Extracting high resolution LPCM from HDMI1.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have recently accuired this

Atlona HDMI (1.3) Audio De-Embedder :: HDMI Converters :: Audio Video Converters :: Atlona...

hoping to get LPCM digital output. But unfortunately, the description is wrong and all I am getting is analog output. I have search the internet and found that it is not legally possible for manufacture to allow output LPCM directly.

Now, this device most be in some way extracting the LPCM signal out of HDMI 1.3 and then convert it to analog signal via DAC. Is there any way for me to tap the LPCM signal directly before the DAC? There is s chip with name 344c 0934 but I cannot identify if it is a DAC.

Anyone can help?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
ackcheng,

If you are lurking around here somewhere I'd like to know whether you did try to pick off the LPCM signal before the DAC's.

I have the same problem as yours (I want a LPCM digital feed) and was going to buy one of these units until I found out that it has internal DACs and provdes analogue outputs.

Have you opened it up to see whether you could re-engineer it?

Thanks

What are you expecting that device to do is not what it does.
It takes a HDMI embedded LPCM audio (that is not encoded in any other format, just plain PCM) and it sends it out on digital out and analog.
The other encodings are just bitstreamed - that means passed trough further.

There is no decoding done in the device, and that is legal.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Sonic.

I'm going to have to get better educated I think.

What I need is LPCM audio on digital outs (coax). I don't need the device to do any more than de-embed.

I have a HTPC at the front end and my outboard processing uses two of these....

BSS Audiosw9088iis

The Soundweb can take digital feeds (AES/EBU) as well as analogue but my input cards are digital.

The usual HDMI cips won't put out more than one SPDIF out (so no multichannel), and that is crippled to a max 48kHz sampling rate.
The only way to do what you want is buying a digital receiver that decodes HDMI audio (uses a dedicated DSP with proper firmware) and tap the I2S signals before the DAC portion. There are still physically separated cips.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I should have got hold of you first...before starting down this path:)

Okay, so can I get what I want by doing as you suggest and tapping into a bluray player instead? Or a PVR? And use one of these for a front end instead of my HTPC?

I'd rather go that route than a digital receiver if I can.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks SandyK,

From my understanding I believe that SPDIF doesn't have the bandwidth to support HD audio (Dolby trueHD or dts master). And I think that's what you meant by SPDIF limitations.

The best you'll get from optical (toslink) is ADAT which can do 8 channels of 24/48. Or you can Smux ADAT and get 4 channels of 24/96.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.