Do you have a Gigawork DAC? Is this a mistake?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered a gigawork DAC on ebay and it showed up two days ago but something does not look right. I sent an email to the seller but have not yet heard back. If anyone has this DAC can you tell me if this is the same on yours?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It does work but I am leaving it off just in case this is a problem. I can do the fix no prob but I figured there is a chance this was intentional. Any help is appreciated.

It's okay to run your board. They are changing the recovered master clock frequency from 256*Fs to 128*Fs. I'm not sure what freq. is coming into your CS8416. Do you have a CS8421 chip or CS4397, there's a lot of options for the DAC board.

----------------------------------
The schematic I have for LM-DAC3 V5 has several errors. It shows CS8416 pulldowns on pins 15, 17, 18 and pullups on pins 16, 19 to give:

schematic
pins
15 =0 SFSEL1=0
16 =1 Emphasis Audio Match ON
17 =0 Serial Port Slave Mode
18 =0 RMCK Freq=256*Fs
19= 1 SFSEL1=1

From your picture, that resistor is from pin 18 on the CS8416. It is jumpered to the other side (+3.3V) of the resistor on pin 19, instead of ground to give:

pins
15 =0 SFSEL1=0
16 =0 Emphasis Audio Match OFF
17 =1 Serial Port Master Mode
18 =1 RMCK Freq=128*Fs
19= 1 SFSEL1=1

This looks clearly like an intentional 'kludge', either due to a mistake found in the circuit board design, post-production change to that design, or possibly due to a trace damaged during assembly. Clearly not erroneous & nothing to worry about.

You obviously have never seen the inside of Sony Broadcast equipment. That board is a work of art compared to the Sony stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.