Top Flight DAC - very High End audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2003, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to b_online Send a message via MSN to b_online Send a message via Yahoo to b_online
Default Top Flight DAC - very High End audio

Hi everybody,

I am trying to decide among a few dac kits I have seen online:
- Guido Tent and friends DAC http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijlige...tml/dactop.htm
- http://www.diyaudio.de/
- www.ddac.de

As a reference for you, I like very much the Audio Note DAC 5 signature DAC. It is the most musical and detailed/dynamic/soundstage/AIRy dac I have listened so far...
True, there are some DACs around that maybe have better timing, a more precise soudnstage etc, but none of the ones I have listened so far have such such a big dose of all of these and the incredibly musical performance of the AN DAC 5Signature...

I know that all of the DAC kits i mention will probably not reach the level of performance of the DAC5, but I still want to know which one would you advice me to build based on your experience...

Thanks a lot to all of you for your help!

B Lopez

PD- I know there are some other designs around, but I need to build something I can easily get the PCBs, mounting instructions and some kind of feedback or help should anything go wrong, since this wll be my first ever project besides the Crossover from my speakers.....
Thanks again
Old 15th June 2003, 02:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I HIGHLY recommend you try out this one:

http://ack.dhs.org

is it brand new, and I just built the kit two weeks ago and am still stunned by it's extremely good sound. Nothing touches it for the price.
There is a free demo that can be mailed to you, so you can't go wrong.

Regards,

Vinnie
Old 15th June 2003, 10:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Top Flight DAC - very High End audio

Quote:
Originally posted by b_online
- www.ddac.de
Hm, the german ladies automobile club???? Can't seem to find
any DACs there, but maybe you end up finding something
more interesting than a DAC if you contact them.
Old 15th June 2003, 10:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie R.
I HIGHLY recommend you try out this one:

http://ack.dhs.org
That has to be one of the best examples of graphic design getting in the way of content I have ever seen. It is painful to read the front page.

Also a bit naughty not to link to the forum where they say they designed this thing, or at least had help doing so.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th June 2003, 01:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Talking Re: Re: Top Flight DAC - very High End audio

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer

Hm, the german ladies automobile club???? Can't seem to find
any DACs there, but maybe you end up finding something
more interesting than a DAC if you contact them.

www.dddac.de
Old 15th June 2003, 06:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

That has to be one of the best examples of graphic design getting in the way of content I have ever seen. It is painful to read the front page.

Also a bit naughty not to link to the forum where they say they designed this thing, or at least had help doing so.

Are you sure you are referring to the ack!DAC webpage? There are only three small pictures, so how does this get in the way of content

I was only trying to share information on a product that I bought, built the kit, and found to be fantastic. I don't know where your comment about being "naughty not to link the forum" comes from? The link I provided mentions a free demo to try, and I just wanted to share this information, not talk about how it was designed, etc.

-Vinnie
Old 15th June 2003, 07:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Ok, so you like the six or seven vertical columns of text, one or two words wide, stretching way down the page then

I'm sure their product is fine, but the web page is appalling.

They also mention, in one of the above mentioned columns, that the design comes from a gainclone discussion forum, and I feel personally it would have been polite to link to it...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th June 2003, 08:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Pinkmouse,

are you sure you are referring to the page you linked to (that is
http://ack.dhs.org/ )? It doesn't even remotely resemble your
description of it.

Perhaps it badly coded so it appers very different in different
browsers?? I had a brief look at the source code and it looked
little bit strange, but it is many years since I last hacked HTML
code, so I can't say it that could be the cause.
Old 15th June 2003, 08:08 PM   #9
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

On my browser it is a very clean layout, one wide column- quite attractive. Now the ladies driving club site-what's with that?
Old 15th June 2003, 08:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I also like the layout and the product seems to be good, although it could be improved further
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!