Arcam Alpha mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Agree completely

I sold them at the shop when they were new models and were fabulous - the build was very satisfying as I remember.
Easily holding it's own against the ' then new ish ' Meridian 206 and later 207. In fact that was ' the dem to do ' if someone had a grand to spend - those three.

You've heard a modded 94-2 - wow ?
Better than your Alpha as it stands ?

I'm sure your mate UV101 have maxed out Phillips 960 and that looks really tasty too.

Andrew

Lee / Thomo on here did a 94 with extensive mods and in a state of moderate tune (more than most would ever do, to be honest) I heard it in my own system and I LOVED it. At the time my player was a CD63KI with twin clocks and many regs. The 94 was no more detailed but so much more substantial-sounding and natural. It had a certain weight I realised my cd63 was lacking. That was what sent me on the 1541 path. I can't say how that player would've compared to my Alpha as it now stands but I suspect there would be a lot in common. One odd thing in my mind, though, is the 94 seemed to have a sugar-sweet treble that I really liked and I've never heard that from the Alpha. Lee thinks the Servo and/or CDM1 mech are responsible for some qualities that player had, but then maybe the larger TDA decoupling caps also affected the character. I bet if anyone really knows it's Thorsten Loesch!

Andrew,

I got the cap today, many thanks. Looks like New Old Stock. I will try to get it fitted soon.

I think my laser is dying or a bit weak as it took a lot of attempts to read Jazz at the Pawnshop. I think this disc's foil layer is a bit thin which isn't helping. Sounds great now that it's playing and hasn't stopped yet... (last track now)

Simon

Yes, should have explained - it is new old stock, apologies !
The tolerance of the old ones are significantly better than new stuff unfortunately. I saw some new ones at 5% and 10 but no 1 or 2 %.

I don't think silver mica goes off over time.

I have been thinking about the gains you may hear with your machine and this cap and considering your clock is significantly better than mine plus all the other stuff you've done it may not be such a big deal sonically as it has been for me - or better put - less noticeable to you.

I do hope it is worth it.

The laser issue is a bit upsetting if you are right but it's amazing how many machines use our CDM4's. It may not be so hard to find one.
I have a list somewhere detailing every model and it's transport.

I have another Alpha with a broken laser that I bought so I can use it's case just for the transformers so I can have a matching 2 box set up.
I would have sent the CDM4 tomorrow if it were working :-(

Good luck with all this - hope you can just tweak it somehow to keep it going

Andrew

Changing the laser shouldn't be too bad. I'll let it get a bit worse first lol

I love even small improvements in SQ from my system now as I'm basically really happy with my sound for the first time ever. There is no destructive weakness to my ears, it suits my tastes perfectly at last. Yes, there are things that could be better... of course it could sound even more open and detailed and more dynamic with purer mids and treble and deeper, harder bass. But I am happy :)

My new friend Lucas Fikus ( not joking :eek: ) just recently told me my choice of valves was wrong for direct DAC out - simply not enough gain.... F..k
So I've got to buy something else instead.
Just so happens his suggestion is very costly so the plan is shelved.

Hence my interest in DEM re clocking - we've got to try it Simon - it's cheap to do and the ecdesigns man has said it's a fair step up even after the advanced re clocking you've done and I've copied

I should have the resistors soon and then I'm going for it.
I have another Alpha DAC board from the scrapper I mentioned earlier so that'll be the victim for this test !!

I just wonder what's going to happens to the sound with even less jitter - will I notice it - or will I just pretend to notice it :D

I really must stop soon before I fry it completely :eek:

RE DEM reclocking

Andrew, thanks for bringing this topic to my attention. I had followed the ECDESIGNS thread earlier. The info around reclocking is intriguing and your feed back on the cap matching captured my interest. After reading a bunch of the thread this is now a must do improvement for me. I dropped into my local parts store. Best I could pick up was a couple of 100pf mica caps at 2%. I figure this will give enough to at least oversample. Without a scope I don't think we can be sure we 'lock on' anyways. If it is promising I'll add silver Mica caps to my next Russian order (which takes weeks to mail to Canada).

BTW, on your lampizator project, 6N2P is the ideal tube which can be $2.50 each from Russian ebay stores.

I am also intreagued to try EC Designs home made honey comb resistors for critical performance spots. Would also be ideal in home brewed regulators. There is a ton of interesting stuff on his site.

How nice are they ?

I'd have them on the outside of the box just to look a them in circuit !!

I agree DEM is an absolute ' must do ' and I'm determined to do something before the weekend is over - it's just a few parts...but get it wrong and it could be a smoker - that's my fear.

