Sony X5000 troubleshooting - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2013, 07:20 AM   #41
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

There is no arc. The laser optics sit on a pole and are driven horizontally/vertically by coils for fine trackment and focus.
Old 9th February 2013, 01:18 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Hi,
i've just tried to let the player warm up without playing any disc for 15min,then tried to play one...well,no reading errors,definetely it is not a problem of the transport mechanism.
Old 9th February 2013, 02:00 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Dear il capo, good to hear, same with my CDP-X5000.

I still think, it is a manufacturing error from and we (who live in cold areas) have to find a workaround for it.

Maybe Dacen knows more, did you read his reply? (#25 in this thread)

Last edited by Salar; 9th February 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 9th February 2013, 06:41 PM   #44
dacen is offline dacen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Well here is what I have found today. There is a mismatch between the schematic and the servo board regarding the base of transistor Q601. This is a transistor that has to be brought well into a conducting state as it is the supply to the laser diode. Follow the signal from the collector of Q601 to pin 9 on connector CN210 at the bottom on the page. The other end is pin 4 on the laser side(LDVCC). For some reason the resistor JW600 going from the base to ground had the value 330 Ohm. The schematic says 10 Ohm. This is a small surface mounted resistor right underneath the board where the RST IC sits. I removed this resistor and replaced with an ordinary one with leads on the ends and the value 10 ohm as printed in the schematic. Well the startup problem is gone so far. Have to see as time goes by, but this could potentially also cause the skipping problem as well. We have to see ?
Old 9th February 2013, 07:32 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il capo View Post
Hi,
i've just tried to let the player warm up without playing any disc for 15min,then tried to play one...well,no reading errors,definetely it is not a problem of the transport mechanism.
At last! An unambiguous test
Old 9th February 2013, 07:40 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacen View Post
... Well the startup problem is gone so far. Have to see as time goes by, but this could potentially also cause the skipping problem as well. We have to see ?
Excellent. Is this the common problem? Mistake or last-minute ill-conceived solution to some other problem? Hopefully the former.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:05 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

This is what I ment to say:

Have to see as time goes by, but this could potentially also cure the skipping problem as well. We have to see ?
Old 10th February 2013, 07:41 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Great news dacen! Thanks a lot!. Because we have winter now, canīt you put the CDP-X5000 to a colder place, or not heat the room where it is, for one night. 10-15 degrees celsius ambient temperature is enough. I am very economical with heating my appartment, most of the time ambient temperature is about 15 degrees, which causes the X5000 to skip the first half hour.
In the summer,, it can max out to 40 degress: No skipping...

Last edited by Salar; 10th February 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10th February 2013, 08:21 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Just looked into the service manual: In the electrical parts list, page 46, Sony calls the resistors JW600 (2%) and JW601(5%) "Jumper Resistors" and defines them as "Metal Glaze" resistors. I thought, jumper resistors are generally 0 ohm...?
Old 10th February 2013, 01:18 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Yes Salar, this puzzeled me as well. I measured the resistance and they are just ordinary resistors. They could be "Metal Glaze" or whatever. May be somebody in here can enlighten us here. JW, I would normally translate to "Jumper Wire" but they are normally not specified with a tolerance to them.

Hide this!Advertise here!