DIR1703 vs. CS8416 SPDIF receivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I plan to start some new DAC projects and the great question is the S/PDIF receiver: DIR 1703 or CS8416
benefits: DIR1703 : lower 75pS jitter!; 384xFs recovery ability /to be used with some Digital Filters/
CS8416 : more inputs /8 or 4/ ; easily to buy in BG ; Crystal is tradittional manifacturer of Receivers

Can anyone comment the sound of the one vs the other?? Are 75pS jitter for DIR1703 just "on-paper" better than those of the CS8416?
DACs to try with generally are AD1860, AD1862N-J, AD1955, AD1853.
also I tend to try AD1895 as jitter reduction circuit
Regards

I don't know about the CS8416, but I can say that the DIR1703 is sensitive to high jitter sources and does not tolerate them well. I had a DAC that used one and it proved unusable with a sony CD Walkman optical output. They was random popping added by the receiver, or at least the designer said that's where it was coming from.

Stu

If you are using an AD1896 ASRC you might as well not worry about the jitter in the receiver circuit. The datasheet on the DIR1703 is so illiterate, the reader is left wondering whether the part actually does anything or not. I would avoid it and go for the CS8415.

You can't buy the CS8416 anywhere, as far as I know.

CS8416

Thank you both!
JWB, the AD1895/6 was an option for the higher-end device, but there will be also a design without it. It was told me by a distributor around, that CS8416 and CS8415A can be supplied to me in small quantities for $4.5, so I think this is possible. But now I wonder wheter it is possible to supply parts in Bulgaria that can not be supplied in West Europe :)
By now I have a good experience with the AD1892 Receiver/SRC, but this was the only aviable receiver here before so I couldn't experiment w. others.
DIR1703 is not so frequently mentioned anywhere, but Crystal's receivers have good reputation. I guess I'll go for a design with CS8416 or CS8415A as a replacement.
Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.