All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series

well, it's been almost a year since i did the repair described below on my x779es. i am happy to report that even though my use of the machine has at least doubled in the past year (now spinning discs apprx 31 hrs/week) , i have experienced absolutely NONE of the previously mentioned symptoms since the repairs.

if anybody out there has a machine in this family and is comfortable doing the work, do so; it's a good fix.
:cool:

mlloyd1

tubeboob:

i did my own repairs. however, as i get older i find i enjoy doing repair work less and less though. i guess it's my 55 years old eyes and fingers, while electronics keeps getting smaller.

i have seen no problems with the machine since the repairs, but it was a very intermittent issue, so it's probably too early to declare victory ...
:)

ilimzn's original message contains the useful info:

"The solution is simple: change R961 from 4.7k to 820 ohms.
There are a few optional steps that can be taken to further improve things, including long term reliability:
Changing C963 from 2200uF/10V to say 4700uF/6.3V additionally improves Vee stiffness and stability. Often just doing that without the R961 fix reduces the skipping problem, clearly showing Vee is the culprit.
The 5V output is invariably a bit high, around 5.2 - 5.3V. It can be trimmed closer to 5.1V as stated in the manual by soldering a 27k resistor in parallel to R956, on the bottom side of the board. This is important because the laser head is supplied with this voltage, so overvolting is not at all desirable here. The 6V voltage (incorrectly labeled as 7V in the manual!) is not that critical and can be left alone."

i made all the recommended changes.

mlloyd1

good overview - thank you.

the mentioned item numbers of laser diodes under post #17 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/225968-toshiba-dlba2z002b-laser.html
are suited not only for the KSS-151A. I think, this diode is suited for the most of the KSS-series also for KSS-272A, KSS-273A and KSS-274A.
The actually question is now, which companies are there to carry out the exchange and the follow adjust of the APC circuit.
Google provides still some suppliers of the diodes itself, if you use the key words "KSS-151A" and "ebay". The showed diodes are also suitable for the most other optical pick up devices from SONY (like KSS152, KSS271, KSS150), as mentioned in the previous posting, and this diodes are successors for the used diodes at those days, the SLD-104U.
Here an example found by Google in Germany:
5 piece Sony KSS-151A Laser Lens LD Laser Diode 780nm 3-5mw 5.6mm | eBay
Unfortunately I am still not able to find those company, which are able to remove the old diode replace the new diode include all necessary mechanical adjustments.
Who can help to find such companies or guys?

Last edited:
Hi, I just want to know whether KSS213D and KSS213DH are compatible to each other. I have sony MHC RV22 that uses uses Optical pickup assembly with the code KSM213DHAP. It seems to have a strange problem. The laser diode of the optical pickup continuously glows every time even when the radio, tape or AUX is selected. When selected to CD mode, each disc will rotate two times and then "NO DISC" will be displayed . Is this the problem with the tracking and focus IC (which happens to be CX2581N) or it's just compatibility issues?
Thanks.

Hi, I just want to know whether KSS213D and KSS213DH are compatible to each other. I have sony MHC RV22 that uses uses Optical pickup assembly with the code KSM213DHAP. It seems to have a strange problem.
The laser diode of the optical pickup continuously glows every time even when the radio, tape or AUX is selected.
When selected to CD mode, each disc will rotate two times and then "NO DISC" will be displayed . Is this the problem with the tracking and focus IC (which happens to be CX2581N) or it's just compatibility issues?
Thanks.
Check the APC circuit - therefore you need a service manual or at least the schematic diagram.
For datasheets ask there
http://wwwthreesixty.en.ecplaza.net/optical-pickup-kss-213c-kss--187950-1074588.html
and check out this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...213f-kss213v-kss213vs-kss213q-difference.html
Please note: "KSM" means the mechanism without loader, "KSS" means the optical pickup itself, that means without mechanism, i. e. without discmotor (spindle motor) and sleed motor and plate.

