CEC TL51X CD Transport

hi Eric,

You have checked the waveshape,and you confirmed your CEC is pretty good.
When I checked my CEC TL51 (old model) sereral years ago i was really disappointed by this highly regarded but over estimated player.
The waveshape was really misserable, and because of that no bass slam.
Back then I've moded the CEC rightaway and I am happy now for several years.

regards,
Piersma

Eric,

I did find some drawings, maybe this is helpfull.

regards,
Piersma

Attachments

• cec51_drawing_1.gif
    cec51_drawing_1.gif
    194.4 KB · Views: 1,798
  • cec51_drawing_2.gif
    cec51_drawing_2.gif
    188.9 KB · Views: 1,648
  • cec51_drawing_3.gif
    cec51_drawing_3.gif
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,628
Hi Piersma,
My CEC appears to be different to yours in the Output area.(could be elsewhere too)
If you see ALP's entry on the "I need help to connect mY TL51X" forum.He includes a thumbnail diag of the o/p cct.
My machine is like that-no pulse transformer output,just a complicated flip flop ic setup.
Regards
radar

Mods

Hi Eric,

Mods i have implemented: changed voltage regulators for LM317/337, SPDIF reclock unit, upgraded caps on the mainboard, low jitter clock, power line filter. The reclocking is the (ut)most importent mod, a direct output from the Yamaha YM7121 would do the same.

best regards,
Piersma

Bought a Nth hand CEC TL51X transport weeks ago, the only reason is just for the peculiar spindle mechanism CEC developed.
I own a SONY CDP-XA5ES fixed pickup player, and loved the way the tray extract and retract~

The first impression with CEC is the puck is SOOO heavy~ and the CD rev so smooth~

But the inside of this player, sadly, is way too far from SONY ES quality. I could only say that CEC cost down strategy is winning.

Yesterday I did replaced, almost, all the SMD electrolyte CAPs with Polymer CAPs (820uF 25V), there are 2 images you may clearly notice the difference.

Well, next step, just like Piersma did, I will upgrade the internal clock, PSU and etc.. by the way there are plenty of space inside the player.

Attachments

• CEC__17432709.jpg
    CEC__17432709.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 262
  • CEC__17432707.jpg
    CEC__17432707.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 268
made a mistake with CAP replacement. Should not have touched the CAP C101 related to APC (Automatic Power Control) circuit.

The player failed to read, the pickup jumped like crazy, and the spindle motor rotated in reverse direction in high speed.

Yet, I found with lower value the reading works better. (47uF instead of original 100uF).

Is there any feedback from other users on this topic?
I checked with other CD players, I saw this CAP value range from 22uF to 100uF, not more than 100uF. Is there any limitation for this CAP? some CD players are even without this CAP.

*Thanks Priesma, by the way I got the correct service manual from Elektrotanya~

Attachments

• CEC-TL51_1.jpg
    CEC-TL51_1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 236
yesterday i replaced the belt, which was wobbling and sometimes fail to read CDs, with a new one. Well, after replacement the reading was back to normal.

however it still skipped once a while and i decided to check the eye-pattern with the oscilloscope.

the service manual download from elektrotanya doesn't contain information on adjustment, so i started to source other CD player using the same LSI chip NEC UPD63711 with proper service manual and i found SONY CDX-L300, it's car CD player but with the eye-pattern and other graphs i need.

Attached here with the eye-pattern read from HFO test point. the amplitude seemed fine (>1.2V pk-pk), but not clear:(.

Any suggestion? laser deteriorate? cabling issue? adjust pick-up VR?
thanks.

by the way, i have lubbed the whole mechanism with silicon oil, including spindle shaft and spindle motor shaft paying attention not to pollute the pulley area.

Attachments

• cec belt.jpg
    cec belt.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG-1425.jpg
    IMG-1425.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 215