Modding a Teac P500 transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a P500/D500 combo,I'm looking at ways to improve it.

On opening I have found the spindle motor is about £7 worth,very small and pretty crummy as is the plastic platter.

Is it worth replacing these with better quality items, or should I just look at caps and resistors.

Cheers

Nev

On opening I have found the spindle motor is about £7 worth,very small and pretty crummy as is the plastic platter.

Is it worth replacing these with better quality items, or should I just look at caps and resistors.

And replace the stock platter and motor with what?
It's been a few years, but I went through my P500 within my ability. New caps, Burson shunt regs, a Burson clock, dampening. A friend of mine has a stock P500, the modded version did sound better in direct comparison. Never did get to re clocking the SPDIF out though. I think that would have helped significantly. Wished I knew something about setting up the laser also.

New good quality EL caps can't hurt this unit at the very least. How old are these now?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
IMO I can't modd the DAC, better to buy a new one with latest technology like Buffalo II TP guys.

I own also a P500 full modded with all BG caps & sound very, very good but the plastic spindle is break so can't use it the last 2 years.

I mind (if you dislike PC/laptop like player) is a good idea to modd the transport, but about clock don't worry: better change in the DAC.

Good lucky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.