Sony X5000 troubleshooting

Hi
I understand the KSS 272A laser unit is -since a long time, not available anymore.
Anyone having succed finding any eqvivalent unit, or tracking/changing the diode successfully?
Please I need advise what action to take
Brgds
P
Either you have an other compact disc player model or an other laser unit - go to
ÎÒµÄ SONY CDP-X5000 CD PLAYER ÖйúDIY¾ãÀÖ²¿
and to the attachements

The KSS272A (= 884824411 = KSS-272A) is inside there:
SONY CDP-X339ES, CDP-X559ES, CDP-X303ES, CDP-555ESD, CDP-505ES,
CDP-X707ES, CDP-X505ES, CDP-777ESJ, CDP-555ESJ
ACCUPHASE DP-65, DP-75, DP-65V und DP-75V
(DP65, DP75, DP65V und DP75V SONY CDPX339ES, CDPX559ES, CDPX303ES, CDP505ES, CDPX707ES, CDPX505ES, CDP777ESJ, CDP555ESJ, SONY CDP-X 339 ES, CDP-X 559 ES, CDP-X 303 ES, CDP-X 707 ES, CDP-X 505 ES, CDP-777 ESJ, CDP-555 ESJ SONY CDP-X339 ES, CDP-X559 ES, CDP-X303 ES, CDP-505 ES, CDP-X707 ES, CDP-X505 ES, CDP-777 ESJ, CDP-555 ESJ SONY CDPX339 ES, CDPX559 ES, CDPX303 ES, CDP505 ES, CDPX707 ES, CDPX505 ES, CDP777 ESJ, CDP555 ESJ).
But not inside by x5000 (CDP-X 5000) !!

Attachments

• Sony CDPX5000.jpg
    Sony CDPX5000.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 888
  • sony-x5000-sotoduke-big.jpg
    sony-x5000-sotoduke-big.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,131
  • BU-12A KSS-274A.jpg
    BU-12A KSS-274A.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 891
  • sony-x5000-tate-big.jpg
    sony-x5000-tate-big.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,751
This much more newer model (the newest from the KSS series used in ESPRIT players - as I know) is in the meantime also no longer available about the SONY repair service.
But various auctions you will find sometimes, e. g.

CD???????KSS-274A
?? ?? KSS-274A - ?? KS Audio ?????? ??? 010-2929-8432 - ??! ???
Kogerer - CD / scroll down
CD?????? KSS,KHM,KHS,CDM,VAM,OPTIMA,SF,H,KCP,TAOHS,? (No 27)

and a discussion regarded the suppliers
www.HiFi-Forumi.com • Pogledaj temu - Sony kss for Sony Es

However - KSS-272A is much more harder to find than the KSS-274A - so I think. Hardest to find are the models KSS-280A (only inside in CDP-X77ES) and KSS-281A (only inside in CDP-X777ES).

I want to replace the laser diode itself by all no longer KSS models. Therefore I have start various threads here to get more informations about data sheets and replacement parts for the used laser diodes - unfortunately without success until this day:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...uccessor-sld-104u-sony-esprit-kss-series.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...k-about-sonys-kss-optical-pick-up-series.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ailable-optical-pickups-sonys-kss-series.html

