PD-9300 Laser pickup (PD-71)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I have just got hold of a Pioneer PD-9300 CD player, it's very impressive in all but it's sound quality because of (I strongly suspect) a failing pick up assembly.
It will read some discs and not others. I have cleaned the lens, but no effect.
There is a possibility that the tracking could be out though.

The pick up is PWY1006 and I would like to know where I could get one, or possibly an alternative. It would be a great shame to have to relegate this player to storage container B1N!:(

Pointyeers - most illogical, Captain

Hello Fastulike - can't really help you but to point you in the usual directions. You might look on Donberg.ie - they sell pioneer mechanisms. The real bad news about Pioneers in my (albeit limited) experience is that they are tricky little SOB's to swap out :(, unlike Philips, Marantz and many others. They seem to require a Pioneer service disk to adjust / optimise the lasers and an oscilloscope to undertake this. I also recently bought one where the lens fell out the laser mechanism - some say you can glue them back - but YMMV - avoid superglue! ;)

Pioneer

Hello Fastulike - can't really help you but to point you in the usual directions. You might look on Donberg.ie - they sell pioneer mechanisms. The real bad news about Pioneers in my (albeit limited) experience is that they are tricky little SOB's to swap out :(, unlike Philips, Marantz and many others. They seem to require a Pioneer service disk to adjust / optimise the lasers and an oscilloscope to undertake this. I also recently bought one where the lens fell out the laser mechanism - some say you can glue them back - but YMMV - avoid superglue! ;)

I Agree with you on replacing the pickup laser from a pioneer.
I've replaced a few and it's a real pain in the ***. But not impossible.

I'll try to find out for you what the price is for such a laser unit and will report in a few days.

All the best,

Audiofanatic ;)

Pioneer Optical Pick-Up units need mechanically aligning as well as electrically aligning.

They have a 'Grating' alignment to adjust the prism and then one, maybe two 'Tangential' alignments to get the laser 'true' with the disc.

If you haven't got a Service Manual, a dual trace oscilloscope, a steady hand and the patience of a Saint then i'd leave it to an Authorised Pioneer Service Centre. It will cost you though!

Well worth getting repaired, a very nice machine, Pioneers of this vintage have the 'squarest' Digital outs i have seen on players, making, IMHO, for a very sweet sound when used as a Transport.

I have just got hold of a Pioneer PD-9300 CD player, it's very impressive in all but it's sound quality because of (I strongly suspect) a failing pick up assembly.
It will read some discs and not others. I have cleaned the lens, but no effect.
There is a possibility that the tracking could be out though.

The pick up is PWY1006 and I would like to know where I could get one, or possibly an alternative. It would be a great shame to have to relegate this player to storage container B1N!:(

This laser unit you will find there:
Gerner Electronics

But please note: it is extremely unlikely in case of Pioneer compact disc players, that the optical pickup is error-causing (in opposite to the SONY pickup's from the KSS-series - here in most cases the pickup is faulty).

..................But please note: it is extremely unlikely in case of Pioneer compact disc players, that the optical pickup is error-causing........................

tiefbassuebertr is right, do replace the spindle motor also, while you're 'in there'. However these rarely fail on thier higher end units too. Slightly better motors in the better players.

Having said that, with the fault you are describing it does sound like the laser/sp motor are having trouble on certain discs. They are 'proper' CD's that are not playing aren't they? If recordable ones, then i would look to the 'burner' first.

Percy

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Thanks for all the help chaps. I have it working now, but I need to change the spindle motor at some time, as it is making a ticking sound when the disc is spinning, as if the disc is wobbling.
It has also developed a distortion fault in the right channel since coming back from a service, so I think that they have disturbed something in the analogue signal path. There is no distortion when using the optical out and I have not tried the co-ax digital out yet.

Hi.
I recently listed a seperate post regarding a PD-9300. I have had no luck with suggestions, so I thought I would ask on your post to see if you could give me any ideas.

Ic22 and 23 (N10's) blow when I insert the laser ribbon cable into the board.
I completely disconnected all the leads and tried inserting it by itself, everything was ok. The next cable I inserted was for the spindle motor, and the ic's blew.
I have tried to trace all over the board to find a commom link between the two, but have got nothing.

I really would just like to ask, the motor reads 20 ohms roughly, is this right?

When disconnected, should the the tracking servo leads read virtually short (I have no idea what the resistance is supposed to be).

And lastly, on the ribbon cable aside from a variable resistor, there are two tiny connections which look like something should be fixed across them, is there something missing which could cause the fault.

I have been at this thing for over a week now, and being just a novice, I am really at the limit of my knowledge.

I really would appreciate any help.

Simon.

................................I really would just like to ask, the motor reads 20 ohms roughly, is this right?

Yes, this seems about right, so long as, while you're measuring it, give a turn or two and watch the meter, if it goes lower, change it. I would actually change it anyway if you never have done. The Platter height is critical, don't forget to measure it before removing the Platter.

..............When disconnected, should the tracking servo leads read virtually short

I would think one of the windings would read low Ohms as one will be the drive and the other will be the feedback, this one reading a little higher. There is no spec'n in the Manual.

