Crazy CD player problem - completely muted - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crazy CD player problem - completely muted

I have just received my Audio Aero Capitole mk2 after a Signature Edition upgrade and a transport change by Audio Aero factory in france. The player is 7 yrs old, but never had any major problems.

It now has a big problem which I am unable to solve. It remains muted. On very rare occasion, the sound comes back after re-powering up and once it starts play, it continues to play flawlessly for weeks until I stop it. The moment it is stopped, it mutes itself and is extremely difficult to get it to play again.

I disassembled the transport, reseated all the internal cables, changed /tried different software chips, but everything works fine except the muting problem. Currently it has a 5.6 chip.

The disc spins, the player recognises the cd tracks, displays the track and time (of the playing disc), volume control works, etc.. but no sound.

When fed with an external transport through a digital input, the muting problem very much remains.

I just can't get it to play!! Checked the Integrated circuits, they all seem fine: no cracks at all etc. The two output miniature tubes glow and power is passing through nicely.

I am presently in a dispute with Audio Aero over this very problem and the player is not going back to the factory. Where I live, there is no Audio Aero dealers, but I do have a qualified electronics engineer/technician who services pioneer and technics CD players.

My amp works fine with a different source. My interconnects are not faulty.

Would really appreciate any idea on what could be wrong and how to go about getting it to play. It's crazy.
Many thanks.
lall
Old 19th March 2010, 05:08 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Does this use a muting relay or transistors/fets for muting? Sounds like the mute/unmute signal is not getting from the controller to the relay. (or other muting device) Could be a short, cold solder joint or failed component. (Hopefully not the port on the controller IC)
Old 19th March 2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

It needs a few quick checks with a 'scope and DVM to at least narrow things down.
If the muting is not behaving it should still be possible to pick up audio from the DAC onwards.
While it could be anything, it's probably something simple, but you still have to do basic tests and measurements.
If it uses opamps somewhere in the chain can you "buzz" the inputs to them etc and get a response then.
Old 20th March 2010, 03:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

if you can't trace the problem back from the relay(s), you could just remove the relay(s)...

Boky
Old 22nd March 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Just had a mad thought on this... you say it's been modded ? The PSU ?
Could it be a problem with the rise time/sequencing of the rails at start up ? Any oversize caps been fitted etc.

Just a thought.
Old 22nd March 2010, 07:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Transport change you say?

New spindle motor? Is it definately spinning up to speed, a player can read the TOC and appear to play, but, if not quite up to the 200-500rpm the decoding electronics will struggle and the muting circuit will stay on.

Some new Sonys i have noticed have had intermittent spindle motors.

Whose mech is in your player?

Percy.
Old 19th August 2011, 03:00 PM   #7
bmw1628 is offline bmw1628  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Help Needed - Same Problem Audio Aero

Hi there,

I am having the same problem on my AA Capitole MKII. Every other day, the player is completely muted while the disk is spinning and playing. If I powered it down a couple of times then the player works again.

Would you mind sharing with me how you fix the problem you had with your AA Capitole last year? I really appreciate your time and help!

Tom
Old 5th January 2012, 03:04 PM   #8
stu.dio is offline stu.dio  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi all and happy 2012.
I too have similar issues but with my older AA Capitole 32bit/192 mk1. I get it back up and running by turning it off for a while or sometimes by switching back and forth from cd to digital source. I must admit to upgrading some caps in the output stages (2 x V caps from the valve/dac board to output board) and one BlackGate power stage. It worked flawlessly for ages then started playing up. When it decides to work it's truly amazing but lately it's getting more and more touchy - also a hum has sneaked in the past months, haven't been able to pin point where from, as sometimes it's affected by the volume control (gets louder with higher volumes) and sometimes not (remains at a fixed audible level).... did you manage to rectify the problem? pls any thoughts on this would be great.
kind regards
Stuart
Old 5th January 2012, 04:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I don't know the player specifically, but my first guess would be a bad digital signal processor chip, if the two of you are having the same fault as the OP, i.e., no sound even using the digital output.
However, from your comments, it sounds like it could simply be a power supply issue, either bad soldering somewhere(good chance) or a regulator chip or transistor going flakey, or one or more slowly dying electrolytic caps(especially regards to the hum issue).
I'd advise that you open up the player, wait for it to show the problem, then start gently wiggling individual components, working you way up to wiggling/flexing/tapping circuit boards, until the fault goes away. If it does not go away this way, then feel for capacitors that are getting hot on their own, without a nearby component heating them, as well, of course, as any with bulging tops or signs of chemcal leakage underneath.
Old 5th January 2012, 05:03 PM   #10
stu.dio is offline stu.dio  Greece
diyAudio Member

Thanks for getting back so quick - have just finished going around checking for loose caps_ wiring, have still the output stage to go BUT I did find a loose cd/digital input selector wire, and I re-soldered a few dodgy looking joints on a few caps. Good thing is I have CD sound back albeit with a slight hum still. I have also picked up a novel noise when I use the remote volume - sounds like a ground bug somewhere - SO all looking promising - thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
best
Stuart

Hide this!Advertise here!