Last edited:
Here is some info on the cdp x5000 taken from the service manual. It is about calibrating the laser output utilizing a special service disc: SECTION 1
SERVICING NOTE
NOTES ON HANDLING THE OPTICAL PICK-UP BLOCK
OR BASE UNIT
The laser diode in the optical pick-up block may suffer electrostatic
break-down because of the potential difference generated by the
charged electrostatic load, etc. on clothing and the human body.
During repair, pay attention to electrostatic break-down and also use
the procedure in the printed matter which is included in the repair
parts.
The flexible board is easily damaged and should be handled with
care.
NOTES ON LASER DIODE EMISSION CHECK
The laser beam on this model is concentrated so as to be focused on
the disc reflective surface by the objective lens in the optical pick-up
block. Therefore, when checking the laser diode emission, observe
from more than 30 cm away from the objective lens.
LASER DIODE AND FOCUS SEARCH OPERATION CHECK
Carry out the “S curve check” in “CD section adjustment” and check
that the S curve waveform is output three times.
WRITING OF FOCUS/TRACKING AUTO GAIN DATA
General CD palyers using digital servo ICs automatically adjust the
focus/tracking gain each time the disc is changed.
In this unit, the gain of the standard disc (YEDS-18) is written in the
non-volatile memory (IC203:X24C01S) of the servo board so that
the gain need not be re-adjusted when changing discs.
Therefore, if the servo board, IC203 of the servo board, or optical
pick-up has been replaced, be sure to write the auto gain data.
1. Connect TP (ADJ: Pin 3 of CN515) to GND (Ground), and turn
ON the POWER switch.
2. Insert the test disc (YEDS-18). (The TOC data of the disc will be
read.)
This memorizes the auto gain data of the test disc.
Note:
• If the disc is replaced without turning OFF the power, the auto gain
data of the last disc inserted will be memorized.
• If the POWER switch is turned ON without connecting TP (ADJ)
to GND, the auto gain data will not be memorized when the disc is
inserted, and the data memorized the last time will be taken as the
focus/tracking data.
FLUORESCENT INDICATOR TUBE FULL LIGHTING MODE
1. Connect TP (AFJ:pin 2 of CN515) to GND (Ground), and turn
ON the POWER switch.
2. The bridge check (check for short-circut between pins of the S
RAM (IC202 of the servo board)) is performed, and all the FL
tubes light up if there is no bridge.
3. When a key other than the p(stop) key is pressed, the corresponding
FL tubes lights up.
Each time the p(stop) key is pressed, all the FL tubes light up.
[SERVO BOARD] — Conductor Side —
CN514 CN513
CN515
IC104 IC105 IC102
IC202
ADJ
AFJ

Well, received the SONY cdp-x5000 player today from Singapore. After cleaning and removing dust and changing the small switches on the keyboard printed circuit board (probably corrosion, high humidity in Singapore) I cannot make it to fail on reading the disk. It works absolutely perfect. If you have problems reading the disc I would recommend the procedure mentioned earlier. If you open the top cover of the player (careful with the cabling) you will see three plugs with no connection on them in front of the drive. CN513 CN514 and CN515. Unless you are used to handling a soldering iron I would advice to find a plug that fits in the three pin CN515. Solder pin 1 and 3 together on the plug or put in an on/off switch for future use. (very handy). Turn off the power. Put in the plug or press the mounted switch. Insert the YEDS-18 and read the Table Of Content (TOC). Turn off the power. Remove the plug or turn switch off. The data has been saved in the small chip you see connected to pin 19 and 20 on controller IC201. One line is the clock an the other is data. I suspect this would calibrate the laser for mechanical wear/aging ?. I also suspect that the TOC of any CD would bee sufficient for this procedure but of that I am not certain. GOOD LUCK. I will post any information here that comes to my knowledge that would be of interest

Last edited:
Well the cdp-x5000 has started to skip when it is cold. During this cold winter i have had this problem repeatedly when the player is cold. When the player has been turned on for half an hour or so the skipping stops. I have reason to believe that it is the lubrication of the sledge carrying the cd/spindle motor that has dried up over time or that the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply feeding the sledge motor. (may be ripple on the voltage caused by dried out capacitors ?) I will take it apart and report back information of interest. Absolutely a wonderful player by the way.

Absolutely no ripple on the voltage feeding the sledge motor. Tried two very very tiny drops of a very sticky bicycle chain oil on the sledge guide. That cured the problem. My advice is: Try to find the right lubrication/grease. This player need a different damping of the movement of the sledge, because of the weight of the sledge plus the spindle motor. The friction here is crucial for the correct function of the player. Good luck.

