The Ultimate Sound Improving for Compact Disc's through Patent-Pend.CD Sound Improver - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 04:44 PM   #21
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
So is the bevel on the top (label) side or bottom?

And what sort of surface does the machine leave? Is it ground or polished?

Fran
Give it up. Unless your lathe is wired with braided CAT5 and the motor windings in silver, it won't work.

Then you need to determine which way to spin the disc, while cutting. (I'd make sure all the table legs, in my listening room, were turned in the same direction, for symmetry.)

And finally, if you accidentally plug the lathe in backwards, you'll make it sound worse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 04:54 PM   #22
Serge66 is offline Serge66  Switzerland
diyAudio Member
 
Serge66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canton of Jura
Hi guys,

Would you know where I can buy a demagnetizer for my old vinyls?
I do think the grooves need to be magnetically re-aligned with the magnetic field of our planet. A Northern Hemisphere demag, of course.

Just kidding
Serge
__________________
I simulate, therefore I am.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 04:57 PM   #23
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Actually... one thing I do with all new discs... and have done from day one with no ill effect... is to give them a really good polish with spray on furniture polish. Done for purely practical reasons of keeping the disc clean. And of course it makes the disc pretty anti static, and at a microsopic level may even "fill in" minute invisible marks.

Now some one is bound to say... silicone, that's bad.
Well, the proof is in 25 years or so of owning CD's and they are all still mint
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 05:24 PM   #24
diyAudio Member
 
scott wurcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: cambridge ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Actually... one thing I do with all new discs... and have done from day one with no ill effect... is to give them a really good polish with spray on furniture polish. Done for purely practical reasons of keeping the disc clean. And of course it makes the disc pretty anti static, and at a microsopic level may even "fill in" minute invisible marks.

Now some one is bound to say... silicone, that's bad.
Well, the proof is in 25 years or so of owning CD's and they are all still mint
I just saved a totally unreadable DVD this morning with some Barnsite (a mixture of <.5u cerium oxide and lanthanum oxide used for optical polishing). Sounds like a product in the making, exotic enough sounding to please the tweaker community. You could package up a slurry in little tubes, huge margins guaranteed.

EDIT - Glen's not around to call me an idiot for not knowing that it is also an auto polish, my bad.
__________________
Silence is so accurate.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 27th January 2010 at 05:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 05:54 PM   #25
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I just saved a totally unreadable DVD this morning with some Barnsite (a mixture of <.5u cerium oxide and lanthanum oxide used for optical polishing). Sounds like a product in the making, exotic enough sounding to please the tweaker community. You could package up a slurry in little tubes, huge margins guaranteed.

EDIT - Glen's not around to call me an idiot for not knowing that it is also an auto polish, my bad.
Lol... you could be on to a winner there Scott
Now (don't laugh)... but when faced with a damaged disc I really really want to record (sorry play, I meant play) from the local libraries I have used this on a cotton bud on a pcb drill at low speed. It's good, a real abrasive polish specially for removing scratches.
--|PLASTICCLEAN|PLASTIC POLISH | CPC
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 06:17 PM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron7 View Post
1 = 1, 0 = 0. How would this "sound improver" affect that?

This would make some sense if there were actually 0s and 1s on the cd.

I have been done with cds for a while, so zero interest in improving them but people i know and trust actually swear by the diy equivalents of the above devices.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 06:29 PM   #27
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
This would make some sense if there were actually 0s and 1s on the cd.
At last, someone who understands
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 07:05 PM   #28
diyAudio Member
 
event horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Midlands, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I just saved a totally unreadable DVD this morning with some Barnsite (a mixture of <.5u cerium oxide and lanthanum oxide used for optical polishing). Sounds like a product in the making, exotic enough sounding to please the tweaker community. You could package up a slurry in little tubes, huge margins guaranteed.

EDIT - Glen's not around to call me an idiot for not knowing that it is also an auto polish, my bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Lol... you could be on to a winner there Scott
Now (don't laugh)... but when faced with a damaged disc I really really want to record (sorry play, I meant play) from the local libraries I have used this on a cotton bud on a pcb drill at low speed. It's good, a real abrasive polish specially for removing scratches.
--|PLASTICCLEAN|PLASTIC POLISH | CPC
Indeed, i use Brasso (perfect for polishing plastic) Just make sure you polish the disc backwards & forwards from the centre to the exterior, NEVER around the disc! It works a treat as long as the scratch is on the read side of the disc. If it's on top it'll probably have damaged the reflective layer & there is no saving it.


Didn't Krell manufacture a player that flooded the transport with green light to do something about so called reflections from the disc edge? I'm not into too much snake oil but apparently some red laser light can be reflected though the disc & be picked up on reflection (oh yeah) & be reflected again & mess up a perfectly good reading.

Not sure i believe it myself, could be the MD10 transport that has this. I can't see into my DT10 to see if it has the same. However i'm sure there are so called "CD pens" out there that are designed to put green pen onto the very outer edge of the CD disc to approximate the same thing.

Weird
__________________
"Never let your morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 07:56 PM   #29
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by event horizon View Post
Didn't Krell manufacture a player that flooded the transport with green light

An arguably more conservative company - Studer - also used a green LED in the D732. Not sure how much this improved anything but it still sounded disastrous, likely due to the TDA1305 dac and 5532 opamps
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 10:03 PM   #30
diyAudio Member
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
An arguably more conservative company - Studer - also used a green LED in the D732.
I suspect that is more likely illumination so you can see that there is a disc in the player and that it's rotating, hence the 'window' in the front of the drawer too. The ReVox B225 and Studer A725 also lit up the disc, as did all the early Philips-based machines.
__________________
Steerpike's Toybox
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra Compact Sound System jonkun227 Everything Else 4 28th July 2008 04:44 PM
Improving Sound Quality of a car amp coki Car Audio 0 25th June 2007 04:50 PM
Further improving the sound of my fostex BLH wboyd Full Range 8 1st February 2006 05:23 PM
Improving sound card digital section - beginner questions halcyon Digital Source 3 21st November 2005 12:39 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2