Sony cd player CDP-102 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2010, 05:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony cd player CDP-102

I have a Sony CDP-102 that I bought years ago. I simply did not use my stereo very often. Sometimes once or twice a year with maybe playing one cd. Often times it took years to play it due to too much TV. Recently I tried to use it and the tray barely open and close, so I help it by pulling it or pushing it lightly when it closes. Its O.K. other than that problem and playing only tracks 1 and 2. It will not advance to other tracks no matter what I do. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME FIX IT? I was reading Bricolo's tread. Can I clean the lens from the outside or I have to open the unit?
Old 25th April 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Well I can't recall working on one of these, but it sounds an easy fix.
Yes you have to take the top off to clean the lens (and post some pics if you can).

Not playing all the tracks sounds like the sled is sticking... look and see if it's a rack and pinion system or a linear slide... obvious when you look.

The drawer... does it use a belt ? Again you are going to have to look. On anything this age dried out lubricant is the major problem, old grease solidifies too.

Edit... perhaps a moderator could move this to the Digital Source forum... and being a new member you won't trigger the thread notifier either

Last edited by Mooly; 25th April 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 25th April 2010, 08:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your insterest Mooly. I just open the top and the tray slides along two parallel rods on each side. I saw underneath a belt moving from one idler as it moves forward then a tug sound or jerk and the tray moves back as the belt move back too. So the tray just keep on moving back and forth. I did not do anything else because I was waiting for any help. I was about to remove the whole tray assembly after I saw the four screws holding it.
Old 26th April 2010, 06:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

The problem is almost certainly old dried out grease etc.
Disc drawers normally have a couple of micro switches to detect when fully open and full closed. If the drawer doesn't make it to the ends to trip these, it can just keep going in and out. The logic times out after a few seconds and reverses the motor.

The belts can be ruled out if they are able to "stall" the motor. If you can hear/see the motor spinning but the pulleys not turning then the belt is suspect.

The proper way to relubricate is really to clean all the old stuff off, then use a suitable grease that's compatable with plastic/metal/nylon. Don't just use oil or automotive grease. Look at the slides, and look at any worm gears as these are favourite for getting gunged up.

It would help if you could come up with a service manual... I think the CDP 302 ? might have used the same mechanism.
Old 26th April 2010, 07:06 AM   #5
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I have a CDP-103, but I guess trays are the same.
The "belt" will be probaly a thin steel cable with a spring to give elasticty.
It is wound two times around one gear, maybe spring and/or gear cause the stall.

Generally a good tray it was used in Accuphase players as well.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Rolfast2

Mooly you are right. Its just lubrication problem, because after I cleaned the rods where the tray slides, the tray goes out. Sometimes completely out and stops the motor. It does not go in completely though. Maybe after lubrication it will. Under a plastic worm gear from a horizontal motor which engages another plastic gear that lifts the cover of the disk before it goes out are two plastic gears with grease which probably need new grease. This is very hard to reach though. On the right side, viewed from behind is a vertical motor that drives a pulley on the left with a rubber belt. Another pulley below this is another pulley which drives another pulley on the left again with a rubber belt. This last pulley pulls the tray in, using stranded wire. I took pictures of the tray assembly which I will include in the next post. I took the whole assembly out.
Old 27th April 2010, 03:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Rolfast2

The laser also slides on two smaller rods. I don't see any dirt or any sign of lubrication but seems it sticks at the ends against the sides before it starts moving. Seems it is held by electomagnet at the ends. The tray tracks also shows no lubrication but just dirt, if ever maybe very very light.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

If you can just move the laser at will and feel the "magnetism" pulling on the sled then it sounds like it's a linear motor... a few early players went down that route. Worth cleaning the slides and relubricating. If they look like phosphour bronze bearings then a tiny drop of a fairly heavy oil (3 in 1 consistency but not grease) might be worth trying.

With regard to the tray you really need to look at all sliding surfaces and friction points and wash all the old gunge off... surprising how it all adds up (the friction)
Old 1st May 2010, 02:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Picture 1 shows the top view of the tray that slides out to the right. Picture 2 shows the two gears before cleaning. I remove them then cleaned 4 gears then apply grease. I ALREADY FIX THE TRAY AND NOW IT SLIDES SMOOTHLY, THANKS. Picture 3 shows the back of the tray assembly. Picture 4 is the bottom of the assembly showing the sled that carries the laser. Tray slides out to the left. The sled moves freely once the assembly's ends are lifted. The unit still does not scan and still plays track 1 and 2 after just cleaning the track, no oil. Is it O.K. to apply heavy oil? Is it safe to clean the plates with isopropyl acohol? Its not really dirty. Sled moves to the center of the disk once loaded. Sorry, don't know how to add photo.
Old 1st May 2010, 06:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Too add a photo,
First click "go advanced" in the box below the "quick reply" message box. Doesn't matter if you decide half way through a message to do that, it carries it foward.

Then click "Manage attachements"
Click browse in the first box at the top and find your picture. Repeat for any more pictures.
Click upload... a message appears "uploading"
When complete, scroll down to the bottom of page and click "close this window"

The pictures should now be attached and when you post will appear. I don't think they show in message preview... they never used to anyway.

Make sure your pics aren't too big, a couple of 100k is plenty, and many object when they are massive and it alters the margins
It tells you in the attachments window what max sizes are allowed.

Hide this!Advertise here!