Sony X5000 troubleshooting - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 08:02 PM   #21
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Your english is fine

Don't go mad with the oil and grease... try and find the problem first. If you suspect the sled is sticking then connect a DVM across the sled motor and watch the voltage in play mode. If it suddenly rises and the sled motor doesn't turn then the sled is sticking. Typical voltages are little more than a few 10's of millivolts as the motor shuffles the sled along. Its a good and definite test.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:23 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il capo View Post
Thanks for reply Mooly,
switches are OK,problem is that the player seems to make random responses when i press any of them:stop instead of play,ams backward instead of forward...
I had a Denon go like that and it was the switches. Years in a smoky room I think. Lots of IPA fixed it, but new switches would be better.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:36 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for technical information and suggestions.I will post results on next weeks.
Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 09:15 AM   #24
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

@Il capo.
Thanks a lot! Do you need the Service Manual? I can send you the Circuit schematics and transport mechanism disassembly.
Now it is three DIY-Audio members having exact the same problems with the CPD-X5000, jumpin playback when cold and unresposive. I guess strongly mine were from the very beginning (Bought it new in 1997 ) but it took a cold winter after 2 years to realize...
Old 4th February 2013, 02:07 PM   #25
dacen is offline dacen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Your problem with the lid switch Salar, made me look into the schematic again. Actually the signal from the lid switch goes directly to pin 45 IC201. The same lid switch signal also goes to the base of transistor Q601 just to shut down the power to the laser diode when lid is open. But the same signal is also taken from the same base of transistor Q601 and it runs trough two diodes and into IC 602 which is an ordinary 74HC04. This chip is distributing the Power On Reset coming from IC691 going into pin 1 of the 74HC04. So here we have some circuits that are common for my problem and yours Salar. I will take a shot at this again the coming week-end. As these signal are underneath the card I have to take the player apart and solder some wires to the places I want to connect the Scope probe to. There is a fault in the schematic regarding the POR chip (IC691) . Pin 4 going to electrolytic cap, C697, should go to ground. Pin 5 which is the POR output should go to where the C697 is connected. (Crossing my fingers to that we are on the right track)
Old 4th February 2013, 10:52 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hmm, this sounds very promising... Sorry, I can´t be much of a help,
I am not a technician
But I was wondering all the time, why the keyboard has a ground connection via wire, it could be connected directly to the upper chassis with a simple screw
(even though the aluminum oxide gives a bit of insulation)
And -I guess-4 circuits connected to one switch with long traces , shouldn´this -at least-catch noise...?

Overall, the CDP-X5000 does not seem to have the high-endish built-quality
it states:
The design mimics small high-end companies, with 10mm thick aluminium,
but segments of the display started to fade after a relatively short time of use , a gap on the bottom behind the front panel is prone of letting dust in, the mechanism runs on plastic and on one rail only, the other carrier is a simple toy-like wheel. This wouldn´t work in space at all
The fixed pickup mechanismis more like a hoax to attract hifi-vodooists.
I bought my X5000 because I could get it for a third of original price,of course because of the looks and because the CD-spindle motor is probbly more durable, made of ruby bearings, as far as I remember.

Last summer, I had a friend make aluminium keys and a aluminium puck to replace the plastic keys and brass puck.
Because of the lighter aluminium, i hope motor shaft will even have lesser wear.
But I did not not use puck an keys yet, because I haven not found a company to anodize them in Sony´s colour....
All the best,
Salar
Old 4th February 2013, 11:29 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
@Il capo.
Thanks a lot! Do you need the Service Manual? I can send you the Circuit schematics and transport mechanism disassembly.
Now it is three DIY-Audio members having exact the same problems with the CPD-X5000, jumpin playback when cold and unresposive. I guess strongly mine were from the very beginning (Bought it new in 1997 ) but it took a cold winter after 2 years to realize...
I already own the service manual,but thanks anyway...I want to be optimistic regarding the jumping playback;i don't think (hope) it is a problem of the laser pickup...if the laser pickup is faulty, reading errors will occur continuosly and for every tracks of the playing cd...as i told before,my unit is giving reading errors only for the first track of the playing cd,and disappear after 10 to 30 minutes of playback...then, if i go back to the first track i got no errors.Sounds like a problem in the transport,that after some use (movements forward and backward) it can moves smoothly.
Old 4th February 2013, 11:58 PM   #28
dacen is offline dacen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Service manual SONY CDP-X5000. http://bildarkiv.hififorum.nu/kasra/...5000manual.pdf
Old 5th February 2013, 09:16 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

@ il capo
I think, think the whole jumping problem is related to the keyboard circuitry especially the reset done by the lid switch. Why : because the skippin problem exists for years and is repeateable. I would check motor power during playback as Mooly proposed
Old 5th February 2013, 05:23 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
@ il capo
I think, think the whole jumping problem is related to the keyboard circuitry especially the reset done by the lid switch. Why : because the skippin problem exists for years and is repeateable. I would check motor power during playback as Mooly proposed
well,honestly i can't really find any connection between reading errors and keyboard circuitry and/or reset done by the switch lid...

Hide this!Advertise here!