Old Skewl Pioneer PD-S904 upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
cpitts is offline cpitts  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Old Skewl Pioneer PD-S904 upgrade

To start: Yes, I've read about a dozen threads on here (and other forums) and am looking for some model specific recommendations.
--------------------------------------
Hey guys and gals (seems mostly guys so far from the posts I've read),

After meeting a new mate right into audio, I've realised there's a great way to make my current kit push a LOT further!

I own a Pioneer PD-S904 CD transport (brought it new a long time ago). It's hooked up to a Musical Fidelity A220 amp (analogue input only).

It's been superb and very nice to listen to all along, but having found that I can push it a LOT further with some healthy mods, I'd like some advice and assistance in Australia (if possible).

From what I've read the easy gets are:
1. Clock upgrade (seems there's a wide variety, from Trichord to Guido's)
2. PSU upgrade and separately powering the clock circuit with a tight clean earth and + / - rail (better cord, better/heavier circuit, better earth, more power)
3. Better RCA's (for L + R out) - Something that'll withstand gold clamp RCA leads
4. Better SPDIF (Coax) RCA - Currently using optical as a 2nd output to theater amp.
5. CAP replacement (seems somewhat random from what I've read)
6. Transistor replacement (again, seems hard to quantify ideal points)

My goal is to improve the sound stage and transparancy of recordings. The MF amp is SO far above the CD transport that it'd be great to stretch it a bit more. But being restricted to the RCA L + R outputs, I need to boost this stage a LOT to improve the output.

I've seen lampisation of this stage, but this seems somewhat extreme, however, if it's achievable at a sensible price/trade-off then I'm certainly interested!

All advice GREATLY accepted.
Old 6th February 2010, 10:43 PM   #2
cpitts is offline cpitts  Australia
diyAudio Member

*bump* Anyone?

Surely there's some great advice to be provided from the good diyaudio people???
Old 6th February 2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default I have a PD-54 Elite...

and have wondered the same things. I think that the old girl does surprisingly well, I have preferred it to many a newer machine and transport/DAC combinations.

Consider a Sony Playstation "SCHP 1001" or the "5001" (these are the North American numbers, Aussie numbers may be different). A huge thread exists here at diyaudio .

When I popped the hood on mine, it had/has separate power supplies for digital and analog. The DAC is Pioneer's own and could be the bottle neck. I wish I'd scraped up more $$$ and bought the PD-63 at the time, but ya never know (I bought on-spec without seeing it). Perhaps a better clock would hep. Do a search all over for "PD-902, PD-54, PD-63 modifications...." , or similar.

Hide this!Advertise here!