CD94 Transport And DAC $8K? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CD94 Transport And DAC $8K?

CD94 transport and DAC for $8000USD? Alittle optimistic or am I wrong?

MARANTZ CD-94 - CDA-94 REFERENCE TRANSPORT DA CONVERTER - eBay (item 220551759041 end time Apr-05-10 22:28:42 PDT)

Regards,
Dan
Old 20th March 2010, 03:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Both are reference machines with natural, outstanding sound.

I modified two CD94 MKII CD players. The second machine I modified still serves as a reference CD playing machine irrelevant of price. I posted a lot of photos on this site, before and after (and the final cutomer’s comment AFTER the mods) - search for CD94 MKII and Extreme_Boky.

The items on e-bay are collectors’ items and can be modified to give reference sound. However, I know for sure that (also obsolete) Audiomeca Memphisto transport and good quality DIY DAC will give (much) better results for less; probably around $4000, which is absolute maximum anyone should pay for reference CD sound. However, some modifications are required so the end-cost should not be more than $6000. I also modified two of these transports (Memphistos) – unbelievable bliss.

Knowledgeable DIY-er can have ultimate sound for around $4000 - $6000.

I bet there’ll be collectors waiting for the opportunity to get the combo listed on e-bay. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone is ready to spend 8 grand…

Boky
Old 20th March 2010, 03:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I wonder what you can get out of $8k in Wadia, Meridian, or Accuphase gear?

Regards,
Dan
Old 20th March 2010, 04:52 AM   #4
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Old CD player prices are going up - at least the asking price is!

PHILIPS CD100 1st CD PLAYER + ORIGINAL FOLDER & EXTRAS - eBay (item 190380884834 end time Mar-25-10 03:36:28 PDT)

Andy

Old 20th March 2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantwomey View Post
I wonder what you can get out of $8k in Wadia, Meridian, or Accuphase gear?
Well, if you buy these brand new and you compare to the old Marantz Stuff without a full overhaul, you will conclude the new stuff is better, but not hugely so.

If on the other hand you give the Marantz a full overhaul with modest "parts & Op-Amp swapping" upgrades as you replace them anyway you will find yourself surprised. Only Wadia stands the least chance to get a look in, strictly on sound quality.

Ciao T

PS, I have overhauled and modified a lot of Marantz and Philips units, the ultimate is a full rebuild on either Marantz CD/DA-12 or Philips LHH-1000!

You might also find this little article of mine of interest:

Modifying A Marantz CD-80 CD \Player A blow by blow account of taking a venerable CD player and giving it a new lease of life. Article By Thorsten Loesch
Old 20th March 2010, 01:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Well, if you buy these brand new and you compare to the old Marantz Stuff without a full overhaul, you will conclude the new stuff is better, but not hugely so.

If on the other hand you give the Marantz a full overhaul with modest "parts & Op-Amp swapping" upgrades as you replace them anyway you will find yourself surprised. Only Wadia stands the least chance to get a look in, strictly on sound quality.

Ciao T

PS, I have overhauled and modified a lot of Marantz and Philips units, the ultimate is a full rebuild on either Marantz CD/DA-12 or Philips LHH-1000!

You might also find this little article of mine of interest:

Modifying A Marantz CD-80 CD \Player A blow by blow account of taking a venerable CD player and giving it a new lease of life. Article By Thorsten Loesch
Very interesting article. This is something I'd like to try somewhere down the road if I could find a suitable player. There is a CD-94 on ebay right now but I think I'd rather wait for a MKII.

Regards,
Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!