PM   #8
LuSiD is offline LuSiD  Greece
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Really appreciate it.

Unfortunately the fuse is not where it is supposed to be... A friend of mine took it off the board in search of a replacement, assuming that this was the problem because it was overheating (a lot!). But the real problem is that he could not find an equivalent to replace it. Do you have any clue where i can find a new one? Or could i put another fuse? And a board wiring diagram or schematic for the 0404 is nowhere to be found...

I am all ears (or should i say eyes) for you to post a solution!

Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 12:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I would use a wire instead. The smallest one you can find (diameter), like one from a rf coil or litz wire.
Before measure resistance PAST that fuse - with a digital meter, the red probe to the fuse solder place (D8 side) and the black to ground. Should read more than a 10 ohms.
D8 is a protection diode, that might be bad (shorted) too...
Old 24th February 2011, 07:10 AM   #10
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSiD View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Really appreciate it.

Unfortunately the fuse is not where it is supposed to be... A friend of mine took it off the board in search of a replacement, assuming that this was the problem because it was overheating (a lot!). But the real problem is that he could not find an equivalent to replace it. Do you have any clue where i can find a new one? Or could i put another fuse? And a board wiring diagram or schematic for the 0404 is nowhere to be found...

I am all ears (or should i say eyes) for you to post a solution!

Thanks
Fuses should not overheat or get hot... they should blow. I wonder whether it is a "true" fuse as such or a device such as a PTH or Polyfuse.

You could do as SoNic_real_one suggests and link it out with wire to test. If you did try that I would just remove D8 to be sure.

You must be aware of the risk (to the supply or USB supply/PC etc feeding the board) as if there is another fault it could possibly damage the equipment.

Depending on your experience the best solution may be to link the fuse out, remove the diode and power up using either a current limited supply or 6 volt battery and check how much current is being drawn and whether the device works OK.

Hide this!Advertise here!