Esoteric D-1 DAC nude photos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I've got the one set of the Teac Esoteric P-1 and D-1. I decide to modify this very soon. Before that I need more info of it, like the datasheet of the chips what it using.

Please feel free to give the advise on the modification of this unit!

The info of this DAC as the following linking:
http://www.springair.org/index.html?d_17587_Teac_D_111943.htm

Digital input selector -> CXD1076 -> CXD1108 -> Teac made digital filter -> PCM64P

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bottom is the input section, reciver....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Through this socket tranfer the data to the DAC PCB.... I found that the socket which list [BCK](The white Plug) Clock frequency is 8.4672Mhz

I/V stage

Balance use output transformer

You also got that? Great..... ;)

I deside to modify the Master clock of the P-1 Transport and try to share the clock out for DAC also! Still planning! Add the reclock for the digital output....

Rebulid the filter part!

Still thinking.... will give more news when I done something! :happy1:

Mmm,

When looking at the number of chips in the 'receiver' section, there must be something more there: pll and reclocking maybe ??

Try to figure this out, schematics would be a good place to start. Or look at the chips there, PLL, fifo, ???

If reclocking is done there, you might only have to replace the master clock in the DAC. And then focus on the outputs.

Regards,
GuidoB

Hi hatasa,

I don't want to discourage you, but I urge you to forget about the I/V stage and perhaps do something about the transformer (mains) and perhaps the use of a Kwak Clock-7 and that's about it!
I know the PCM-64P and believe me, you don't want to touch that without having the schematics. DENON and KRELL did use the BB chip and experienced manny manny problems with this BB chip.
OTOH, you can do a lot if you have the schematics and afterwards enjoy every single moment of you'r CD's if you do the right modification(s).

All the best and good luck!

Audiofanatic ;)

Attachments

• pcm64-1-kl.jpg
    pcm64-1-kl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,816
Thanks for the information..... You just got the first page of it? If you have the complete datasheet, would you mind to share with me?

Yes! It really make me confuse when I check out the pin by follow the circuit... I think I will keep the I/V stage there and just modify on the filter part only!

Hey Gudio, I also have the same idea of you... But I need to know is there really have the re-clock there... Now just can confirm that there should not have PLL!!!

Thanks of all!

The Technics X1000 and Z1000 was supposedly better than Esoteric. It was CAD 8,000 per DAC and another 8,000 for transport. I bough tit used in 1994 and it looked really beutiful inside. The DAC is using RAM buffer. Upgraded some resistor and caps in both and that was mostly all I modified there. Last year I built PCM1704 based DAC and it was quite better than Tecnics. The transport is fine, but my recent comparisons with Marantz CD-94 indicate that Marantz might be actually better.

Attachments

• tec1.jpg
    tec1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,259
Audiofanatic said:
Hi hatasa,

I don't want to discourage you, but I urge you to forget about the I/V stage and perhaps do something about the transformer (mains) and perhaps the use of a Kwak Clock-7 and that's about it!
I know the PCM-64P and believe me, you don't want to touch that without having the schematics. DENON and KRELL did use the BB chip and experienced manny manny problems with this BB chip.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am planning to upgrade my Krell 20i. Apart from the clock and relocking of the digital ouput, I would like to do something about the OP37 and other opamps.

Are you saying that I shouldn't touch the I/V opamps at all? I find a schematic and would appreciate help from anyone who has worked on the Krell.:)

Audiofanatic said:
BTW fmak,

If you have the schematics of you'r 20i KRELL I'll be glad to help you with it.

------------------------
Sorry, I mean to say that I could not get schematic. The Krell 20i uses the same BB chip (PCM64K) and I was wondering if I should touch the I/V section at all.

Does anyone have a schematic of the Krell 20i please?

Hi fmak,

The schematic, will be heard to get or impossible.
If the I/V stage is built with OpAmp's than I urge you to build a new one with descrete components. I'll see what I can do for you.
The I/V stage of the PCM64P can be made without OpAmp's.
Like the KRELL SBP64X DAC. I don't have the schematic of the KRELL but I do have the KRELL here and I can try to lookfor you and hope that you will not need a balanced output.

This is what I found in the data's I have from a DENON CD Player.
I hope the file is not to big.

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Attachments

• pcm64-denon kl.jpg
    pcm64-denon kl.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 970
Like the KRELL SBP64X DAC. I don't have the schematic of the KRELL but I do have the KRELL here and I can try to lookfor you and hope that you will not need a balanced output.

-------------------------------------
Thanks; will be in touch when I start on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.