Oppo BDP 83, and Tube amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am ordering an Oppo 83, I have tried the Oppo 80, and like it very much, but want the 83 for better dvd playback and the dedicated stereo outs. I use vintage amps for listening to music. I tried the 80 with out a preamp using its digital volume control, and it worked. Oppo suggests you leave the volume at full on, and control the volume with a receiver which I do when watching movies, and can do with tubes for music. It is said the digital volume control on the players "compresses" the signal. Is it worth haveing a preamp or volume pot, I am interested in others experience. In the past I have never used a volume pot as a stand alone, but could put one together with a little helpful advice. Thanks ron PS this is my first post.

That is consistant advice

I can say through experience that you will be better off if you leave the digital volume at max and control through a volume pot.
I have not used a "standalone" pot, rather always the volume on the preamp/int amp.

Do you not use a preamp w/ your tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.