Sony X5000 troubleshooting - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2013, 07:03 AM   #201
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Invisible Force,
danke fr die Aufmunterung. But Ido not think, that dried out caps are the
problem. In 16 years, the Sony was switched on maybe one tenth of the time,
because the main player is a Nakamichi.
Old 27th April 2013, 08:51 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

Hello Salar,
shelf time of elektrolytic caps is limited, even when simply stored 10 years in a box..I still assume a fault in the VFD PSU of your player, because symptoms are the same as mine was suffering from...have fun, Philipp
Old 27th April 2013, 12:20 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Thanks, bur the problem probably existed from the day of purchase , summer 1997.
But I bought capacitors today!
I did not only buy original values, but also bought double values (47 for 22, 220 for 100 etc all 63V)
I guess there is no problem using the doubled values right from the beginning?
All trhe best,
Salar
Old 28th April 2013, 09:40 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Wow! I was very close to write "Solved", when the X5000 started clicking. After 8 Minutes and after being cooled down to 5 degrees celsius.
Strange, isnt it? Lets assume I choose to live at the North Pole, I would callt this is not satisfying.

What happened so far:
I hastily bought replacment caps on Saturday, entered the shop literally 10 seconds before it closed for the weekend. But later I saw that all caps in the VFDs power supply are Audio Grades, so I chhose the replacement caps from leftovers:
C971 is now 1000F/63V (470F/63V before)
C972 is now 47F/63V (22F/63V before)
C973 is now 470F/63V (47F/63V before)
C974 is now 220F/50V (100F/25V before)

As you can see, original C971 replaced C973, C973 replaced C972.

But neverheless an improvement. Clicking has gone after half an hour and the enclosure still feels a little bit cold to the touch.
But strange it played about 8 Min. without clicking directly after being switched on.
I did not measure ripple yet. I am not very experienced with scopes.
Where sould i place the probe and what values should I choose on the scope?

Thanks a lot so far,
Salar

Last edited by Salar; 28th April 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 28th April 2013, 10:40 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Where you put the probe and its ground lead depends on what you want to measure, and with respect to what ground. I guess ripple is generally measured with respect to the local associated ground, so you might measure ripple at a particular chip between its supply pin and its ground pin, for example. Something like 10ms per division. If set to an appropriate DC amplitude you can get a rough idea of the significance of ripple. To measure it accurately, set for AC high amplitude per division, and reduce until the waveform is measurable. Check calibration of scope.

Alternatively, use a voltmeter on an AC setting. A true-rms voltmeter is best.

I'm trying to get into the habit of using a scope for all measurements, so I get a better idea of what kind of ripple and noise is normal.

Keep in mind when using much larger caps that the circuit must be able to cope with the extra inrush current at power-up. If it starts blowing fuses, you may have to reconsider.

Perhaps we should warn polar folk, and suggest an alternative CD player? What would be best, I wonder? If they dance to keep warm, their lives may depend on it. Like us, they've probably forgotten how to sing.
Old 29th April 2013, 07:15 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Perhaps we should warn polar folk, and suggest an alternative CD player? What would be best, I wonder? If they dance to keep warm, their lives may depend on it. Like us, they've probably forgotten how to sing.
Perhaps with: "Any cheapo will work better"
Old 18th May 2013, 06:49 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
Wow! I was very close to write "Solved", when the X5000 started clicking. After 8 Minutes and after being cooled down to 5 degrees celsius.
Strange, isnt it? Lets assume I choose to live at the North Pole, I would callt this is not satisfying.

What happened so far:
I hastily bought replacment caps on Saturday, entered the shop literally 10 seconds before it closed for the weekend. But later I saw that all caps in the VFDs power supply are Audio Grades, so I chhose the replacement caps from leftovers:
C971 is now 1000F/63V (470F/63V before)
C972 is now 47F/63V (22F/63V before)
C973 is now 470F/63V (47F/63V before)
C974 is now 220F/50V (100F/25V before)

As you can see, original C971 replaced C973, C973 replaced C972.

But neverheless an improvement. Clicking has gone after half an hour and the enclosure still feels a little bit cold to the touch.
But strange it played about 8 Min. without clicking directly after being switched on.
I did not measure ripple yet. I am not very experienced with scopes.
Where sould i place the probe and what values should I choose on the scope?

Thanks a lot so far,
Salar
Hey Salar,you solved it!there is no need to test the player at 5 C!If it works fine at around 15c you solved the problem!!!!!I don't think that someone needs a player that is able to work fine at 5c,or at least not me...don't you think?
Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:05 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

Hello il Capo!
Solved what?
All my other players, Toshiba XR-Z70 from 1984, Sony-based Nakamichi OMS-5EII from 1986, Sony DVP-S715 from 1997, Sony D-J50 from 1994, they all work fine under the same conditions! Same with CD-DVD burner. Remember Sony took about 2000$ for the X5000 from customers back in 1996 ... so i should expect some quality
Also it was 5 degrees when switching on - when the clicking started, the X5000 had heated up to around 15 degrees again.
But nevertheless, testing will proceed next winter...

Last edited by Salar; 18th May 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 19th May 2013, 03:16 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
Also it was 5 degrees when switching on - when the clicking started, the X5000 had heated up to around 15 degrees again...
oh,i see
Old 27th November 2013, 02:24 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Hi,
i purchased another X5000 in Germany last week and arrived few minutes ago...Well,i put it in the same room of my other X5000,turned on,loaded a disc and......It doesn't have reading/clicking problems...So i can say not all units have this problem when cold.Unfortunately it has problems regarding keys (random responses when pressed) so i believe that this is a problem of almost all units.
Regards

Last edited by il capo; 27th November 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!