Sony X5000 troubleshooting

Increasing the power on reset timing was not the solution to this problem. Hmm, have another thing I want to try and that is to give the power supply to the laser a separate voltage regulator with a deacent HF decoupling. Will advise in a while.

Last edited:
The fault is completely independent from that. It happens in the outer tracks as well as in the inner tracks. It is related to temperature, not progression of the CD.
Also relative speed to the laser head is the same from inner to outer tracks.

...reading errors occur only for the first or second track of the cd without warm up...if i play a track that is not near the center of the cd, even without warm up i get NO reading errors...:confused:

...reading errors occur only for the first or second track of the cd without warm up...if i play a track that is not near the center of the cd, even without warm up i get NO reading errors...
aahhhh this is really confusing!!!!!

Head up!
I also thought that the player was not skipping towards the end of a CD, but at least, mine does.
But it takes more time until I hear an almost inaudible click. Just take your time and check with earphones.
Of course, after warming up, this error also disappears.

BTW I did ask a question in the beginning of the thread nobody did answer yet:
Can we measure somehow, when interpolation (not error correction using redundancy) kicks in?

Last edited:
Managed to damage the flexible cable to the transport. Have a solution for repair. Coming back with info in a short while if I am successful.

Have searched the Internet for a replacement cable whithout success. They all say: No longer available. Does anybody in here have a source for this spare part. Several players are using the very same cable. Part nr: 1-653-918-11. May be it is sold under a different part number ?

Last edited:
@dacen
Try Impel electronic repair shop: cd lens, dvd lens, electronic spare parts, electronic elements, electronic components, integrated circuits, flexible cables, spare parts for car audio, flyback transformers, ic sockets, flexible cables for dvd, video hea if you haven´t contacted them yet.

@gmphadte. I did. But you behave a little bit like a doctor who treats any cure with aspirin.
But this is a starting point and when the patients starts to crawl, you still tell him to take three more pills :)

A nice book for studying:
Ken Clements "Understanding an Servicing CD-Players"
Newnes ISBN 0-7506-0934-6
It is a great and very helpful introduction with in depht explanations.
Sony, Toshiba, Philips transports are thoroughly explained. Sometimes no need for a service manual afters studying,
because standard IC´s and circuitry are thoroughly explained as well.

About lubricating the spindle motor: I once had milled a brass spacer with an additional bbronce bearing for my Nakamichi´s disc motor.
This solution was because the motor shaft of the replacement motor was too long. Instead of cutting the shaft, the brass spacer addded more stability.
The guy who normally mills bearings for record players told me about the special oil I mentioned and that bronce berings are -almost- self lubricating.
If it does not work any more, it is worn out.
And why should lubrication suddenly fail over 400rpm?
Also the outer side of a CD is more prone to reading errors than the center because of angular errors.

Last edited:
Have now modified the flex cable with connectors and all from an old portable player. I can now use an ordinary straight flex cable, but I had to divide it into two separate cables to get it to function again. It is playing !!! Coming back with info about what I have changed on the servo board. Crossing my fingers again.

@gmphadte. I did. But you behave a little bit like a doctor who treats any cure with aspirin.
But this is a starting point and when the patients starts to crawl, you still tell him to take three more pills

Are you il capo
I am sure your name is not il capo.

Get yorself some Diazepam.

If you take a look at the schematic you will see that the switches are connected to a voltage divider in conjunction with R206 for K4 input pin 42 on the microcontroller and R203 for K1 input pin 39 on the micro. These ports are I/O ports arranged as analog input.
The micro is reading the voltage and interprets these values in software and decides what function to activate. If there is a bad contact or corrosion in the switches you get exactly this kind of a problem. Change the switches is my best advice, all of them.

Attachments

• cxp84124.pdf
    30 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: