WMB54G died, please recommend me a substitute! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2010, 10:29 AM   #1
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Default WMB54G died, please recommend me a substitute!

Hi,

My Linksys wireless music bridge (WMB54G) died yesterday (won't connect anymore, changed IP, web-interface gone) and now I need a replacement.
I'm looking for a device that wirelessly streams audio to my DAC, so preferably the new box has an antenna and a digital output (wired and optical would be nice).
I know that the Linksys WMB54G, the Sondigo Sirocco and the Airlink AWMB100 are virtually the same device, and would like to avoid them. Simply because they're a pain in the neck to set up, and, afaik, they're upsampling and not bit-accurate.
Does anyone know of a similar device?
Oh, OS is Windows 7.

Thanks, Dave
Old 26th March 2011, 08:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Rodeodave, did you ever find any similar products? I really like how these three products are designed to work, but all are discontinued. All I want to do is to stream whatever my laptop is playing to my home theater, with highest sound quality possible. I want to be able sit at my laptop and control the music using the music player on my laptop, which is currently Media Monkey. I don't use Apple products at all. Most of my music is in flac format.
Old 26th March 2011, 08:54 PM   #3
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, no, not really. The only other device that is capable of FLAC is the Netgear EVA8000. It sometimes pops up on ebay, but it's huge. Haven't had any similar device since the WMB54G died, mostly using my netbook as a source now.
Haven't looked into the music bridge stuff lately but I'd love to have one again. The audio sync for movies was a real PITA though
Old 28th March 2011, 01:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm going to give the Airport Express a try, using the toslink output to my Yamaha receiver. About 1/2 my music library is flac which is about 3,000 tracks, so I just batch converted them to 320kbps mp3. Not what I really wanted to do but seems to be the best solution, at least for now. I still have the original flac files. I was using an external hard drive connected to my PS3 which allowed me to play my entire digital music library including flac's through the PS3 and into my home theater, the but PS3 interface is to clunky. I hate it. I much prefer my laptop and iTunes as the interface, as compared to the interfaces of devices like PS3 or even Squeezebox and Roku.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:24 AM   #5
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

I believe you don't really need itunes for the airport express, you can use Airfoil instead. It may even be capable of FLAC replay, but I'm not sure.
Old 14th August 2011, 01:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Linksys Music Bridge Compatibility

The Linksys WMB64G software is not compatible with apple i-pod and other apple moble device software. It is not compatible with Red Chair i-pod software. Check Windows Taslk Manager to see if these are running. It is best to uninstall the apple software.
Old 14th August 2011, 02:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeodave View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for a device that wirelessly streams audio to my DAC, so preferably the new box has an antenna and a digital output (wired and optical would be nice).
Oh, OS is Windows 7.
I am using WDTV Live.
Wired, optical and HDMI output, can play from Win7 shared folders or can be used as a Media Device. FLAC 44.1 is passed bitperfect (HDCD flag is intact).
Wireless adaptors are available.

As a minus: It cannot output higher samplerate than 48kHz on optical (it downsamples). It can do it on HDMI, so it might be a firmware issue.
Old 26th August 2011, 12:59 PM   #8
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Nice, thanks for the info! Looks promising.
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I lost my WMB54G music bridge device because I upgraded to Windows 7 and the device is not compatible. There is a workaround apparently, but I've not been able to employ it. I do have a WDTV unit which is wired and very good for viewing photos, Netflix, etc on my large screen tv, but I am still without a decent wireless connection to stream music through my stereo system. I found an ACER iRythm Sonicbox online that is reasonable but it dates back to 2001 and I'm not sure it would work - it sends our signals through a 900mghz device like a wireless house phone. I've found no other viable substitutes for the WMB54G device which worked really well and I miss it.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeodave View Post
Hi,

My Linksys wireless music bridge (WMB54G) died yesterday (won't connect anymore, changed IP, web-interface gone) and now I need a replacement.
I know that the Linksys WMB54G, the Sondigo Sirocco and the Airlink AWMB100 are virtually the same device, and would like to avoid them. Simply because they're a pain in the neck to set up, and, afaik, they're upsampling and not bit-accurate.
Oh, OS is Windows 7.

Thanks, Dave
Logitech Duet?

Hide this!Advertise here!