Oppo BDP 83, and Tube amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
ronton3 is offline ronton3  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Oppo BDP 83, and Tube amps

I am ordering an Oppo 83, I have tried the Oppo 80, and like it very much, but want the 83 for better dvd playback and the dedicated stereo outs. I use vintage amps for listening to music. I tried the 80 with out a preamp using its digital volume control, and it worked. Oppo suggests you leave the volume at full on, and control the volume with a receiver which I do when watching movies, and can do with tubes for music. It is said the digital volume control on the players "compresses" the signal. Is it worth haveing a preamp or volume pot, I am interested in others experience. In the past I have never used a volume pot as a stand alone, but could put one together with a little helpful advice. Thanks ron PS this is my first post.
Old 8th March 2010, 05:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default That is consistant advice

I can say through experience that you will be better off if you leave the digital volume at max and control through a volume pot.
I have not used a "standalone" pot, rather always the volume on the preamp/int amp.

Do you not use a preamp w/ your tube amp?
Old 8th March 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
ronton3 is offline ronton3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default re

Thanks for responding, I will not use the 83 for volume control.

Hide this!Advertise here!