Ultimate USB to I2S interface - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2010, 11:13 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Default Well...

Too bad it is not asynchronous and does not use fixed frequency clocking...
Old 19th September 2010, 09:07 AM   #132
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Are we sure is not asynchronous? And what do you mean by fixed frequency clocking?

edit: I see that the master clock sits on the board and is used also to synchronize all other boards, if case. Therefore I supposed that it also slaves the PC

Last edited by SunRa; 19th September 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:30 AM   #133
sampler is offline sampler  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRa View Post
Take a look at this Rigisystems Interface.
Well, it's the same link, that was posted by mhelin in post#65. Everything about this products looks fine. It's asynchronous 2 local clocks design that in theory meets all quality requirements and it would be a real treasure for all digital xover crowd. That is, if one can handle 250$'ish price tag....
I wasn't able to find any comments or reviews of this interface over net, so no real life performance estimations of this particular demo board could be done. But it should be up to the task.

I'm still keeping my eye on new USB audio products from various manufacturers, but it seems like no big news on that front, maybe I missed something ?

If my memory doesn't play tricks on me, BrianDonegan from twisted pear have admitted (back in m2tech GB thread) that he is working on asynchronous USB solution, wonder how that's coming along ?

What really bothers me is Chinese manufacturers. I'm still wondering how they are not able to see this opportunity and make best seller product ? In musiland case, that means making minor changes in FPGA clocking out of I2S code portion, placing 2 el'cheapo crystals on board and naming it Monitor O3
Old 19th September 2010, 01:33 PM   #134
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampler View Post
I'm still keeping my eye on new USB audio products from various manufacturers, but it seems like no big news on that front, maybe I missed something ?
There are several chips for USB Audio Class 2.0 and full HD capability in preview stages from a number of the large chip foundaries. Non have gone into production AFAIK, mainly because non work under Windows and the Apple and linux market is too tiny. Until Micro$oft fixes their OS to allow USB Audio Class 2.0 devices to be plug & play I suspect all these companies will hang fire.

Quote:
What really bothers me is Chinese manufacturers. I'm still wondering how they are not able to see this opportunity and make best seller product ? In musiland case, that means making minor changes in FPGA clocking out of I2S code portion, placing 2 el'cheapo crystals on board and naming it Monitor O3
I have been discussing this and Apple Drivers with ML for bleedin ages. There are some barriers in the way these people operate that are pretty hard to overcome.

Ciao T
Old 19th September 2010, 03:02 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Default I am pretty sure

the Rigid is not async. I believe this is the interface used in the new Audio Research DAC 8, and there have been reports that the DAC 8 sounds better through SPDIF than it does via USB. I guess I will do a little more research to get to the bottom of this interface.
Classic with MS!
Old 19th September 2010, 04:22 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to syntheticwave
Hi,

I am not an expert in this matter, but searching for a solution, transmitting 1024 separate audio signals from PC to the speakers. The project described at my Wave Field Synthesis and Holophony page.

By your opinion, the task would be solvable in the future, possibly at USB3.0. already?
Old 19th September 2010, 05:29 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Until Micro$oft fixes their OS to allow USB Audio Class 2.0 devices to be plug & play I suspect all these companies will hang fire.
Thanks M$, again....

Quote:
I have been discussing this and Apple Drivers with ML for bleedin ages. There are some barriers in the way these people operate that are pretty hard to overcome.
Hmm, sounds mysterious at least, maybe you could clarify this little bit more ?
If no LNDA stands behind it of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
the Rigid is not async.
Wont argue on this, because there are not even hi res pic of the whole board. But, from information on official page, it's obvious that there are 2 local clocks for clocking in/out i2s to spartan FPGA and slaving clock option. Cypress EZ-USB FX2 is fully capable of async. and they are using proprietary drivers. If it is adaptive or isochronous design, I'm having hard time imagining how they pulled it off. Cypress or FPGA FIFOS would overflow in now time
Old 20th September 2010, 12:25 AM   #138
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Hmm, sounds mysterious at least, maybe you could clarify this little bit more ?
Basically, they feel they have a world beating product that sells well and do not see the need. I may have convinced on the subject of the Apple driver, together with their various importers.

Ciao T
Old 20th September 2010, 06:02 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Do someone create a table with all the solutions analized until now ?
Old 20th September 2010, 02:22 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Basically, they feel they have a world beating product that sells well and do not see the need. I may have convinced on the subject of the Apple driver, together with their various importers.
Ahhh... we are #1 (arguably) so why try harder. Ok, that's logical, but as I see it, there are no technical boundaries for them to implement this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
Do someone create a table with all the solutions analized until now ?
It's on page #1, additionally there was discussion about:

Koon,s soliution from '08, that was not developed further

M2tech EVO with it's "excellent" pricing

RigiSystems demo board

After some time, personally I reduced my list of requirements for USB interface to just 1 - it must be possible to slave it via external clock, and let it be just 44.1khz sampling. And still, it seems that only reasonably priced solution till now is Musiland. As Thorsten pointed out it is possible to synthesize almost exactly 24Mhz from external clock of 44.1khz or 48khz derivative. This means designing PLL for this purpose from scratch. Not a piece of cake, but doable even for diy'er. Even then, I suspect that performance would be not up to the level with systems like m2tech, that clock's out i2s using dedicated vco. Timing loop with such a design would be quite large, this means -> local clean DAC clock, lets say 11.289Mhz -> Isolator -> 24Mhz PLL -> USB controller -> Internall USB pll 48Mhz -> FPGA 2 stacked DCM's -> I2S out -> Isolator -> Reclocking Flip-flop driven by clean dac clock. It's quite easy to predict that random timing errors would be not a rare occurrence, even without isolator in path.

Hide this!Advertise here!