CD100 not playing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
Bought a CD100 today, outside is very nice only a minor scratch. But it refuses to play a CD.

When there is no CD placed, the motor does not spin. With a CD placed it does spin. So it does "see" the CD and i can see it is trying to focus, but it's not able to read it I guess.
When it tries to find the disc, the laser vibrates very fast in radial direction (amplitude of about 2mm). This takes about 2 seconds, then the laser swings to the outside of the disc with a lot of speed hitting the end of it's path (you can hear a "tock" when it hits the end) and the player stops.
The laser is engaded the whole time.

Is this vibrating normal for this player? My CD104 does not have this kind of behaviour.

I started resoldering al of the largest components. E.g. caps in the power supply, all of the transistors which are connected to the heatsink etc. This did not make any difference.
Also, letting it warm up for an hour does not change anything.
I know there are no "griplets" (replaced all of them in the CD104), but maybe there are some other things I need to check?

How can I check the power supply? Can anybody send me a service manual for fault finding?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I did. It wasn't too dirty to begin with.
Also tried different CD's. Old, new, CD-R etc.

Today I removed all of the radial caps. Tomorrow I'll get new ones, hopefully this will help. I did measure the old ones, capacitance of the 5 bigger ones in the PSU looked ok, all of the little blue ones measured low.
I'm also going to reseat the IC's.

Can you say this vibrating is normal or not?

It's those little silver axial capacitors on the servo board - the 1% ones.

Although they are 1%, its overkill, the value is not THAT important.

Attachments

• badcap.JPG
    badcap.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 129
While not having any idea what "Suflex" or "Call for Hunts" means, the CD100 is playing its tunes again! It's alive!! :)

Here's the story (hopefully I can help someone else with this text):

I changed all 18 radial caps (3 on DAC board, 15 on main board). This fixed the problem of reading TOC. It easily (but slowly LOL) skipped to next track etc. Problem fixed?
So, hooked it up and... no music. Only a faint noise. So resoldered the reed relais and all suspicious things around them.
The noise muted when pressing pause or skipping to next track, so the mute system must have been allright then? Sometimes I could here the music very softly "behind" the noise.

After a while, I noted the player would just stop after a while, or start spinning full throttle. I discovered while moving the DAC board there was a loose connection which caused this.
This loose connection was one of the wires between the main board and the DAC board (nr. C202). So I resoldered this one (dry joint on main board).
The stopping and spinning went away, and the music came back!

Just to be sure, I resoldered all wires. This also fixed the flashing display. Job done! (for now.. fingers crossed)

I really love this player. It's beautiful I think, and I really like the slow-to-next-track feature :)
Also, I think the sound is better than my CD104. I did not do a direct comparising yet, but I think my CD104 could use some new caps too. Should they sound the same?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.