The Ultimate Sound Improving for Compact Disc's through Patent-Pend.CD Sound Improver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2010, 10:09 AM   #11
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Why is there not a section on the forum for ""Snake Oil """???

Andy

Old 27th January 2010, 10:24 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynton View Post
Why is there not a section on the forum for ""Snake Oil """???
We tried that. Unfortunately, there was a perception among the gullible that snake oil was not to be called such, but treated with the same dignity and respect as real technology. So... no more snake oil section.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
I'm not defending this overpriced product, but have you guys ever noticed how out of balance cd's are? I'm guessing the device will true up the disc edges. This in turn should mean less wobble when the disc is spinning inside the player. I'm sure something could be constructed to acheive the same for far less.
Interesting. This "wobble" (eccentricity accross imbalance) I have sometimes note. Especially if there are a slightly refused motor shaft bearing from the disc motor; then such discs dosn't play without dropouts.
In case of "Blu Ray" RPM's turns the player to an UFO in such cases - so I think.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 27th January 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:31 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
As for degaussing the disc? how does that work? Less static? cleaner surface? Does the charge being removed by the degaussing process interfere with the laser? .......
Degaussing should be magnetic .......isn't it ? You must be refering to the antistatic gun ?
Old 27th January 2010, 10:43 AM   #15
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Remember this and you won't go far wrong... that "Everybody is after your money"
Old 27th January 2010, 12:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Just throwing this out there.... have any of you ever actaully done a comparison between a treated and non-treated disc (or know of someone you trust you did one)?

We don't want automatically closed minds, even if it looks like bullsh1t and smells like bullsh1t...... well it might be audio grade bullsh1t!!!

The reason I ask is that I have various lathes here and it would be easy enough to replicate what the machine does. Does anyone know the angle of the bevel it uses?

Fran
Old 27th January 2010, 01:26 PM   #17
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
45 degrees

But it may be 135 degrees

as there is a difference.

Andy

Old 27th January 2010, 01:28 PM   #18
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I'm not here to defend these products, but...

Three things in my limited experience.

- a standard "heavy duty" tape demag unit seems to often have some sort of effect upon the playback.
- a subjective comparison here between two identical model and mfr "decks" running only as a transport easily shows audible "differences" between them
- the subjective quality of CD playback seems to vary all over the map due to things like SPDIF cables, power cables, transports, DACs, etc...

The "bits is bits" idea is fine, but out in the real world it seems to rarely work out that way...

Again, I am not posting in support of these products, just mentioning that apparently there are variables in "digital playback" that cause listeners to report audible differences.

_-_-bear
Old 27th January 2010, 02:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Just throwing this out there.... have any of you ever actaully done a comparison between a treated and non-treated disc (or know of someone you trust you did one)?

We don't want automatically closed minds, even if it looks like bullsh1t and smells like bullsh1t...... well it might be audio grade bullsh1t!!!

The reason I ask is that I have various lathes here and it would be easy enough to replicate what the machine does. Does anyone know the angle of the bevel it uses?

Fran
They said 36 degrees "was the sweet spot", I don't know from what axis but presume the shallow one. I'm not sure if you need to do it pre or post cryo .
Old 27th January 2010, 04:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

So is the bevel on the top (label) side or bottom?

And what sort of surface does the machine leave? Is it ground or polished?

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!