The Ultimate Sound Improving for Compact Disc's through Patent-Pend.CD Sound Improver - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2010, 04:44 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
So is the bevel on the top (label) side or bottom?

And what sort of surface does the machine leave? Is it ground or polished?

Fran
Give it up. Unless your lathe is wired with braided CAT5 and the motor windings in silver, it won't work.

Then you need to determine which way to spin the disc, while cutting. (I'd make sure all the table legs, in my listening room, were turned in the same direction, for symmetry.)

And finally, if you accidentally plug the lathe in backwards, you'll make it sound worse.
Old 27th January 2010, 04:54 PM   #22
Serge66 is offline Serge66  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

Would you know where I can buy a demagnetizer for my old vinyls?
I do think the grooves need to be magnetically re-aligned with the magnetic field of our planet. A Northern Hemisphere demag, of course.

Just kidding
Serge
Old 27th January 2010, 04:57 PM   #23
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Actually... one thing I do with all new discs... and have done from day one with no ill effect... is to give them a really good polish with spray on furniture polish. Done for purely practical reasons of keeping the disc clean. And of course it makes the disc pretty anti static, and at a microsopic level may even "fill in" minute invisible marks.

Now some one is bound to say... silicone, that's bad.
Well, the proof is in 25 years or so of owning CD's and they are all still mint
Old 27th January 2010, 05:24 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Actually... one thing I do with all new discs... and have done from day one with no ill effect... is to give them a really good polish with spray on furniture polish. Done for purely practical reasons of keeping the disc clean. And of course it makes the disc pretty anti static, and at a microsopic level may even "fill in" minute invisible marks.

Now some one is bound to say... silicone, that's bad.
Well, the proof is in 25 years or so of owning CD's and they are all still mint
I just saved a totally unreadable DVD this morning with some Barnsite (a mixture of <.5u cerium oxide and lanthanum oxide used for optical polishing). Sounds like a product in the making, exotic enough sounding to please the tweaker community. You could package up a slurry in little tubes, huge margins guaranteed.

EDIT - Glen's not around to call me an idiot for not knowing that it is also an auto polish, my bad.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 27th January 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 27th January 2010, 05:54 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I just saved a totally unreadable DVD this morning with some Barnsite (a mixture of <.5u cerium oxide and lanthanum oxide used for optical polishing). Sounds like a product in the making, exotic enough sounding to please the tweaker community. You could package up a slurry in little tubes, huge margins guaranteed.

EDIT - Glen's not around to call me an idiot for not knowing that it is also an auto polish, my bad.
Lol... you could be on to a winner there Scott
Now (don't laugh)... but when faced with a damaged disc I really really want to record (sorry play, I meant play) from the local libraries I have used this on a cotton bud on a pcb drill at low speed. It's good, a real abrasive polish specially for removing scratches.
--|PLASTICCLEAN|PLASTIC POLISH | CPC
Old 27th January 2010, 06:17 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron7 View Post
1 = 1, 0 = 0. How would this "sound improver" affect that?

This would make some sense if there were actually 0s and 1s on the cd.

I have been done with cds for a while, so zero interest in improving them but people i know and trust actually swear by the diy equivalents of the above devices.
Old 27th January 2010, 06:29 PM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
This would make some sense if there were actually 0s and 1s on the cd.
At last, someone who understands
Old 27th January 2010, 07:05 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Lol... you could be on to a winner there Scott
Now (don't laugh)... but when faced with a damaged disc I really really want to record (sorry play, I meant play) from the local libraries I have used this on a cotton bud on a pcb drill at low speed. It's good, a real abrasive polish specially for removing scratches.
--|PLASTICCLEAN|PLASTIC POLISH | CPC
Indeed, i use Brasso (perfect for polishing plastic) Just make sure you polish the disc backwards & forwards from the centre to the exterior, NEVER around the disc! It works a treat as long as the scratch is on the read side of the disc. If it's on top it'll probably have damaged the reflective layer & there is no saving it.

Didn't Krell manufacture a player that flooded the transport with green light to do something about so called reflections from the disc edge? I'm not into too much snake oil but apparently some red laser light can be reflected though the disc & be picked up on reflection (oh yeah) & be reflected again & mess up a perfectly good reading.

Not sure i believe it myself, could be the MD10 transport that has this. I can't see into my DT10 to see if it has the same. However i'm sure there are so called "CD pens" out there that are designed to put green pen onto the very outer edge of the CD disc to approximate the same thing.

Weird
Old 27th January 2010, 07:56 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by event horizon View Post
Didn't Krell manufacture a player that flooded the transport with green light

An arguably more conservative company - Studer - also used a green LED in the D732. Not sure how much this improved anything but it still sounded disastrous, likely due to the TDA1305 dac and 5532 opamps
Old 27th January 2010, 10:03 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
An arguably more conservative company - Studer - also used a green LED in the D732.
I suspect that is more likely illumination so you can see that there is a disc in the player and that it's rotating, hence the 'window' in the front of the drawer too. The ReVox B225 and Studer A725 also lit up the disc, as did all the early Philips-based machines.

Hide this!Advertise here!