S9000 issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,
Recently I bought a SOny DVP-S9000ES DVD/CD player.
Today I tried it for the first time, but to my surprise, when I insert an SACD, it keeps switching back to CD. The seller claims the following:

"hi kryn
please be aware that with the 9000es it does play sacd's, and sounds great
but only a sony sacd will 'light the light'
other brand sacds work well and play to their full potential
but dont always light the sacd light
ie linn deutch grammophone etc
its definatly not broken , it works superbly as listed
i have had 3 of these models, all are the same
and show this characteristic, its part of the design
let me know what you wish to do, but be aware that its working well not faulty in this regard
best wishes
paul"

I have never heard of this before. However, when I inserted one of my few sony discs, indeed the lights all came on. Has anyone heard of this before?

This is not an endemic problem with the 9000, but a sign of trouble. I don't think the seller is being dishonest, but must have had simply bad luck with 9000's. One of two things is going on- either the laser pickup(KHM220AAA, $28usd from dalbani.com) is starting to go south, which is not difficult at all to replace, or the player might be cured by going through the auto-alignment procedure in the service menu, all accessed via a few buttons on the normal remote. If you go to eserviceinfo.com, I believe you will find a free download of the service manual, which contains the procedure. It is, however, more likely the laser needs to be replaced, especially if it also has trouble with anything worse than barely scratched dvd videos.

Thanks, I'll have a look into that!
As a question, many providers (in the UK), seem to sell it as a complete mechanism, but I believe the laser unit itself is also available. The mechanism tends to go for ca 80GBP, which I think is expensive, since it's only the laser unit that needs replacing (from what I understand from you). Does the laser unit have its own partnumber, or is that the KHM220AAA number?
How adviceable is it to buy an "alternative" laser pickup? I am currently looking at a provider that sells the KHM220AAA for 30GBP, and it seems to indicate the mechanism, which sound cheap to me (link: Grandata Online)
What do you think? (I would hhave gone with your link, but I am in the UK, so P&P would probably be more than buying an 80GBP unit in the UK)

The UK site, dalbani.co.uk, has what they list as the complete laser/transport unit KHM220AAA for 54.99GBP currently. I would go with them, as the transport unit is really quick & easy to replace & requires minimal mechanical skills, whereas replacing the laser involves more 'fiddly bits' work. Plus you get a nice new platter motor & tracking motor/drivetrain in the deal. With the USA dalbani.com, I never know until I receive the order whether I'll get just the laser or the complete transport. Last time it was just the laser. The UK site is kind enough to specify & picture the whole transport under the number.

I actually wrote up a complete instructional email w/photos for a client, and can send same to you if you like. You can get me at varacoustic@yahoo.com. With a couple of screwdrivers & an allen/hex wrench, it'll take you 5-10 minutes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.