It'll probably just oscillate and distort however and I can tweak the values until it's stable.
The problem I've got in my head is that I've lifted the CK resistor to feed my 11.2 and 5.6 to the TDA pins 2 & 4. I'm sure pins 16 and 17 are CK linked so if I feed in the spare 2.8 mhz that I've got via the resistors will it clash somehow and not work at all. I really don't understand it properly which is why I want Simon to have a go. He DOES understand it but I'm sure he's not convinced the gains will be of any real order of magnitude over what he has already.
Actually, it's hard to imagine him getting much more out of his Alpha as it stands - yours too probably.

We'll have to give him a group ' shove '

On valves, Lucas did mention the 6N2P but also a ecc83 or 88 as being ' on the money '
6N2P are cheap ? I never checked those - bit of a mistake on my part there.
Thinking about taking a feed off the i/v op amp to the 6N6P's to see how it sounds - that's the solution short term.

It's all a bit easier having a spare DAC board - I must say

Andrew

How nice are they ?

I'd have them on the outside of the box just to look a them in circuit !!
I think the sound of the 6n2p is awesome. I have them pointing out the back of the Arcam box which does look quite good.

I too get concerned about pulling it apart and finally breaking it. It has gotten quite good, and I'd be disapointed to lose it. I fear that I'll spike the chip with static or goof and hit is with some stray current. I also occasionally lift the copper traces off the pcb. It is very fragile on this board.

I think, how could I expect to get more out of it. Then I discover a whole new level. Recall I use mine as a USB DAC. I went in on the week end and rewired the source to have a dedicated power supply to the clock. Wow, another jump. So it makes me realize there are so many items I have not touched, like the DEM, super regs on all the power supplies and the like. When I read what ECDESIG is doing now from where he started, I can only imagine the sound he is getting. That's what I love about this hobby. I have learned so much and yet have bearly begun to learn.

Well hopefully I can report soon the impact of 200pf on 16/17.
Walter

Well hopefully I can report soon the impact of 200pf on 16/17.
Walter

Well I did it and it is great. While listening to my favorite test tunes I wrote a great long post waxing poetically like a reviewer about how good it is. Looks like I lost the post.

Must summarize as its late. This is unbelieveable. Thank you Andrew!!

A level of realism has emerged I did not think possible. Natural across the spectrum. Effortless. Feels real. Dark background. Spooky real. Wood is wood, brass is brass. Strings shimmer.

I was listening to Patricia Barber, Cafe Blue. She took a breath and I could sense it was through her nostrils. Really caught me off guard.

BTW, here is a pic of those tubes. More another day. Thanks

Attachments

• 6n2p on the Arcam 001.JPG
    6n2p on the Arcam 001.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 192
Nice tubes, would be good to protect them somehow though. It's good to hear the caps work well @ just 200pF. I'd better get my cap in...

Andrew, you seriously overestimate my understanding of the DEM re-clocking lol. I have some experience modding players but I don't understand every tweak I do. Much is just humbly copied.

Last edited:
It's good to hear the caps work well @ just 200pF. .

If I read it correctly, the lower the Cap value the higher the sampling rate. They recommend that as you go lower, make sure you have solid grounding from decoupling caps.

I see this as very analogous to overclocking a cpu in your PC. Its the same chip that sells for $100 as at $500. The better quality chip gets pushed to a higher level and they charge more. Thorsten Loesch said he was getting better than double crown performance from regular 1541A chips thru DEM reclocking. The chips are the same. Some are better spec. If we drive our chip to do more work without hitting the breakdown point, we get the performance ABOVE the best factory priced chip.

By going to 200pf, I am one step higher i sample rate. If I understand correctly.

I am most interested in your results as you have the super regs I have yet to implement. My guess is you could go further with better power if our chips happen to be equal in fab spec.

Is it just me - or it this exciting ?

I've just ripped out a 74HCUO4N D type flip flop thing out of an old alpha 5 plus dac board and I'm busy loading some vero board with resistors and a +5v teddy reg at +5 volts.

I may just have this DEM bollocks sorted out by tea time !!!!!!!

Read this below :

Reclocking using a 74HC04 does this:
Bass becomes tighter and conveys tone better, leading edges of notes are faster and more defined, High frequenices loose the slight fuzzyness and become crystal clear. High hats sound like real high hats, brassy and fast. Overall detail improves vastly over the stock sound using the cap ( that's our cap he's talking about guys !! ). Background sounds and "atmosphere" are easilly heard. The prominent midrange sound of the TDA1541 goes away. The sound is more balanced from top to bottom. Bass goes deeper and more realistic. highs seem to go higher and cleaner. There is NO downside whatsoever. Like I said earlier, everything gets better UNQUOTE

I don't think I'll be much longer - if I get music - it works !
Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.