Google provides still some suppliers of the diodes itself, if you use the key words "KSS-151A" and "ebay". The showed diodes are also suitable for the most other optical pick up devices from SONY (like KSS152, KSS271, KSS150), as mentioned in the previous posting, and this diodes are successors for the used diodes at those days, the SLD-104U.
Here an example found by Google in Germany:
5 piece Sony KSS-151A Laser Lens LD Laser Diode 780nm 3-5mw 5.6mm | eBay
Unfortunately I am still not able to find those company, which are able to remove the old diode replace the new diode include all necessary mechanical adjustments.
Who can help to find such companies or guys?
any news?
this videos are not helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-CPOD6WPnw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7rcBZzoHk
but nevertheless there are a lot of suppliers from such single laser diodes for this optical pick up model and other from KSS-series - e. g.
https://m.alibaba.com/product/521546754/304-6FR-6FN-780nm-AInfrared-IR.html
304 6FR 6FN 780nm AInfrared IR laser diode For KSS-151A KSS151A laser lens, ando, China, 60mW 780nm Manufacturers & Exporters & import - Makepolo.com
http://1034938.en.makepolo.com/products/KSS-151A-Laser-Lens-LD-Laser-p42099572.html
2pcs Sony 780nm 3 5mW 5 6mm KSS 151A Laser Lens LD Laser Diode New | eBay
To which companies resp. service centers I can send the old KSS-151A or KSS-272A for refurbishing service ? I don't understand, why the suppliers of the laser diodes this don't know.
Thanks for advices.

Last edited:
SONY CDP X559ES

HI guys,

As many people out there is looking for some info about KSS mechanisms I´ve come accros this thread.

I have an SONY CDP X559 ES. I bought it a year ago for 250 €. I really like this player. Great buy, but in last few weeks Im observing tiny drop outs, like short skips just in some tracks every few seconds. Sometimes is working flawlessly sometimes I notice it 10 times in one track. However everything is working just fine. It read all disks and all songs, no troubles all. Just this little miliseconds lasting cliks or swirls if you want. Usually on the first half of CD.

Pls what is an your opinion on this issue? is it laser dieing or it just needs to clean and relubricate rails.

Any help appreciated

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I just wanted to revitalize this thread because I have scored a working x777es and I would like to learn if there is a success story in replacing only the diode at this current day?

I am using the x777es very reluctantly, praying at the sampling rate that it does not start showing any degradation in performance, yet, I am very much interested learning about any solution regarding the diode replacement.

Best Wishes
Dirk

Hello,

I just wanted to revitalize this thread because I have scored a working x777es and I would like to learn if there is a success story in replacing only the diode at this current day?

I am using the x777es very reluctantly, praying at the sampling rate that it does not start showing any degradation in performance, yet, I am very much interested learning about any solution regarding the diode replacement.

Best Wishes
Dirk
check out post #35 under
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...04u-sony-esprit-kss-series-4.html#post5465019

Sony's laser heads above KSS-120 by far the worst of all (life time, reliability), even the models for the ESPRIT series like KSS-272A. Two main reasons are therefore responsible:
1) the suspension of the collimator lens (plastic leaf spring instead spring wire)

That may sound stupid, but let me ask anyway: does it make sense to stock spare units upside down, so the plastic leaf is no more bend in one way (gravity) or is it the moving while playing that worns it out? Can't figure what count the most here.

We are still working on repacing the laser diodes. "We" means that
especially one person active @diyaudio works in the moment at replacing the Diode in a KSS-190A, the first linear driven laser heads. I am the donor of the KSS-190 and also bought some diodes,
he has developed (and financed) a tool to adjust the grating.
As work is done in the spare time, it will probably take until xmas
until we know if replacements of diodes are doable...

We are still working on repacing the laser diodes. "We" means that
especially one person active @diyaudio works in the moment at replacing the Diode in a KSS-190A, the first linear driven laser heads. I am the donor of the KSS-190 and also bought some diodes,
he has developed (and financed) a tool to adjust the grating.
As work is done in the spare time, it will probably take until xmas
until we know if replacements of diodes are doable...

Hello Salar is there any update?

I do appreciate what you guys doing!!

I have three sony cdp-707esd and i like them to keep working ...

Thank you!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Sorry, but I am just slammed with work still. That and I am waiting for another tool to show up. These are being 3-D printed using a liquid that forms a solid when hit with a laser beam. So the heat catalyzes the "goo". I spent about $300 on one batch of the stuff (this version of the goo is not inexpensive at all). I'm anxious to receive these things and it is causing everything to be held up. Sorry for that. But specialty tools that have to be created take time and cost money. Or, less time but (a lot) more money. I have to go the less expensive route, but I already have $300 tied up in this. Never mind how much the person designing and printing this stuff wants.

Best, Chris

Hi John,
Sorry, but I am just slammed with work still. That and I am waiting for another tool to show up. These are being 3-D printed using a liquid that forms a solid when hit with a laser beam. So the heat catalyzes the "goo". I spent about $300 on one batch of the stuff (this version of the goo is not inexpensive at all). I'm anxious to receive these things and it is causing everything to be held up. Sorry for that. But specialty tools that have to be created take time and cost money. Or, less time but (a lot) more money. I have to go the less expensive route, but I already have $300 tied up in this. Never mind how much the person designing and printing this stuff wants.

Best, Chris

Hi Chris

I understand i hope its all going to work out!