....................And lastly, on the ribbon cable aside from a variable resistor, there are two tiny connections which look like something should be fixed across them, is there something missing which could cause the fault...................

This is the 'Shorting Link' which should be soldered short when the laser is out of the socket to prevent damage from Static Electricity.............from you!!

Apart from that, it sounds like you have a major problem with the supplies and/or whatever they ...........supply!! What voltages are on the ICP's that blow? Are they the +/-12V?
As far as i know you've only got a maximum supply of +5V going up to the laser via the ribbon, there may be more on the sled drive coil windings, but this will be an output from a drive chip which may be supplied by the supplies which the ICP's are protecting?

Many thank's for helping.

T
Is the spindle motor brushed (e. g. commonly Mabuchi 5V) or brushless (i. e. hall motor, custom made)?

The motor has markings Mdn - 4RA2MYBS and is dated 06 DEC 88 AB.
As far as I can tell it is just a simple off the shelf type.

I did another check on the resistance and it fluctuates when turned up to the hunderds one way, and to minus the hundreds the other. At stasndstill it settled at 18 ohms. It has a capacitor across it reading 103Z, but this has tested ok.

This is the 'Shorting Link' which should be soldered short when the laser is out of the socket to prevent damage from Static Electricity.............from you!!

Thank's for the info on that bit, I thought it may have been something missing, and that it was the cause of my problems. It's never that simple...

What voltages are on the ICP's that blow? Are they the +/-12V?
As far as i know you've only got a maximum supply of +5V going up to the laser via the ribbon, there may be more on the sled drive coil windings, but this will be an output from a drive chip which may be supplied by the supplies which the ICP's are protecting?

I actually have the service manual, and as far as I can tell, all the voltages are all correct when the laser ribbon is disconnected. All the voltages are correct 11.6 on the ICP's and most of the main board is running at 4.5 -5v, in fact, and thats whats stumping me.
It seems to me that something is pulling current when both the laser ribbon and the motor cable are connected at the same time, and this is what blows the ICP's, but as I was not sure if they would be classed as "short", I was a bit stuck.

I will now change the motor and see if it makes any difference.

Many thank's again.

Hi Again.
I've done some more checks and here's some more info.

The player has been reassembled except for the desoldering of the link next to R136, this is the link to the tracking coil.

Everything works, but as it cannot track, it will not read discs, but this is just for purposes.

Anyway, the link measures just over 9v with 9.12ma (.9A?).

I then had an idea to stick a resistor across it (22ohm 1/2 watt), it fired up ok, but no reading of the disc, so I stuck a 10ohm 1/2 watt resistor in and fired it up.
It got hot after half a minute, so I shut it off.
Nothing blew.
I disconnected it and did the following;

With the link still disconnected and all other connections made, I checked the voltages on the chips that appear to have the most to do with the fault (?).
On IC5 I have -9.9, -9.9, -4.9, -4.9 and 1-2 volts on pins 1 through 5 respectively, and also -12v on the heatsink.

On IC2 I have -4.9 pin 17 (0), -2.4 pin 18 (0), -0.5 pin 19 (0), 0.1 pin 47 (5), and 0 on pins 39 (5.0), 40 (2.6), 41 (5), 42 (2.6).

I know I'm probably looking at sending it off to get fixed, but it's good when you do something youself. I just don't like the idea of giving up.

I would have liked to have attached the circuit diagram on this page, but the site would not let me due to the size of the file.

Thank's anyway for your help.

S.

.......................I would have liked to have attached the circuit diagram on this page, but the site would not let me due to the size of the file..................

Is there any chance of the manual, even if it's only a jPeg of the Schematic? We might be able to help more if we could see the circuit. I thought i had one but can't find it if i did!

Percy

PD 9300 carriage issue

Hi, just got hold of a PD 9300 and I am experiencing the same/similar issues as mschwilson has described earlier in this post. The machine will not read the TOC on any discs, the tray loads, the disc spins and I can see light emitted from the laser as it focuses but the carriage will not move. The carriage is completely free to move and has no obstructions - it just seems to have no power. mschwilson has provided me with some excellent information and the service manual but my issue is a little different even though the symptoms read very similar i.e. mschwilson had faulty IC22(ICP-N10), IC23(ICP-N10), Q10(2SA1048) & IC2 (CXA1082AS) but I have checked these components as best I can & found them to be ok (some voltages on IC2 suspect but I'm not sure what mode the player should be in when measuring the voltages). I have also checked IC5(TA8410K) the linear carriage motor driver & found the voltages to be ok. I have just measured the resistance of the drive and feedback coils of the linear motor and found the drive to be 18.4Ohms and the feedback coil to be 2.5K Ohms. Also continuity is good for the ribbon cable to the carriage motor. I have since noticed that if I measure the voltage across pins 1 & 2 of the ribbon cable connector without the cable connected I get around 8.5 volts, If I then connect the cable this goes down to zero! I know the motor will move as I have applied some dc from an external source (9v) and the motor moves fine in either direction.
Sorry about the long post but if anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.