Krell KAV-250CD mk2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2010, 10:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Krell KAV-250CD mk2

I bought recently second hand KAV250CD mk2, which works very well.
I cleaned the lens using a standard cleaning comercial CD cleaner, and almost immediately after that, I noticed sometimes the CD skips, no matter if it is new or old, printed or recorded.

This made a suspicion to me, that maybe I should change the pickup (or anyway to have one to spare), but I cannot find any information which model is. Asked Krell support, but they (as expected) are sugesting to buy from them, for 200$.

Does anybody have this kind of experience, and does it anybody know which laser pickup unit is inside this model?

Any input appreciated

Last edited by eradoncic; 5th May 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 6th May 2010, 02:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
My records say it's a CEC mech with a Sanyo laser that's all, no model no's. I know the KAV-300cd has a KSS-240A laser.

Cheers George
Old 12th May 2010, 03:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wlell it is not C.E.C...it is some older Philips, ECOSL mk3, or something.
Krell sells it for 200$ from the service entrwork, but I did not understand - only laser pick up, or whole trransport? It seems a bit too much to be only pickup
Old 13th May 2010, 03:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehifi View Post
My records say it's a CEC mech with a Sanyo laser that's all, no model no's. I know the KAV-300cd has a KSS-240A laser.

Cheers George
The KAV300CD has the Sony KSS-213.
Old 13th May 2010, 04:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commstech View Post
The KAV300CD has the Sony KSS-213.
Hm...I don't think so, according to some internal pictures, it seems like some of the VRDS/TEAC transport in KAV 300CD
Old 15th May 2010, 04:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradoncic View Post
Hm...I don't think so, according to some internal pictures, it seems like some of the VRDS/TEAC transport in KAV 300CD
the transport mech is teac vrds cmk4. laser unit is kss-213. i dare to bet to my last dollar on this one. why? because i have this player, and i have done replacement of laser pickup for it.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commstech View Post
the transport mech is teac vrds cmk4. laser unit is kss-213. i dare to bet to my last dollar on this one. why? because i have this player, and i have done replacement of laser pickup for it.
Confirm CMK4 but I beg to differ on the laser pickup. The laser unit is the KSS240A. I also have the KAV300CD and have just replaced the 2-step tray gear and also adjusted the focus and tracking gains. (see TEAC vrds T1 gear broken thread) Unless of course the laser unit used is dependent on mod number.

Last edited by uberteknik; 20th September 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 21st September 2010, 04:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

And the lesson here is that you should NEVER use a 'lens cleaning cd'.
Those little tassles are known to damage laser pickups and there alignment.
Old 21st September 2010, 05:58 AM   #9
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

If it is a Sony pickup the lens suspension has probably failed, you usually can tell this if the lens is sagging in the pick up assembly. I have managed to save a few by heating it in a low temperature (inverted) for a few hours and normalizing the temperature slowly. This might work but not always.

Jam

Hide this!Advertise here!