Ultimate USB to I2S interface - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2010, 06:01 PM   #41
chertk is offline chertk  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
I'd rather put everything but the DAC & power supplies on the board, leaving the option of omitting some parts (such as the clocks) and adding all the required jumpers, connectors, etc. to make it as "flexible" and versatile as it can be.
I'm next to UnixMan.
But will be use this module in the way EVUL likes.

By the way, we can use 5Vusb for all on the usb side.
Old 27th May 2010, 06:58 PM   #42
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

If you think you can get 100+ people to agree on the same DAC, same IV stage, same power supply configuration (how many separate ones, what for analog & what for digital, ...), same clock circuit, ......, and keep the cost below 50 Euros, then by all means go ahead.

What I proposed is the simplest basic unit that anyone who wants to convert USB to I2S would need, and cannot get unless he pay $150 to buy something ready made. Maybe it is easier just to pay the 150 bucks in the end ......

I want to make my own choice. So count me out for a turn key solution.

best regards,
Patrick
Old 27th May 2010, 08:18 PM   #43
sampler is offline sampler  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

At last this thread is developing fast, very good

But lets not get over our selfs, shall we ?
At this point we are just considering all options, no decisions are made, so no purpose of count me in/out game, just constructive discussion.

Eric has visualized for us what really can be called "ultimate" I2S source, if done right. As previous GB perfectly showed, such product (basically just the uC part) is almost impossible to acquire. Manufacturers are willing to sell whole product, and get their $. That is understandable, we all live by the market rules, so placing us in position of users. This is opportunity to stop being only users and buy overpriced products. So again, for this purpose we only need to buy developed (and preferably preprogrammed) uC with software (drivers), or if it is possible (in means of willingness and brain power), develop it here. This is the hardest part as I see it. More research is needed for choosing "most attractive" uC platform, in terms of pricing/licensing/programing attractiveness. We desperately need comments from experienced embedded programmers, that potentiality could contribute to software development.

For reaching some kinda consensus on global design, I personally don't see what this fuss is all about. If Erics block scheme goes to pcb, it's already way ahead of all currently commercially available products for USB to I2S (spdif) that I'm aware of. Closest match would be some pro DAC's in 4 zeros USD zone. So IMO it is perfect choice for those who want to buy&forget this hard part of PC->I2S section. If others feel like they want to realize their ideas or experiment or feel DIY'ing fun or whatever, they should have opportunity to only buy uC and software, or Uc + software + bare PCB (option for placing clocks on "dirty" side should be provided).

EUVL idea of dividing this PCB to separate modules is very good and worth considering IMHO. This concept would have all the advantages that Eric has already named. Biggest drawback I think would be increased overall price for buy&forget people and maybe somehow decreased performance (it is integral part of modulus design).
Old 27th May 2010, 08:33 PM   #44
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

You can get a Ayre QB-9 (new) for USD2500. That is really buy and forget.

As one can tell, USB audio is hot, and everyone who has a firmware solution for a uP which otherwise costs <10USD makes 100+ bucks from a "reference solution" which is essentially programmed chip plus a few other components. Let's see what xmos whats for licensed fees per chip.

I am not against buying pre-programmed chips. It depends on how much they cost.

Patrick
Old 27th May 2010, 08:51 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Let's buy Ayre and cut it in 100 pcs, this way everyone could tell they have hi-end "parts" in their system

Seriously, bottom line would the price, I agree. Also I'm very keen about XtreemeUSB technical details
Old 27th May 2010, 10:14 PM   #46
iperv is offline iperv  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'm interested.
I hope we can buy a device for 75$.
A good device, of course

iperv
Old 28th May 2010, 06:12 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
received now the doc. about Windows drivers for Xmos with price

Tell me if there are other questions for Xmos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thesycon_USBAudioClassDriver_LicenseModel.pdf (84.0 KB, 214 views)
Old 28th May 2010, 06:45 AM   #48
chertk is offline chertk  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Thanks audiodesign for info!

So Thesycon wants annual fee for product - bad for us.

What about Centrance driver? They have free download CEntrance Universal Driver on their site.
But question remains - does it support XMOS USB Audio 2.0 Reference Design from the scratch?
Old 28th May 2010, 09:28 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Ouch... 11500Eu minimum for Thesycon drivers

So only Centrance pricing left to investigate, or it's automatic no-go for xmos solution ?

Windows drivers development is really large and man hour consuming job, so this pricing is somehow ok. for planed 1000+ products release, but in our case it's makes no sense.

Has anyone heard something about microsoft plans for native windows usbaudio.sys 2.0 driver support ?
Old 28th May 2010, 09:50 AM   #50
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the Free DemoUSBIO Demo isn't so bad, I mean who listens to more than 4 hrs at a time? and I'm sure a "solution" to this minor issue will show up on the great WWW regardless.

Hide this!Advertise here!