Basic CD player Mods - where to start

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All ,

I'm doing the digital thing for the first time and have a Rega Jupiter to play with and would like to upgrade (mod) and would appreciate if i could get some directions as to where and what basic stuff to Mod !

1. Does PSU mods make a difference ?
2. Diodes , caps , or what about seperate PSU altogether .

there is plenty here , but where to start for basic improvements , before diving in 2 deep ... :)

regards,

Any OpAmps that are used in the comercial CD players should be replaced. I didn't see one player (in less that 1000$ range) that has decent ones.

Turns out that this one was listed at USD1895 (in 2002). Can't find a consistent story about what DACs it uses - one site says it thinks BB and another, Wolfson. What's obviousy a marketing smokescreen is Rega's claim (on their website) that the DACs are 'custom built IC40 DAC chips' and 'Rega 24 Bit Sigma Delta IC40 DAC'. Rega does not generate the sales volumes to build its own DAC chips.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Any OpAmps that are used in the comercial CD players should be replaced. I didn't see one player (in less that 1000$ range) that has decent ones.
The Oppo 980 ($170 new) has four NE5532 for the analog outputs. Are they decent? I don't think I have the nerve to desolder them just now.

Too bad all the caps are Acon and Midcon which I've never heard of, so not confidence inspiring. I will be digging in there soon.

I've had success in the past just swapping diodes and caps for larger values with a film cap across: whatever would fit from my box-o-caps. But on this Oppo I think I'm going with a mix of Elna RFS and Nichicon poly solid electrolytic type from DigiKey.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Indeed by far the single biggest improvement in my system came from swapping OP249 in my preamp for LM4562. I cannot gush enough about this op amp! No amount of fooling with the PS could approach the difference the LM4562 made!

And my older DVD player in which I had previously beefed up the caps and put in nicer diodes (1N4947) has an SMD (NJM4558?) opamp to practice on, so I'm going to psych myself up for that...

2604 sound awful to me. LM4562 are very smooth and clean (can seem clinical in some players). 5532/5534/JRC2114 are musical but grainy. I heard 249 once and they were rubbish.

If the Jupiter comes with op-amps these can be changed. A clock upgrade is also very easy usually.

Power supply mods are the most important thing for any cd player! The op-amps can change the character and grain but not the real quality.

Simon

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Mooly, I actually read that thread when it was new. In my case it will be even easier once I snip the legs off the old op amp. I'm mostly worried about lifting pads on these cheap pcbs.

When doing little mods, it would be nice to do one change at a time to be able to hear the effects of say, the diodes, then the caps, but then once you have it all apart and the pcb out you just want to get it all done and never go back inside.

For sure, that OP249 was garbage, yet B&K had specially selected it for the AVP1000 preamp.

Indeed by far the single biggest improvement in my system came from swapping OP249 in my preamp for LM4562. I cannot gush enough about this op amp! No amount of fooling with the PS could approach the difference the LM4562 made!

And my older DVD player in which I had previously beefed up the caps and put in nicer diodes (1N4947) has an SMD (NJM4558?) opamp to practice on, so I'm going to psych myself up for that...

Great ...... not sure i want to tackle the op-amp deal just yet ! :confused:

Turns out that this one was listed at USD1895 (in 2002). Can't find a consistent story about what DACs it uses - one site says it thinks BB and another, Wolfson. What's obviousy a marketing smokescreen is Rega's claim (on their website) that the DACs are 'custom built IC40 DAC chips' and 'Rega 24 Bit Sigma Delta IC40 DAC'. Rega does not generate the sales volumes to build its own DAC chips.

Yes that price new is correct . The isolation is horrible IMO and i have been working on this with some improvement , mostly no skipping on crescendos and added mass to the top case ....

Regading the dac chip, what would one change this 2 , what is a good ,better , best , DAC chip ?

2604 sound awful to me. LM4562 are very smooth and clean (can seem clinical in some players). 5532/5534/JRC2114 are musical but grainy. I heard 249 once and they were rubbish.

If the Jupiter comes with op-amps these can be changed. A clock upgrade is also very easy usually.

Power supply mods are the most important thing for any cd player! The op-amps can change the character and grain but not the real quality.

Simon

My first goal is to tackle the PSU , a Better power cord did make a difference , next will be diodes , caps and what is your thoughts on separate supplies with bigger tranny ?

Still looking for a service manual ..................... !

Regading the dac chip, what would one change this 2 , what is a good ,better , best , DAC chip ?

On the basis that its probably a Wolfson WM8740 I'd be inclined to leave it alone for the time being until you've improved the grounding, the supplies and the clock. Then after those are sorted you could try BB or ADI (PCM1792/4 or AD1853/1955). No point in upgrading the DAC when the rest of the infrastructure sucks:D Do those things really suck in a $2000 player though?

what is your thoughts on separate supplies with bigger tranny ?

Go for it! Many separate supplies is something no player comes with as standard. Even the huge Naim ones with an external supply usually just tap off one tx winding and supply.

When you pay more you usually get better separation between power rails but it's typically just done using regulators, which is a great start (but can be improved upon significantly). This is the case up to at least £2000+ players. I've not seen inside many beyond that price point so I'm not sure if they go further with psu separation or not.

Simon

On the basis that its probably a Wolfson WM8740 I'd be inclined to leave it alone for the time being until you've improved the grounding, the supplies and the clock. Then after those are sorted you could try BB or ADI (PCM1792/4 or AD1853/1955). No point in upgrading the DAC when the rest of the infrastructure sucks:D Do those things really suck in a $2000 player though?

Go for it! Many separate supplies is something no player comes with as standard. Even the huge Naim ones with an external supply usually just tap off one tx winding and supply.

When you pay more you usually get better separation between power rails but it's typically just done using regulators, which is a great start (but can be improved upon significantly). This is the case up to at least £2000+ players. I've not seen inside many beyond that price point so I'm not sure if they go further with psu separation or not.

Simon

Well guys this is what i have found out so far .... Supposedly it does have separate supplies and a Wolfson DAC chip :

Power supplies, the importance of which is highlighted in the Jupiter. It has seven! Rega uses a high performance Sony CD mechanism, and to minimize the effect of footfalls, a case isolation system (they call it the Viscous Coupled Foot System, better known to us Regaphiles as 'squishy feet'). Along with the better power supply(s), the primary improvement is in the DACs. The dual differential 24 bit IC40 DAC chips are sourced from Edinburgh's Wolfson Microelectronics. Additionally, Rega has taken the greatest care with both data regeneration and clocking stages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.