KSS-210A (= KSS-150A Successor) and KSS-212A - what is the main difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I still need datasheets of all SONY KSS laserheads like that one of the KSS-213C:
MODEL:KSM-213QCS PAGE: 2 (KSM-213QCS)
MODEL:KSM-213CDM PAGE:1 (KSM-213-CDM)
but I don't get replies about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...k-about-sonys-kss-optical-pick-up-series.html

Regarded the KSS212A some suppliers claim, it is inchangeable with KSS210A and KSS150A.
But where is the difference?
Maybe different compliance of the lens suspension (for other tracking behavior)?
Or different laser diode power?

Nobody knows anymore. The 212As probably aren't 212As anyway. I notice that some have exposed tracking pole pieces, and others not. Perhaps if you examine the servo circuits of Sony players using these mechs? Or even buy a few CDPs and swap the mechs around...cheap as chips.
Good idea. But the problem is for me, that I don't know CDP models, where KSS-212A is in use (only such with Kss150 and KSS210). Otherwise I would have already found out the differences.

O.K., I see the 212 wasn't very commonly used. The usual database shows Audio Note CDT-0 listed as 212A, and Aiwa XC950 and NAD 514 listed as 212A/210A. Some Sony machines such as the CDPM75 are listed 150A/210A. When did Aiwa become a division of Sony I wonder?

Maybe those none-Sony machines use the same chipset and circuit as Sony does on its 210A and 150A machines? There's a circuit diagram for the NAD here:

NAD 514 | Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | HiFi Engine

but it doesn't identify the chips. However, the CDPM75 circuit looks very similar so perhaps a meaningful comparison can be made. The adjustment pots and associated circuits aren't quite the same, so it'll take some analysis to work out if they are functionally equivalent.

Perhaps you could buy a new mech purporting to be a 212A, and try it in a 150A player?

good advice - I will contact NAD concerning datasheets from SONY.
From a technican I have heard today, that the KSS-212A was in use by single cd player extremely rare (like the mentioned NAD and Audio Note model CDT ZERO.
This pickup model is mostly in use in ghetto blasters and hifi systems like this one:
NordMende MS 5000 CD (MS5000CD)
Service Manual Nordmende MS 5000 CD HiFi Systemoriginal | eBay
so as in several Kenwood cd changers like this models:
DPR6070, DPR5070, DPR3070, DPR895, DPR49, DPR896, T25-0044-08

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.