Hello Dacen,
is the skipping problem cured until today? I have the very same problem, not very audible, because error interpolation does a good job here.
I used some grease (Judy Butter, for lubricating bike forks or bearings) years ago. I do not know, wether the problem existed before, because I found out maybe 2 or three years after buying in 1997.
Also the CDP X5000 does sometimes not start, when the lid is closed. This problen was from the very beginning
Replaced the lid switch, but only with little improvement.

All the best,
Salar

Last edited:
Yes the skipping problem is cured. The start up problem is something I am experiencing as well from time to time. Have been trying to look into the reset circuits of the chips involved but I have not been successful so far. I will certainly advice when I find the right solution. If you need the service manual for the x5000 I will send it to you, just let me know.

Hello dacen!
Thanks a lot for you quick reply!
Very interesting. So we both experience the same problems, there must be a weak point in the design.
Maybethe RC-circuit for denoising the switches´ impulses is missing?
I do not know the technical term for this circuitry. German expression is "entprellen / Anti-Prellschaltung".
I have the SM too and as far as I remember, the switches are directly connected to the logic IC´s.
So no "Prellschaltung". (Or RC-Circuit is implemented in the IC, but I guess the condensers needed are too large for this)
I also have some grease, from Panasonic Service but did not use it yet.
All the best,
Salar

Last edited:
Hello Dacen,
Look at C954 220PF on the Key Board, maybe this capacitor causes startup and skipping problems?

At least three inputs of IC´s are connected to it for resetting.
I do not know, how long a reset takes, but mabe it causes a reset signal...
too short to make complete reset but long enough to produce glitches?
The lubricants we use do not change viskosity according to temperture.
But a smoother lubricant might keep the motor in position. That´s why there are no glitches until the Player has warmed up... could be, I am not a technician...

Hi everybody!
i own this beautiful cd player since december,bought from holland,remote control is missing but the palyer is in perfect cosmetic conditions.It has some small problems that i hope someone can help me to solve them...The player make some reading errors,like skipping some audio data (sounds like "chik" and/or "chak")and occur only for the first song of the cd;these reading errors disappear after using the unit for 10 to 15 minutes (for example if i play a whole cd in repeat mode,when it starts for the second time most or all errors disappear).The other issue,that i noticed only few days ago is that the keys: play,pause and AMS forward and backward don't respond correctly:for example sometimes if i press play the player won't start,if i press ams forward the player go backward or do nothig,just like it can't recognize commands...Does anybody know how can i try to fix these problems?
Thanks

Tony

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the player uses small "tact" switches for all the front panel functions then these can cause problems generally. You can usually tell by the feel of them when they are faulty. If they stick closed then they hold the data lines of the system control uP and inhibit normal operation. Worth looking at and cheap to replace them all.

The other problem needs a scope check to determine the level and quality of the RF signal from the pickup.

If the player uses small "tact" switches for all the front panel functions then these can cause problems generally. You can usually tell by the feel of them when they are faulty. If they stick closed then they hold the data lines of the system control uP and inhibit normal operation. Worth looking at and cheap to replace them all.

The other problem needs a scope check to determine the level and quality of the RF signal from the pickup.

Thanks for reply Mooly,
switches are OK,problem is that the player seems to make random responses when i press any of them:stop instead of play,ams backward instead of forward...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would still look in that area. Maybe one or more has had liquid contamination in the past, or perhaps on the PCB... just guessing... but the last suspects would be any of the IC's. Any small signal diodes on the data lines such as 1N4148 type can go leaky.

I think my father will check those IC's on next weeks...We have a good laboratory here at home,he repairs lots of electronic devices most of them are pcb's of pinballs,jukeboxes and arcade machines from '70 to nowdays...About reading errors, he will try first to lubricate the moving parts of the cd transport before "touching" the pickup itself...
Thanks

Tony
p.s.sorry for my bad english,i'm italian...