TC9237BN DAC chip ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2010, 01:33 PM   #1
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TC9237BN DAC chip ?

OK I got a toshiba TC9237BN in my kenwood DP-R4550.
And I found a datasheet for it - http://jp.ic-on-line.cn/IOL/datashee...7bf_118895.pdf

Sadly I am not smart enough to be able to tell where the output comes out of that.
My guess is 5 or 6 for right and 9 or 10 for left. That correct ? no ? can someone point it out.

Also the CD carousel is a lot bigger than I thought, but can squeeze in on the side of it ... especially the FET type ones. Tubes will not fit inside it, and if it wont fit inside, I cant use it in my stacked cabinet. Restrictions restrictions.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 14th May 2010, 08:03 PM   #2
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My guess is 5 or 6 for right and 9 or 10 for left.
The answer is 5 and 6 for right and 9 and 10 for left. This DAC IC has differential outputs, meaning that for each channel it outputs two signals, equal in magnitude but opposite in sign.

You don't say what you intend to do with the player, but I'm going to guess you want to add a new analog stage. Either select one that has a differential voltage input, or use just the noninverted outputs of the DAC IC (LO and RO) like you would with any unbalanced output DAC IC. Be aware that the taking the later option will lose you some performance.
Old 14th May 2010, 08:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yea I would like to do a fet based (no room in there to fit tubes, and this is my first attempt at any serious electronics) analog stage.
Now what is loss of performance - like I lose some of the sound ?

And how would I do a differential voltage input into my analog stage. I will look on the few sites I have been pouring over as well. Thanks muchly.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 14th May 2010, 08:51 PM   #4
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

You won't 'lose' any of the sound, you just won't get the noise performance you'd have got by using both outputs.

I don't know of any output stages to suit this DAC IC, but there's bound to be a few. You'll have to research that.
Old 14th May 2010, 09:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Noise performance - as in it will have more hiss at any volume right.
I guess I should open my other kenwood - the DP-M5550 and look into it and see if it has the same chip.
Then see if I can find the inverting output stage for it. Cos I am doing this whole thing to get much nicer sound, enough so my wife will notice.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 17th May 2010, 03:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I had another thought.
Can I pull that whole DAC and output stage board out of that CD player, get the output from the thing's CD reader into an all new dac chip, then get its output through a fet type circuitry. That way I wont have to deal with the negative outputs etc ?
Thanks.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hide this!Advertise here!