Arcam Alpha mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have just got my hands on an Alpha One? I'm quite impressed with it considering it's age, especially with the size of the soundstage. Do any of you Alpha mods apply to the alpha one?

My frst problem is with the drive which will read cds if I give the disc a little spin myself, to get it started. If not it struggles, gives up and says no disc. Once it's going there are no probs with the sound. Any idea how I ight fix this?

I'll put it through my DACMAGIC eventually so I imagine it's not worth replacing the DAC, is that right?

I was going to leave the opaps to begin with to see if I could work with the character of the current ones, however I'm always open to interesting suggestions!

Finaly if anyone had the service manual I'd be very grateful if you would share it with me.

Many thanks

SRPP I/V output stage

Hi:

After trying several op-amps in my moded Arcam Alpha 5, running in class A, I must agree with Mr. Fikus when he said: "there is no better op-amp like no op-amp"!

Again I must agree with lampizator when he said the tube I/V output alone represents more than all mods you can do in the CD player.

Here my mods:
All digital caps changed for Os-con SPEC;
All power caps changed for Rubycon ZL;
Changed the resistors board for PRP metal film and some Takman;
LM regulators changed for best Motorola;
Diodes changed for Motorola;
Added some inductors before the power resistor of the digital chips;
NetAudio Clock;
NOS;
DEM;
Op-amps (tryed several among the best) running in class A;
SRPP 6N2P-EV tube stage for I/V output (the best!)

Here some pics about my I/V srpp tube output stage.

It is not look nice but it sounds amazing!

Attachments

• DSC_3912_.jpg
    DSC_3912_.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC_3913_.jpg
    DSC_3913_.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 307
Some aditional notes

Future plans:

Make my salas shunt reg to feed the TDA1541A and SAA7310;

Feed all other chips with is own regulator (LM337T or LM317T);

Make two wood boxes like these ones for Arcam Alpha:

Sell my reference (until today, because the Arcam sound much more additive!) Electrocompaniet EMC1-UP player;

Read this: Electrocompaniet

Make my OWN opinion about the debate: which sounds better? vinil or cd?

ENJOY the music and pray for the sun! The winter are cold in Portugal.

Attachments

• DSC_3925_.jpg
    DSC_3925_.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Wood Boxes.jpg
    Wood Boxes.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_3923_.jpg
    DSC_3923_.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC_3932_.jpg
    DSC_3932_.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_3915_.jpg
    DSC_3915_.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 137
It might be NOS thats a problem - but the real problem is I don't know these things technically enough to make a statement - sorry.
In the end I took it ( DEM mod ) off because I too had some noise problems with it and instead I concentrated more on the power supplies which gave me really significant gains.
A little bit like SimonT's work but without so much reserve VA

Do you like the NOS sound ?
I recently did it on an Alpha 5 and removed the SAA7220 completely. There are certainly gains in sound quality in the bottom end and midrange but I'm still not sure about the hf roll off. I'm sure I can hear it.

It's never going to be a match for my old Alpha even without DEM mod.

Another note for the record

Earlier in this thread, I noted that I had added smt organic polymer decoupling caps (ESRD Series 7.3 x 4.3 mm 16 V 8.2 uF Polymer Aluminum Electrolytic ) directly to the 14 pins of the TDA. I had added these without removing the stock caps supplied by Arcam.

While chasing down a different issue, I removed the stock caps leaving only the SMT caps. Oh my goodness! Very strong positive move. Another layer of clarity is exposed. Started with the Tantalum. Clear change for the better. Out came the needle nose pliers and MKP extraction took about 1 minute. Anyone following the SMT cap on pin approach... do yourself a big favour and remove the stock caps and dispatch them to the dust bin.

BTW, I am picking up an Arcam Black Box Dac in a few days. Kind of for the nostalgia value since I have had so much fun abusing this alpha. One appeared for sale in my area and I have claimed it. Now continue on the look out for any thrift shop special that has the S1 or 2 chip.

Oh my, life's been hectic with a new job, career, change of location, car and other things. The hi-fi has well and truly taken a back seat.

Now, however, I'm settling down again and had a look in my old Arcam to address the disc stopping when warmed up problem.

I took a little video for fun, but it doesn't show much!

Fault finding on highly modified Arcam Alpha cd player - YouTube

Schottky diods

Hi there,

could you let me know the type of the schottkys you used for the mod on the Arcam Alpha cd Player? I currently have BYD33G types in mine. They are apparently 400V, is that necessary? I have seen lots of People recomending schottky 11DQ10 wich are only 100V. Would they last or should I better use 11DQ20 (200V)?

I would be greateful for your advice.
Thank you.

I changed most of the caps on the main board, and on the audio board. I changed the PSU diodes on the audio board only (schottky types). I used S Power regulation for the +5V and -15V rails for the DAC (-5V to follow). I used some old Audiocom Super Regs I had to power the RAM, digital filter, decoder and my clock, which is an Audioupgrades C1.

I used basic Sanyo os-cons for most digital decoupling, and os-con SEPC around the DAC. On the -15V rail I used Rubycon ZA.

I changed the DAC chip for a Taiwan-badged part that I think sounds better. I changed the MSB caps to 1uF, then 0.47uF for next-most-MSB.

On the servo I added 78/7912 regulators (installed flat for CDM clearance) to power the motor drive op-amp. I installed a 7912 and LM317 (configured for +12V) to power the TCA0372 (Focus drive and Radial drive op-amp). I installed a dedicated 7805 for the TDA8808/8809. I also installed decoupling caps where there were unused spaces on the PCB. Everything in this are must be quite flat to avoid fouling the mounting parts or swing-arm of the mech. See picture attached for example.

Hi Walter :D

Another tip from ...thank you !
I'll get a few and see what happens.

I missed all this stuff and so came back a few days ago following the purchase of an astonishingly cheap player ( actually two ) that has a chip on board that sings like a bird...in fact it's possible it's going to blow my old faithful to pieces after I've fixed a few things.

I'm getting excited all over again....which is slightly worrying !!

It always means spending money !! hahaha

If you are still waiting.......and waiting....

11DQ10 are fine - I used uf4002 from memory.

What have you managed to do so far ?

Like it ?

Thank you for your reply, I was not desperately waiting (-:

Until today I changed all the ELCOs on the Audio board, changed the couple caps to Nichicon Muse 100uF 25V (do not know if that was a good choice?? What do you think?) and changed the SAA7220P/B to a NOS board from NET Audio.

Is it worth changing the ELCOs on the digital board ore are they not so important?
How big an improvement should I expect changing the BYD33G to schottky 11DQ10 or the recomended Fairchild Stelth ISL9R460PF2 600V/4A/22ns Mouser 512-ISL9R460PF2 diods? The comments I have read online are not really unambilious and the BYD33G are as far as I know not bad either.

Thank you for your reply and hope to receive other good hints.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.