Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2010, 08:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PD-9300 Laser pickup (PD-71)

I have just got hold of a Pioneer PD-9300 CD player, it's very impressive in all but it's sound quality because of (I strongly suspect) a failing pick up assembly.
It will read some discs and not others. I have cleaned the lens, but no effect.
There is a possibility that the tracking could be out though.

The pick up is PWY1006 and I would like to know where I could get one, or possibly an alternative. It would be a great shame to have to relegate this player to storage container B1N!
Old 24th March 2010, 08:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Pointyeers - most illogical, Captain

Hello Fastulike - can't really help you but to point you in the usual directions. You might look on Donberg.ie - they sell pioneer mechanisms. The real bad news about Pioneers in my (albeit limited) experience is that they are tricky little SOB's to swap out , unlike Philips, Marantz and many others. They seem to require a Pioneer service disk to adjust / optimise the lasers and an oscilloscope to undertake this. I also recently bought one where the lens fell out the laser mechanism - some say you can glue them back - but YMMV - avoid superglue!
Old 24th March 2010, 08:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon64 View Post
Hello Fastulike - can't really help you but to point you in the usual directions. You might look on Donberg.ie - they sell pioneer mechanisms. The real bad news about Pioneers in my (albeit limited) experience is that they are tricky little SOB's to swap out , unlike Philips, Marantz and many others. They seem to require a Pioneer service disk to adjust / optimise the lasers and an oscilloscope to undertake this. I also recently bought one where the lens fell out the laser mechanism - some say you can glue them back - but YMMV - avoid superglue!
I Agree with you on replacing the pickup laser from a pioneer.
I've replaced a few and it's a real pain in the ***. But not impossible.

I'll try to find out for you what the price is for such a laser unit and will report in a few days.

All the best,

Audiofanatic
Old 24th March 2010, 09:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Pioneer Optical Pick-Up units need mechanically aligning as well as electrically aligning.

They have a 'Grating' alignment to adjust the prism and then one, maybe two 'Tangential' alignments to get the laser 'true' with the disc.

If you haven't got a Service Manual, a dual trace oscilloscope, a steady hand and the patience of a Saint then i'd leave it to an Authorised Pioneer Service Centre. It will cost you though!

Well worth getting repaired, a very nice machine, Pioneers of this vintage have the 'squarest' Digital outs i have seen on players, making, IMHO, for a very sweet sound when used as a Transport.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasulike View Post
I have just got hold of a Pioneer PD-9300 CD player, it's very impressive in all but it's sound quality because of (I strongly suspect) a failing pick up assembly.
It will read some discs and not others. I have cleaned the lens, but no effect.
There is a possibility that the tracking could be out though.

The pick up is PWY1006 and I would like to know where I could get one, or possibly an alternative. It would be a great shame to have to relegate this player to storage container B1N!
This laser unit you will find there:
Gerner Electronics

But please note: it is extremely unlikely in case of Pioneer compact disc players, that the optical pickup is error-causing (in opposite to the SONY pickup's from the KSS-series - here in most cases the pickup is faulty).
Old 25th March 2010, 07:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
..................But please note: it is extremely unlikely in case of Pioneer compact disc players, that the optical pickup is error-causing........................
tiefbassuebertr is right, do replace the spindle motor also, while you're 'in there'. However these rarely fail on thier higher end units too. Slightly better motors in the better players.

Having said that, with the fault you are describing it does sound like the laser/sp motor are having trouble on certain discs. They are 'proper' CD's that are not playing aren't they? If recordable ones, then i would look to the 'burner' first.

Percy
Old 25th March 2010, 09:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the help chaps. I have it working now, but I need to change the spindle motor at some time, as it is making a ticking sound when the disc is spinning, as if the disc is wobbling.
It has also developed a distortion fault in the right channel since coming back from a service, so I think that they have disturbed something in the analogue signal path. There is no distortion when using the optical out and I have not tried the co-ax digital out yet.
Old 19th April 2010, 06:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mschwilson
Hi.
I recently listed a seperate post regarding a PD-9300. I have had no luck with suggestions, so I thought I would ask on your post to see if you could give me any ideas.

Ic22 and 23 (N10's) blow when I insert the laser ribbon cable into the board.
I completely disconnected all the leads and tried inserting it by itself, everything was ok. The next cable I inserted was for the spindle motor, and the ic's blew.
I have tried to trace all over the board to find a commom link between the two, but have got nothing.

I really would just like to ask, the motor reads 20 ohms roughly, is this right?

When disconnected, should the the tracking servo leads read virtually short (I have no idea what the resistance is supposed to be).

And lastly, on the ribbon cable aside from a variable resistor, there are two tiny connections which look like something should be fixed across them, is there something missing which could cause the fault.

I have been at this thing for over a week now, and being just a novice, I am really at the limit of my knowledge.

I really would appreciate any help.

Simon.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Is the spindle motor brushed (e. g. commonly Mabuchi 5V) or brushless (i. e. hall motor, custom made)?
on this photos I cannot find the spindle motor:
Pioneer pd 9300
Klub Mi?o?ników CD Pioneer Reference - Kluby - Forum Audio - Audiostereo.pl
Old 20th April 2010, 06:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwilson View Post
................................I really would just like to ask, the motor reads 20 ohms roughly, is this right?
Yes, this seems about right, so long as, while you're measuring it, give a turn or two and watch the meter, if it goes lower, change it. I would actually change it anyway if you never have done. The Platter height is critical, don't forget to measure it before removing the Platter.

Quote:
..............When disconnected, should the tracking servo leads read virtually short
I would think one of the windings would read low Ohms as one will be the drive and the other will be the feedback, this one reading a little higher. There is no spec'n in the Manual.

Quote:
....................And lastly, on the ribbon cable aside from a variable resistor, there are two tiny connections which look like something should be fixed across them, is there something missing which could cause the fault...................
This is the 'Shorting Link' which should be soldered short when the laser is out of the socket to prevent damage from Static Electricity.............from you!!

Apart from that, it sounds like you have a major problem with the supplies and/or whatever they ...........supply!! What voltages are on the ICP's that blow? Are they the +/-12V?
As far as i know you've only got a maximum supply of +5V going up to the laser via the ribbon, there may be more on the sled drive coil windings, but this will be an output from a drive chip which may be supplied by the supplies which the ICP's are protecting?

Hide this!Advertise here!